Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully todays performance answers some queries that people have had about him not being able to dominate at this level.

Hopefully todays performance answers some queries that people have had about him not being able to dominate at this level.

I would guess the queries are more to do with his consistency to play at this level not his ability to do it in one game (VFL grand final 2 years ago or today).

Consistency of performance will earn him a game. Today is a step in the right direction. He can't go back to having 16 disposals next week.

I would guess the queries are more to do with his consistency to play at this level not his ability to do it in one game (VFL grand final 2 years ago or today).

Consistency of performance will earn him a game. Today is a step in the right direction. He can't go back to having 16 disposals next week.

He’s last 2 VFL games have been elite

Effectively the start of his second season at VFL level given last year was a washout playing dodgy 15 a side game scratch matches in the hub. All the talk from those at the club has been about how he has improved his fitness and gotten stronger and better at covering the ground, today it would appear that he backed up that talk by performing on the field.

No question that he has to become consistent in his performances at this level to keep his name up for selection and as Clarke mentioned last week, he also needs to be able to handle when he gets close attention to round out his game to become a more complete midfielder.

Effectively the start of his second season at VFL level given last year was a washout playing dodgy 15 a side game scratch matches in the hub. All the talk from those at the club has been about how he has improved his fitness and gotten stronger and better at covering the ground, today it would appear that he backed up that talk by performing on the field.

No question that he has to become consistent in his performances at this level to keep his name up for selection and as Clarke mentioned last week, he also needs to be able to handle when he gets close attention to round out his game to become a more complete midfielder.

15 a side with players playing the oppo...

I feel the match committee made a mistake picking Martyn over this guy. Went for the player that could cover more ground instead of the player who could win the ball at the coal face.

They won't make that mistake again next time the opportunity is there. He has to be next in line now after today's performance.

I feel the match committee made a mistake picking Martyn over this guy. Went for the player that could cover more ground instead of the player who could win the ball at the coal face.

They won't make that mistake again next time the opportunity is there. He has to be next in line now after today's performance.

They made a fair point in why they picked Martyn

I don't think it was a huge issue , Martyn had good preseason form too *

Assuming dawks doesn't go to saints next season for more game time

People have to be a bit more patient imho

martyn didn't actually get a look on ball though, mainly wing and only 50% tog, we brought in ross & martyn (2 midfielders) to play in rioli (small fwd/flank) and kamdyn's (wing) roles. no matter the performances it was just weird overall, at least ross attended a few centre bounces and got a better run at it than martyn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

martyn didn't actually get a look on ball though, mainly wing and only 50% tog, we brought in ross & martyn (2 midfielders) to play in rioli (small fwd/flank) and kamdyn's (wing) roles. no matter the performances it was just weird overall, at least ross attended a few centre bounces and got a better run at it than martyn

It's because Dimma doesn't trust these young mids - Ross, Martyn, Dow, RCD, whoever.

If they get a game it's very limited TOG when they can't do anything or get comfortable and they are usually played out of position and dropped pretty quickly. The older mids are mainly rotated through centre bounce - Cotch, Martin, Edwards, etc.

The treatment of Ross this year far has not been great. Sub, limited game time out of position then dropped then sub.

It's hard to argue with the results but at some point these young mids are going to need extended time in there to develop and/or they will leave for better opportunity. It is balancing act. Don't want young mids not developing or leaving when Cotchin, Edwards and co are falling in a heap due to age.

Hoping the penny has dropped.

Play 2-3 of these games, ensuring his defensive pressure is there, and he will play in the seniors before the bye.

But yeah, no free games at Richmond lol
He was 2nd BOG in the GF and hasn't played since mainly due to Covid. Not sure he's could do to much more than he has, a bit like Ross who can't get a game. Both would be playing in every other side in the league. Free games you say.

He was 2nd BOG in the GF and hasn't played since mainly due to Covid. Not sure he's could do to much more than he has, a bit like Ross who can't get a game. Both would be playing in every other side in the league. Free games you say.
Yeah, no free games. Better than St. Kilda who are playing Brad Hill every week hahaha

One of the most pleasing things for me was that he had 7 tackles. His lack of defensive pressure was talked about a lot last year. If he can continue finding the ball 20ish times a game to go with a handful of tackles, he will debut soon enough.

I personally would give him a run after this game. Reward the kid for his performance. If players like Martyn, Mansell, Dow etc can all get debuts after solid games in the VFL, surely a clear BOG performance should help him debut.

Giving Martyn a taste was exactly the right thing to do . I’d also give RCD another look at VFL , not uncommon for young blokes to have a ripper and then a shocker . Bolton’s only just now starting to get some sort constancy . I’d rather see RCD come into the side for a 4-6 week block a couple of weeks back at VFL level then prepare for finals .

Imagine copping a Dimma spray. He would rip your head off.
Rkn a Dimma spray would kill your soul as well because you know that you have disappointed him

We should be playing 2 kids every week for development with the list demographic we have

Richmond are in a very unique position as we have been taking all our picks the last 4 years and investing in the youth whilst winning flags and going deep into september. Currently we have 10 kids that would be getting games at lower clubs that cant break into our line up
RCD , Ross , Martyn , CJ , Stack , Naish , Ralphsmith , Miller , Garthwaite , Dow with Nyuon,Samson & MJ also showing signs

Then we will have another 4/5 kids coming this year

Richmond are in a very enviable position and if we get our draft picks right this draft we will be setting ourself's up for the next 10 years at the top

Remove this Banner Ad

Back