Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not convinced he's going to make it the longer time goes on. Think he's being overlooked and surpassed by too many other talented midfielders who have his attributes and the determination to fight for their spot. Unless he builds up his endurance to the point where he can get to more contents, his contented ball winning won't be enough to push his way into the team when we have players such as Bolton, Ross, Graham and even young Dow ahead of him.

I was really hoping his Grand Final performance would become more the standard rather than the exception but he doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire in the practice games atm. I think they'll give him a couple of games this season but he might be struggling to keep his place in the squad soon particularly if lists are cut next year.

I hope he can grow into his body and find the confidence and assets he needs to succeed but breaking into a midfield with Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Martin, Bolton and Lambert is a tough ask especially when Ross, Graham and even Rioli are all competing with you for the center square. I feel for the kid but we don't keep players in our side anymore unless they truly earn it.

I think we all have to acknowledge that RCD was recruited as a project player. At the time of the draft there was still several question marks over his ability but it was his size and raw potential that had him rated as top youngster.

I think we must remain patient with him!

It doesn't surprise me to see RCD struggle a little this year , The kid is in his infancy of development and not played any real games die to covid , There would not be any pressure on him to keep his place on the list when we have players like Markov,English,Miller etc on the list who would all be gone before RCD

Ralph Smith is a kid im really keen on and liked him as a junior and was extremely happy we drafted him as this kid has massive upside and is physically gifted athlete. We have alot of really exciting kids on the list i cant wait to see develop Turner , Ralph Smith , RCD , Dow , CCJ , Stack , Bolton , Balta and some lesser names.

These scratch matches are just that, not close in encounters, more group training sessions. You reckon other sides want to see RCD crash and bash. Little wonder outside runners like Ralph Smith feature, who looks a player anyway. AFL is tight, in close and tough, much more RCD's style rather than glorified circle work.

These scratch matches are just that, not close in encounters, more group training sessions. You reckon other sides want to see RCD crash and bash. Little wonder outside runners like Ralph Smith feature, who looks a player anyway. AFL is tight, in close and tough, much more RCD's style rather than glorified circle work.
Agreed
But as well as bash and crash you’ve got to have the tank to get from one contest to the next.
I’m a big RCD fan and hope he gets his opportunity but no doubt that’s holding him back.

Doubt we’ll see Ralphsmith this year unless we are hit by injuries but already can see he ticks 2 box’s- speed and endurance. Let’s see how his contested game goes when you have 36 players out there but Clarke has said he wins his own ball (albeit in a scratch match with small numbers)

Agreed
But as well as bash and crash you’ve got to have the tank to get from one contest to the next.
I’m a big RCD fan and hope he gets his opportunity but no doubt that’s holding him back.

Doubt we’ll see Ralphsmith this year unless we are hit by injuries but already can see he ticks 2 box’s- speed and endurance. Let’s see how his contested game goes when you have 36 players out there but Clarke has said he wins his own ball (albeit in a scratch match with small numbers)
It's a hard year to be on the periphery with no VFL.

Last edited:
I think we all have to acknowledge that RCD was recruited as a project player. At the time of the draft there was still several question marks over his ability but it was his size and raw potential that had him rated as top youngster.

I think we must remain patient with him!
Yep. Has huge potential and our development is up there with the best in the league. No need to rush him. In previous years he'd have been rushed in, under performed and be on the scrap heap by now.

Looking foward to 2021 when our team has another year into the kids who we really have not seen much as previous years watching them in the VFL

We will have RCD -Turner - Dow - Ralph-Smith - CCJ - Naish - -Biggie - Martyn -Cumberland - English all beefed up and development another year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lose to Port and there is know mention of a 4 day break, playing at Ports home ground or the quality of guys missing. It was just about how Port have arrived.

Port get murdered and Bruce says the Richmond game must have taken it out of them. Shut up Bruce.
port worked up to our game cuz they needed to make a statement to themselves and the comp.
They're (*NOT* edit... how did I miss that.) going to play like that every week.

Last edited:
I'd be stunned, unless we get more injuries I reckon he's not going to get near it this year. The closer we get to the end of the season the less likely we are to trial someone with no experience.

Of course I could look like a complete idiot tomorrow when teams come out lol
I sense another herald sun sooking coming up...
Poor old 2 mums

Last edited:
I sense another hearald sun sooking coming up...
Poor old 2 mums
When you look at the road that lambo and aarts took to get to the big league I certainly don't have a lot of time for high end draftees complaining! Having said that if the sun approaches a young player and asks him his thoughts on the season where he didn't get a game it'd be easy for him to be misrepresented, or at least not come across well given his lack of experience in the media space

Surely gets a run this week.
Why would he get a run? By all reports our first year players have performed better than RCD. His number of possessions indicate he's not AFL standard. The guys performances do not warrant a game.

too much pressure to be the next Cripps or Bont I reckon. Will be the next tambling but at least tambling played 100 games. The kid is lucky no one else picked after him has lit the game on fire ALA Fyfe over Griffo.

This year won't work for RCD. His style isn't going to work in 16 a side mix and match teams. They said he was going to stay in Melb and accelerate his development (along with others there). Now he's in Qld I'd reckon it's much the same. Bulk him up and increase his fitness base. His style to work in the AFL requires immense repeat efforts. I'm hoping for 2021 for RCD. He should come out faster stronger and fitter. Hit the season hard and hopefully show us what he has.

This year won't work for RCD. His style isn't going to work in 16 a side mix and match teams. They said he was going to stay in Melb and accelerate his development (along with others there). Now he's in Qld I'd reckon it's much the same. Bulk him up and increase his fitness base. His style to work in the AFL requires immense repeat efforts. I'm hoping for 2021 for RCD. He should come out faster stronger and fitter. Hit the season hard and hopefully show us what he has.

Hopefully they are not stuffing him up ala Ross

Pretty sure he has been with the main group all along as he was an emergency for a game a month or so ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back