Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes the injuries plague the younger players like Riley, combined with the competition for a specific spot.
It is not a charity.
In contrast, Hugo is progressing brilliantly.
Riley's difficulty is that he has been competing for a slot in one of the greatest midfields of all time.
If RCD doesn't play one or two match winning senior games this year, his position is unsustainable.

Last edited:
Thank god someone else who can see the truth about RCD. Ralphsmith has built a tank and gone straight past him in the pecking order. By years end another couple of youngsters will also. He's on the list but I'm sick of excuses for this bloke.
Cool story bro !!!

Except Hugo was an elite athlete and brilliant Runner prior to his draft and didnt need to build sh!t

Maybe try again or atleast do some research rather than just make things up.

But let me help you out here
Hugo Ralphsmith ran a 6.12 in the 2klm time trial at the combine but to put that in perspective see below of the types of players that run these times
6:01 - 6:15 min = Elite AFL Player (Billy Hartung/Sam Gibson/Bradley Hill/Johnny Rayner/Patrick Ambrose/Tom Scully)

Now this is even before he was drafted and his agility , leap and speed were also considered elite, You would imagine being a great athlete he would be improving these numbers at a rapid rate with such a good base to begin with.

Last edited:
Thank god someone else who can see the truth about RCD. Ralphsmith has built a tank and gone straight past him in the pecking order. By years end another couple of youngsters will also. He's on the list but I'm sick of excuses for this bloke.

For those that believe he'll be a good player, how long will it take? How many games does he need to play? Does he have to lock in a permanent position in the team by years end and if he doesn't do we use the excuse of a poor engine and give him another season? The protection and excuses for this bloke are over the top. It's time for him to grab his chance or be sent packing. He's a laconic footballer who does not show enough desperation to build an elite engine required to make the jump to senior quality. I think your 100% correct in stating as a full time professional it is an indictment on him to not have an elite tank by now.

Unless there is a massive improvement by years end RCD, Ross and Martin should be delisted and others youngsters given a chance.
I rate Ralphsmith and thought he was really good on Saturday, but I don't think I've actually seen him attend a centre bounce yet. Very different role to RCD - it's like comparing Short to Graham.

For those that believe he'll be a good player, how long will it take? How many games does he need to play? Does he have to lock in a permanent position in the team by years end and if he doesn't do we use the excuse of a poor engine and give him another season? The protection and excuses for this bloke are over the top. It's time for him to grab his chance or be sent packing. He's a laconic footballer who does not show enough desperation to build an elite engine required to make the jump to senior quality. I think your 100% correct in stating as a full time professional it is an indictment on him to not have an elite tank by now.

Unless there is a massive improvement by years end RCD, Ross and Martin should be delisted and others youngsters given a chance.

Love your passion!! Can you explain how he’s laconic? Maybe he’s just shy.

god forbid completely different players develop at different rates! :drunk:

Honestly think Ross, RCD and Martyn have no chance. Sonsie looks better than the lot already… Dow probably the only other one close. Just look at the improvement of Ralphsmith and then you can say there is absolutely no excuse for RCD. He doesn’t have what it takes, time to move on. I mean how ******* hard is it to build a tank when it’s your ******* job. Hopeless if you ask me.

… I know a regular Joe with no athletic ability who just ran a 101km marathon and can’t walk today. Seriously these AFL players that can’t work hard don’t deserve a second look.
And what makes you think he hasn't built that tank, or gone a good way towards it, because on the Richmond website it says he has had a really good preseason and came back in Nov. with a lot of work under his belt.

I don't know where you are getting your information that he can't work hard, because it seems he has this preseason. He has missed so much football with little to no VFL. He missed some time with covid protocols and ribs lately so he missed the Hawks game, but he had a good VFL game and is now back in the mix.

Martin, Cotchin, Edwards, Lambert are all between 30 and 33 and won't be around much longer. RCD will play games in place of 3 of those 4 this season due to injuries and management, and will come in with a solid run of VFL matches under his belt, for the first time in 2 years. I suggest we will have a better idea about his conditioning when that happens, bit harsh preseason to be dismissing him as not deserving a go.

He and Ross might be the senior midfielders in a year or two, who knows how long Prestia will last with his injury history. Sonsie and Dow will join them, so that makes 4, that's pretty thin. So I doubt he will be given the flick this season, just when he will most likely be coming good. If he isn't good enough that is another thing, but he has shown a bit at AFL level so in theory will get better.

Excuses for this bloke, the season hasn't even started and you are paying out on him. Give it a break, nobody is making excuses because the season has not even begun. He missed with ribs and a couple of weeks off the track with covid protocols, possibly why he wasn't selected this week. That is not an excuse but a fact.

You are saying the things that you said last season, which hold some weight because he weakness is his fitness. He came back in great shape in Nov, which means he was away from the club running. He like Ross according to McWalter has had a great preseason. He may well have the tank now but how the hell would any of us know because the season is a practice game old.

His one spot is inside mid. With a full contingent of inside mids fit and needing match practice, Prestia, Martin, Cotchin, Ross, there is not a lot of space in there for someone who has missed the last two weeks training.

Ralphsmith came to Richmond as an elite runner, that is just the way things are with some kids. He is also an outside player so a few more positions open up, to his credit has taken his chance. Good for him, there will always be one or two who do. But RCD with Stack, Mansell and Dow have all shown enough to suggest they can be players. But they have to break into a triple premiership side to do it, not easy.

Fair enough we all see it differently and I think there’s probably a fair percentage of supporters that would agree with you.

I really liked how RCD impacted clearances in a couple of games last year at the top level. Yep it’s been a slow burn and I get why that’s frustrated some supporters, but those that count ( coaches) haven’t lost the faith .

I’m backing him all the way reckon he’ll be a permanent fixture in our midfield by seasons end

Agreed re Sonsie looks the good’s

I love how RCD has composure with the ball, and goes super hard. Good skills and great speed and power.

Issues that I saw last year were timing not so good (maybe not the best footy smarts - but can be trained. Or just needs to pick up the pace of AFL). And running was pathetic - burst then blow up.

If he really has improved his tank, and he gets some games and training to improve his AFL level timing, then he could easily become a good to very good player. He won't be pushed around and has the skills to be dangerous. Getting COVID and an injury sucks. But he should be right for round 1, and hopefully can get a game and do well.

I'm hoping for a B grade mid, and have a sneaky thought that he could emerge as an A grader over time - but I don't expect it.

Excuses for this bloke, the season hasn't even started and you are paying out on him. Give it a break, nobody is making excuses because the season has not even begun. He missed with ribs and a couple of weeks off the track with covid protocols, possibly why he wasn't selected this week. That is not an excuse but a fact.

You are saying the things that you said last season, which hold some weight because he weakness is his fitness. He came back in great shape in Nov, which means he was away from the club running. He like Ross according to McWalter has had a great preseason. He may well have the tank now but how the hell would any of us know because the season is a practice game old.

His one spot is inside mid. With a full contingent of inside mids fit and needing match practice, Prestia, Martin, Cotchin, Ross, there is not a lot of space in there for someone who has missed the last two weeks training.

Ralphsmith came to Richmond as an elite runner, that is just the way things are with some kids. He is also an outside player so a few more positions open up, to his credit has taken his chance. Good for him, there will always be one or two who do. But RCD with Stack, Mansell and Dow have all shown enough to suggest they can be players. But they have to break into a triple premiership side to do it, not easy.
Richmond were not a good side last year and he could not hold his position once given the chance

Richmond with injuries last year were ordinary and RCD was given opportunity to establish himself but could not. I was not trying to compare him and Ralphsmith directly (bad example) but show that other kids appear to be passing him in the pecking order. I won't bother responding to comments for obviously posters think he has what it takes and I, as I've stated before, think he's a sub standard plodder that will never be more than a fringe player. Good luck to him, he'll need it if he's to establish himself as a quality footballer. Come back and hammer me when and if he makes it. In the meantime except we have differing opinions about RCD and that as posters can also express opinions you don't like.

Last edited:
My expectation is that RCD will play a Shane Tuck / Daniel Jackson role in our midfield. He will vary between good and very good. He will play 100-200 games. I hope he wins a couple of flags along the way and is credited with winning contested footy and tough tackling.

The simple fact is that we haven't drafted many big-bodied midfielders. He will play. I'm expecting 10 solid games this year. As Grrr says, he will slot in whenever one of our established inside midfielders misses a game through injury or management.

Richmond were not a good side last year and he could not hold his position once given the chance

Richmond with injuries last year were ordinary and RCD was given opportunity to establish himself but could not. I was not trying to compare him and Ralphsmith directly (bad example) but show that other kids appear to be passing him in the pecking order. I won't bother responding to comments for obviously posters think he has what it takes and I, as I've stated before, think he's a sub standard plodder that will never be more than a fringe player. Good luck to him, he'll need it if he's to establish himself as a quality footballer. Come back and hammer me when and if he makes it. In the meantime except we have differing opinions about RCD and that as posters can also express opinions you don't like.
As I said in my post, your criticisms held some validity... last year. He was dropped for not being fit enough. You cannot pot him for the same thing this year because you have no idea about his fitness level right now.

It is not the fact that you have an opinion I don't like, it is that you opinion is unfair at this time of the year, although plodder is an unusual description for a mid that is actually quick. You may well be proven right, but you are pretty stridently writing off a player that deserves at least a balanced view this season as opposed to last.

For what it is worth, I don't think he will be a gut busting mid in a season, might take another season or two yet. But he might take other levels of his game to a high enough level to see him become a good player, because his inside work is pretty good and will only get better as he gets bigger, stronger and fitter.

Career is sadly tracking at the rate of Corey 'Could've, Should've, Would've' Ellis.
I'm just waiting for old matey on here to tell me he had five contested possessions and one hardball get in the Twos match last week and that being evidence of him being close to a breakout.
The same 'Silky Butterfly' worshippers bolt a hundred miles nowadays at the sheer mention of his name and try to deny they thought he'd a gun.
Still has some time on his side RCD, but he's not exactly demanding a spot and it's true many around the same age and younger have overtaken him in the pecking order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Career is sadly tracking at the rate of Corey 'Could've, Should've, Would've' Ellis.
I'm just waiting for old matey on here to tell me he had five contested possessions and one hardball get in the Twos match last week and that being evidence of him being close to a breakout.
The same 'Silky Butterfly' worshippers bolt a hundred miles nowadays at the sheer mention of his name and try to deny they thought he'd a gun.
Still has some time on his side RCD, but he's not exactly demanding a spot and it's true many around the same age and younger have overtaken him in the pecking order.
Name one young inside mid other than Ross who might have gone above him on the pecking order. Gibcus, Hugo are the only younger players than him in the side, and they aren't mids. Who are these above him in the pecking order, given he missed last week injured and covid put him out for two weeks.
Sonsie's looking like a mid in waiting, Dow looked good the other week, but I doubt they have gone past him.

5 touches you say in the VFL, these were his games last season in the VFL
R1 - 31 disposals. R2 - 17 and was tagged. R10 - 24 disposals R11 - 27 disposals, R16 - 27 disposals.
So fair to say he is going okay.

Never a fan of Ellis, as slow as a wet week with the turning circle of the queen mary.

As I said in my post, your criticisms held some validity... last year. He was dropped for not being fit enough. You cannot pot him for the same thing this year because you have no idea about his fitness level right now.

It is not the fact that you have an opinion I don't like, it is that you opinion is unfair at this time of the year, although plodder is an unusual description for a mid that is actually quick. You may well be proven right, but you are pretty stridently writing off a player that deserves at least a balanced view this season as opposed to last.

For what it is worth, I don't think he will be a gut busting mid in a season, might take another season or two yet. But he might take other levels of his game to a high enough level to see him become a good player, because his inside work is pretty good and will only get better as he gets bigger, stronger and fitter.
I said I'd comment no further so this will be it. It's not just his fitness level. I personally don't rate him. I think he's an overrated spud. As I stated in the last post I think many of our other youngsters will prove to be better. Hang it on me if I'm proven wrong but let's just leave it there.

I think and hope this kid will suprise a few. The club rate him and have invested in him. He's a lot bigger that I thought at over 190cm and is clearly a late developer. These kids have had very little football and what I've seen of RCD in patches is enough to think that when it all clicks, he might just be a very good player. The type that can change a game with an outstanding quarter of footy. He's also a goal kicker which ads to his value imo. Definitely worth persevering with and needs a solid run at it to string games together.

Sometimes we forget what it must be like for a few of these kids to break into our triple premiership midfield. Even when they got the chance last year they were coming of virtually no football which meant they struggled for consistency. This year Riley has had Covid and a cracked rib or two (courtesy of Shai) after having a very solid pre season. Even now he's a kid in a man's body. He has all the tools. I'd like to see him develop a bit more hardness around the contest and start throwing his weight around. Build some form in the twos and be ready to go if/when injury strikes.

The rule of thumb is that if they are in our system for say, four or five years, and are not a regular senior player, then it sends a signal that they are not needed.
If we manage Martin adroitly, say he plays until 34-35, one of the greatest players of all time, then it's difficult for Riley as a central focus mid.
But you make a good point, Hugo fills the particular slot immediately, given the departures of Bach and Astbury.

I said I'd comment no further so this will be it. It's not just his fitness level. I personally don't rate him. I think he's an overrated spud. As I stated in the last post I think many of our other youngsters will prove to be better. Hang it on me if I'm proven wrong but let's just leave it there.
Spud, oh well one last dig, agreed no point banging on about it now.

I think and hope this kid will suprise a few. The club rate him and have invested in him. He's a lot bigger that I thought at over 190cm and is clearly a late developer. These kids have had very little football and what I've seen of RCD in patches is enough to think that when it all clicks, he might just be a very good player. The type that can change a game with an outstanding quarter of footy. He's also a goal kicker which ads to his value imo. Definitely worth persevering with and needs a solid run at it to string games together.

Sometimes we forget what it must be like for a few of these kids to break into our triple premiership midfield. Even when they got the chance last year they were coming of virtually no football which meant they struggled for consistency. This year Riley has had Covid and a cracked rib or two (courtesy of Shai) after having a very solid pre season. Even now he's a kid in a man's body. He has all the tools. I'd like to see him develop a bit more hardness around the contest and start throwing his weight around. Build some form in the twos and be ready to go if/when injury strikes.
He was 193cm on draft night, so maybe 194cm. Big lad. Agree on the need to go in harder, did it in his first year and not so much lately.

So what you are really saying by posting
"I said I'd comment no further so this will be it" "I personally don't rate him. I think he's an overrated spud"

I'll just take a drive by pot shot without anything to back it up when i get questioned as to my reasons
weak as piss mate !!

You made a stupid comparison with Hugo which come from a very different fitness base and play different positions
then revert to the most stupid reasons on why you made the comment.

It may be your opinion but you know what they say about opinions dont you

Last edited:

Last chance saloon

Name one young inside mid other than Ross who might have gone above him on the pecking order. Gibcus, Hugo are the only younger players than him in the side, and they aren't mids. Who are these above him in the pecking order, given he missed last week injured and covid put him out for two weeks.
Sonsie's looking like a mid in waiting, Dow looked good the other week, but I doubt they have gone past him.

5 touches you say in the VFL, these were his games last season in the VFL
R1 - 31 disposals. R2 - 17 and was tagged. R10 - 24 disposals R11 - 27 disposals, R16 - 27 disposals.
So fair to say he is going okay.

Never a fan of Ellis, as slow as a wet week with the turning circle of the queen mary.

Speaking generally ... all of Ross, Ralphsmith, Gibcus and Sonsie are ahead of him.
Midfielders are a dime a dozen and any number of options can and will slot in there, so he's further back than you think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back