Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Match ups?!

We needed another mid when it was just Prestia out. Now with Prestia and Martin and Lambert out it's a no brainer.

Match ups is a cop out, this game is crying out for an RCD type big bodied midfielder against the best midfield in the comp. In all honesty, probably at least 2 of Ross, RCD and Martyn need to play this week.
Besides Cotchin we have no players that put body on body, and even that was missing last week. Graham chases and harasses but rarely gets down and dirty first hands to the ball. RCD does that, and tackles really hard as well. Ross in another that gets hands on the ball and tackles well. Pickett can do it but you'd rather not use his class in the trenches. Edwards the same.

Dogs get first hands on the ball through Libba and co. Need heat at the coalface which was very poor against Melbourne. Match committee need to be proactive instead of saying it was a bad week. Without Dusty, Prestia and Lambert our midfield is a bit slim. Need some big strong bodies in there, Ross and RCD.

Chasing arse all game by the sounds of it. Looks like we were jumped by a good side, probably a bit flat coming off 30 possession game the week before and dominating.
Hope so but Naish racked up 29 possessions and he is not really a competitive beast.

Match ups?!

We needed another mid when it was just Prestia out. Now with Prestia and Martin and Lambert out it's a no brainer.

Match ups is a cop out, this game is crying out for an RCD type big bodied midfielder against the best midfield in the comp. In all honesty, probably at least 2 of Ross, RCD and Martyn need to play this week.
Hey Iโ€™d love to see him play, I think 99.99% of Tiger fans are keen to see what he has to offer.
But donโ€™t think matchups is a cop out, every week the club would be assessing the best team balance to beat the opposition. RCD probably competing with Martyn (Ross seems a certainty) and maybe a few positional changes eg George and Bakes perhaps even Caddy some midfield time

Hey Iโ€™d love to see him play, I think 99.99% of Tiger fans are keen to see what he has to offer.
But donโ€™t think matchups is a cop out, every week the club would be assessing the best team balance to beat the opposition. RCD probably competing with Martyn (Ross seems a certainty) and maybe a few positional changes eg George and Bakes perhaps even Caddy some midfield time
I really hope they don't go the default in of Josh Caddy.
3 clubs have tried him as a midfielder and he hasn't been able to succeed in the role consistently at any of them. His best footy was as a half forward/ pseudo KPF and it's the only role he's really excelled at in 168 games

Match ups?!

I think it'll come down to whether the match committee want to continue with Ross or provide the opportunity to RCD.

I really hope they don't go the default in of Josh Caddy.
3 clubs have tried him as a midfielder and he hasn't been able to succeed in the role consistently at any of them. His best footy was as a half forward/ pseudo KPF and it's the only role he's really excelled at in 168 games
Yer I was just Josh as an example but remember back a couple of years ago when we had a large chunk of our midfield injured and we ran Vlaustin and I think Caddy through the midfield (limited game time).
We could look at something similar this week. Itโ€™s not ideal but desperate times desperate measures.
I hope out of all this we can see one of our developing mids grasp their opportunity

I think it'll come down to whether the match committee want to continue with Ross or provide the opportunity to RCD.
I think there's room for both this week for sure against the Dogs who bat really deep there.
Prestia, Martin, Lambert. That's some big shoes to fill that should mean both can easily play. We've got to start thinking as well that Cotchin is sadly on the decline and doesn't look like he can play as a full time ball winner, Martin is now more of a forward and Shane Edwards is 32.

There's definitely spots for both Ross and RCD to cement as mids for us for the next 5-10 years if they are good enough. We need to get them in before they both piss off for more opportunity at other clubs and we are left with an empty cupboard.

You'd put George and Caddy up against the doggies mids! Maybe the wing (George) and release Pickett to the mid full time.

I think there's room for both this week for sure against the Dogs who bat really deep there.
Prestia, Martin, Lambert. That's some big shoes to fill that should mean both can easily play. We've got to start thinking as well that Cotchin is sadly on the decline and doesn't look like he can play as a full time ball winner, Martin is now more of a forward and Shane Edwards is 32.

There's definitely spots for both Ross and RCD to cement as mids for us for the next 5-10 years if they are good enough. We need to get them in before they both piss off for more opportunity at other clubs and we are left with an empty cupboard.
Agree on all accounts. Sometimes you have to take a gamble and pick a player for what they could be rather than going back to what has been tried before.

You may be forgetting who I think will be our best young mid coming through? Young Dow looks like he just has something about him for mine. Clean hands and great vision. Such a shame heโ€™s had the appendix issue

You may be forgetting who I think will be our best young mid coming though? Young Dow looks like he just has something about him for mine. Clean hands and great vision. Such a shame heโ€™s had the appendix issue
He hasn't played any VFL yet this year. No chance to come in.

I agree though that he'll be a player for us in the future.

You'd put George and Caddy up against the doggies mids! Maybe the wing (George) and release Pickett to the mid full time.
My point was to rotate extra players through the midfield. We canโ€™t rely on Shedda ,Shai and Cotch to play extra midfield time we need to spread the load. The names I threw up were just examples. Pickett certainly in that mix

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point was to rotate extra players through the midfield. We canโ€™t rely on Shedda ,Shai and Cotch to play extra midfield time we need to spread the load. The names I threw up were just examples. Pickett certainly in that mix
I think those extra players should be young players, otherwise when are they ever going to get a gig. The only one going anywhere might be Cotchin, the rest are all still under 30, besides Edwards who is getting younger. No Prestia, Martin, Lambert and Cotchin struggled the other night, if not now then when.

I think those extra players should be young players, otherwise when are they ever going to get a gig. The only one going anywhere might be Cotchin, the rest are all still under 30, besides Edwards who is getting younger. No Prestia, Martin, Lambert and Cotchin struggled the other night, if not now then when.
Hey agree Iโ€™ve been banging on about bringing in one of young mids to replace a small forward for a couple of years and now with the injuries to gun mids itโ€™s the time to do it.
I still think we may look at rotating a few senior guys through the midfield role regardless of who we bring in from the 2s.

If he doesn't play this week might as well lock the thread cause hes gone. Missing 3 mids and needing a big body who can run. If it's not now it's never with his apparent VFL form.
No tank.
Whats the point playing him against a side like the dogs.

No tank.
No tank looks like a bit of a myth two weeks ago in the VFL. Besides he has other attributes which would be good against the dogs. He hits hard, is big and he can break away from their mids who whilst are great getters and runners, except Smith are not overly fast. Might be the secret weapon, Bolton, Pickett, Edwards are all quick.
p.s forgot about Treloar.
Fair midfield really.

No tank looks like a bit of a myth two weeks ago in the VFL. Besides he has other attributes which would be good against the dogs. He hits hard, is big and he can break away from their mids who whilst are great getters and runners, except Smith are not overly fast. Might be the secret weapon, Bolton, Pickett, Edwards are all quick.
p.s forgot about Treloar.
Fair midfield really.
If he had all those attributes he'd already be in the side.

No tank.
If he still isnt fit enough to play now then he never will be. hes not expected to play 100% game time running from square to square. he'd be expected to play sub 60% game time as an interchange, jsut like martyn against port. if he cant do that after 3 preseasons, then he's gone

It's such a tough ask and is a double edged sword. If he doesn't get a game now its the "Not good enough to get a game" routine, but if he gets a game now due to other's injuries and plays sub-expectation against quality oppo midfield with our understrength midfield, then he'll cop "He's crap and will never make it" and it may be detrimental longer term.

We as the Tiger faithful need to temper expectations of his performance especially when we already have Martin, Lambert and Prestia out. If he performs well, then that's great. But if his performance is sub-par we can't then give him a flogging on BF.

I'd love him to get a game, but only when he's ready. And surely the coaching staff know when that will be better than us watching from the cheap seats.

If he still isnt fit enough to play now then he never will be. hes not expected to play 100% game time running from square to square. he'd be expected to play sub 60% game time as an interchange, jsut like martyn against port. if he cant do that after 3 preseasons, then he's gone
Then I'd say he's stuffed.

You expecting to win? I'm not. Perfect time to debut a player. And give CJ his second game.
No problem giving CJ a go.
Not expecting to win so why throw someone who's lacking confidence up against a midfield like the doggies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back