Senior 28. David Cuningham

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to sh*t on David after his best game in Navy, but there is something that stuck out like dogs balls to me that might have been missed by some, that I would hope the coaching staff look to address with him.

With approx. 3:15 to go in the first, a decision went against Cunners on the half back flank. He totally dropped his head and went down on his haunches when manning the mark. He was more interested in arguing with the ump then sticking his hands up. He was basically a witches hat; didn't cover the corridor side and the ball was duly driven over his head short to an Essendon player. If he mans that mark as he should, that is a far harder kick and probably doesn't happen.

Now don't get me wrong, I know DC is more an offensive weapon than anything, but every player needs to do the stone cold basics right and help out team-mates down the field. Ross Lyon spoke to it on FC recently about the importance of these small, 1%ers and I have to agree. It's well and good to be fancy, cool and skillful but if you can't man the mark properly (takes zero talent) then you are letting everyone else down.

A small thing, but something I wouldn't want to see again. Top game from DC, onwards and upwards for him from here.

I just had a look at that - That was nothing Cripps hasn't done. :)
In fact I think players do that all the time. There was little lost in that exchange.
Also, the decision didn't go against Cuningham. Francis marked the ball and then kicked it from some way behind the mark.

When tis time starts rolling, players like Cuningham will be very exciting to watch.

Let’s get in here and crap on a break out game.

I’m not gonna indulge it. I’ve thought for a long time that DC could be our Dusty Martin. That’s why watching his sporadic efforts have been both exciting and extremely frustrating.

Belief. The sense of belonging. They are the thoughts that cloud the emerging footballer’s mind. If Davy can take last night and turn it into a 200 plus game for Carlton then I think we should be ******* excited.

In fact I think players do that all the time. There was little lost in that exchange.
Also, the decision didn't go against Cuningham. Francis marked the ball and then kicked it from some way behind the mark.

When tis time starts rolling, players like Cuningham will be very exciting to watch.

So he should be let off because Cripps does it too? I'm calling for everyone to do the 1%ers as we won't be a good side without our players doing them. If I'd seen Cripps do it, the same post would have been made about him and it's far more important for the captain to do it.

There was plenty lost in the exchange. He should have defended the mark properly and not given Francis the luxary of whichever option was best for him. It's the small things.

Let’s get in here and crap on a break out game.

I’m not gonna indulge it. I’ve thought for a long time that DC could be our Dusty Martin. That’s why watching his sporadic efforts have been both exciting and extremely frustrating.

I'm not crapping on him and actually acknowledged it was his best game for us. But if we cannot critique obvious and basic things in players games, what are we doing here? Not everything is pats on the back and happy times and if we can arrest small things like this, I think we are on our way to being a very good and dangerous side, but we will not get there unless we do the basics to the best of our ability...

Yep. Cripps imo is the no.1 player in the league.

But I think he couldve stopped Townsend from having that mark with 30sec left to go in the game.

So he should be let off because Cripps does it too? I'm calling for everyone to do the 1%ers as we won't be a good side without our players doing them. If I'd seen Cripps do it, the same post would have been made about him and it's far more important for the captain to do it.

There was plenty lost in the exchange. He should have defended the mark properly and not given Francis the luxary of whichever option was best for him. It's the small things.

I feel you may be overestimating things a touch.
First of all, there was no free kick as you suggested.

Yes, he argued with the umpire whilst Francis was moving back to take his kick.
Francis didn't get close to Cuningham and there was almost no need for him to even put his arms up....to which he did anyway.

Sure we looking at the same vision? :)

Yep. Cripps imo is the no.1 player in the league.

But I think he couldve stopped Townsend from having that mark with 30sec left to go in the game.

Setterfield was in a better position to impact.
I feel that the ball just dropped a little short and it threw off all but Twonsend.

He's got traits similar to that of Josh Kelly. Speedy clean midfielder. Well done to him. Need to see it a few more times this year.

Andrew Russell highly rates DC for his athletic traits & explosiveness. Was listed in the top bracket when on Fox Footy recently.
Confidence & continuity and we’ll have a very handy player breaking games open (hopefully consistently throughout quarters/games with impact and also scoring).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was outstanding last night, easily his best game for the club.

Didn't have his usual cool head in front of goal, but the impact around the contest was significant, far more so than in any other game to date.

Very clean footballer in open play, some of his efforts to gather the ball at pace are seriously impressive. Has a terrific burst too - the ease with which he burnt off Saad was excellent.

Has always had the talent, but has lacked continuity and perhaps more importantly belief that he belonged at the highest level. Hopefully last night went some way to dispelling any doubt he has as to whether he's a senior footballer.

Yep also love his ability when streaming past a player to receive the footy with one hand at pace, no fumbles.

He’s hands running at full speed are awesome, I know he missed the shots on goal last night, but he could be that explosive 20-25 touch 1-2 goal a week midfielder we’ve been looking for.

Continuity will be the thing, either in terms of injuries or just his mental game.

But geebus, doesn't he have the tools. He probably is the mid most likely to be genuinely Judd-like on his day. We know (last night aside) that he can hit the scoreboard too, so if he starts getting more regular ball in the middle... Look out.

Was actually surprised that he missed his 2 shots as he is generally a great shot for goal. From memory this year is the first time that he has played more than 3 consecutive senior games without getting injured. The upside is massive.
Off track but I don't think he silvagni Mackay curnow weitering have ever played together -- I could be wrong..

Was outstanding last night, easily his best game for the club.

Didn't have his usual cool head in front of goal, but the impact around the contest was significant, far more so than in any other game to date.

Very clean footballer in open play, some of his efforts to gather the ball at pace are seriously impressive. Has a terrific burst too - the ease with which he burnt off Saad was excellent.

Has always had the talent, but has lacked continuity and perhaps more importantly belief that he belonged at the highest level. Hopefully last night went some way to dispelling any doubt he has as to whether he's a senior footballer.

The game day continuity and confidence go hand-in-hand (he's a quiet bloke); he reminds me of a cross between Murph and Juddy - just sayin'! This looks like a genuine breakout and hopefully he can now string a substantial number of games together with little or no disruption!

This is the sort of player development I have been waiting for. Dare I say it but to see a player like DC "pop up" when cripps had a down day, shows that we are slowly getting breadth through our midfield. Good teams always seem to have someone that has a great game when one of the more lauded players is tagged or down a bit. If we can get Setterfield to have similar numbers and a few other younger players- Dow, Fisher , Kemp then we suddenly have a top 8 midfield

Not just assisting him on the day, but DC showing his stuff like he did will help Crippa out too when the opposition will have to take players like Davey more seriously, knowing the damage he is capable of. Rather than just "stop Cripps, Carlton lose".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back