#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Remove this Banner Ad

Shots at goal were a bit iffy, but otherwise excellent game. Crashes packs really well and doesn't let the opposition take intercept marks which is great. Pickett, Bennell etc. Can feed off him well.
Loved him giving Jackson the goal too. Seems like a good team player. Wholesome.

I dont even care about the missed shots at goal. I can't speak highly enough of what Ive seen today.

So happy to see him play like that, probably coz I didn't know he had it in him. Selfless hard team football, you can't beat it.

I've been hard on him.... but I don't think anyone has put a smile on my face like he has today since Nev and Vanders in the 2018 finals series.

The handball to Jackson and sharing the joy of his first goal with a shinner on his face reminded me of old school football. Really was wholesome as you say.

As good as Gawn, Truck and co. were today, Weid was best on for me.
he was launching and halving every high ball that came into our forward line. Jackson has some way to go, but to today in tandem they were bloody good.

Played tough. Every time he went for the ball he took a body or got taken. Loved it.
Key forward work was perfect.
Amazing what happens when you play natural forwards like Weideman, Fritsch and Pickett together. Not that there isn't a role for guys like Jackson/TMac or even Petty when he's fit, but you make the natural leading forwards the focal point.

Amazing what happens when you play natural forwards like Weideman, Fritsch and Pickett together. Not that there isn't a role for guys like Jackson/TMac or even Petty when he's fit, but you make the natural leading forwards the focal point.
Chuck Hannan and Bennell in there aswell

Chuck Hannan and Bennell in there aswell
Yeah they're good but I didn't include them bc I don't think it's their most natural position. Again they need those other guys there to provide the structure and then they thrive up forward. Although Harley could probably play fullback so it doesn't really matter.

Yeah they're good but I didn't include them bc I don't think it's their most natural position. Again they need those other guys there to provide the structure and then they thrive up forward. Although Harley could probably play fullback so it doesn't really matter.

Where would you have Hannan?

Where would you have Hannan?
Just posted this somewhere else but I think he plays his best footy as a running utility - high half forward really. That manic pressure is good anywhere but he's better hitting targets ahead of the ball than he is crumbing or playing as a marking target which we tried last year. It's that Richmond hybrid player - doesn't really fit into a conventionally defined position, and it's what AVB, Spargo and ANB are made to do too so they look at their best when the rest of the side is up and about because they just fit. Someone like Melksham is similar but he's so strong 1v1 that you can play him one out as a forward, or he's such a long and accurate kick that he can impact out of the midfield.

Another 3 goals for Weid.

This isn't a year for key forwards league wide, barely any are consistently impacting games. But since he's come in this year, he's been fantastic.

When he's given the responsibility as the no.1 forward he seems to consistently split packs. He has a good leap and reads the ball really well in flight. Just turned 23. Kicks long and straight and his physicality has come along way. I feel like when Tmac is playing he starts to doubt himself/his role and they end up in each other's way or Weid loses that tenacity in the air as he's worried about getting in the senior player's way.

Loving his chemistry with Jackson, they seem to be working together really well and understand each other's leading patterns.

Another 3 goals for Weid.

This isn't a year for key forwards league wide, barely any are consistently impacting games. But since he's come in this year, he's been fantastic.

When he's given the responsibility as the no.1 forward he seems to consistently split packs. He has a good leap and reads the ball really well in flight. Just turned 23. Kicks long and straight and his physicality has come along way. I feel like when Tmac is playing he starts to doubt himself/his role and they end up in each other's way or Weid loses that tenacity in the air as he's worried about getting in the senior player's way.

Loving his chemistry with Jackson, they seem to be working together really well and understand each other's leading patterns.
Yah Weids been brilliant when Tmacs been out. Feels like he's just around the corner from tearing a game apart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weid and Petty are going to be the next Lloyd and Lucas
Imagine when in five years Weid and Petty have just kicked 5 goals between them in the first half and one goes down injured and you’re an opposition defender and you breathe a sigh of relief but then Jackson swings forward and kicks another 5 goals off his own boot

He just knows how to be a forward even if he isn't always clunking the marks or slotting the goals. Something we have missed for ages, T-Mac has no idea when or how to lead and when your number one target up forward doesn't offer a lead the rest of the forward line usually ends up being static and the mids have no option other than bomb it long.

A notable difference for Weideman this year is he isn't spending a minute in the ruck. Jackson is now playing that role and is far better suited to it.
Yep. Really thriving as the number 1 banana down forward. "Don't worry about rucking, don't worry about getting in anyones way, you tell the mids where you want it and go and take the mark"

I feel like we could never commit to Weid in this position because it was assumed that this was Tmac's role (thus Weid rucking in pre season games etc). Unfortunately it's looking like late 2017 and 2018 was the aberration for Tmac. Happy to be proved wrong though, as there's room for both Tmac and Weid but at this stage I'd rather Tmac did some rucking if need be.

Just love the way he just crashes packs and gets the ball to ground giving our forwards a better chance at winning it at ground level. Something that's been a big problem recently. The other thing is his presence is enough to draw opposition players to him (Jackson as well). That contest on the goal line in the last caused two Adelaide players to go to him leaving Melksham by himself for an easy goal. Love the way he is working with Jackson, I loved that passage where weid crashed the pack went back and Jackson put the block on for him. He doesn't have to be kicking big bags (would be handy) you just have to be threatening. Reminds me of back in the day it didn't matter how bad neitz was out of form someone had to take him.

Get him locked in to MFC. The romantics at Collingwood would love to get their hands on him.

So happy he is doing well and been given a good run. He is our future, not TMac.

Agree, Tommy had a really good year in 2018 - but hasn't looked the same since.

I think they could both play in the same team moving forward, but not until they have chemistry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back