Player Watch #3: Brett Deledio is an obscenely good footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

- Still training fairly hard right now so he can stay in good nick.

- Reckons he'd be a chance to play against Sydney and is dying to play again but says it's not worth the risk

- Reckons the Aus cricket team are flat track bullies who can't handle any sort of deviation.

- Say he can't switch off in the off-season like Rance does, lives and breathes footy.

- Used to be uncomfortably nervous before games until Kane Johnson got him into doing meditation

- Reckons Rance will win the JD

- Wouldn't be against a late return to pre-season training but says the teams performance this season doesn't warrant one.

- Him and Katie want to have another kid and don't want to move interstate.

- Rubbished the North Melbourne rumours and told his manager that he hadn't met anyone without his manager knowing.

- Seems fully convinced that Dimma wants to keep him in the side.

Last edited:

- Still training fairly hard right now so he can stay in good nick.

- Reckons he'd be a chance to play against Sydney and is dying to play again but says it's not worth the risk

- Reckons the Aus cricket team are flat track bullies who can't handle any sort of deviation.

- Say he can't switch off in the off-season like Rance does, lives and breathes footy.

- Used to be uncomfortably nervous before games until Kane Johnson got him into doing meditation

- Reckons Rance will win the JD

- Wouldn't be against a late return to pre-season training but says the teams performance this season doesn't warrant one.

- Him and Katie want to have another kid and don't want to move interstate.

- Rubbished the North Melbourne rumours and told his manager that he hadn't met anyone without his manager knowing.

- Seems fully convinced that Dimma wants to keep him in the side.

Anything about his choice of beanie, cap, or likely off season hairdo changes?

It would be some incredibly dumb sh1t to offload Lids unless it facilitated bringing a young superstar to the club.. and we know that ain't gonna happen...

If lids was moved on for a late first rounder I would still purchase my membership but would be forever ECO

What a man . Underatted still . Hope one day he gets the regonition he deserves .

Lots of good reasons why we should move im on and some good ones why we should not.

In pure footy terms and where i think the list is at it will be three or four seasons before we can become a genuine contender. Deledio will be thirty next year and if and only if he agrees i would be trading him.
At thirty he will want success IF HE GOES. to get something good for him and us the best bet would be GWS.

When possible and only when possible trade em out sentiment has nothing to do with it.
Thing is you are not going to force a loyal servant like Deledio out, you take it to the player and see if he is open to going somewhere where he can maybe get a premiership.
Sometimes players earn the right to make their own minds up i think Deledio has earnt that right.In saying that i am hoping he goes if he has a mind to.He would give us an opportunity to quickly bring in some quality juniors and speed up the rebuild that is needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would give us an opportunity to quickly bring in some quality juniors

Assuming he agrees to a trade, what do you think we would get for him?
I'm thinking late first round at very best. Age, injury...
So I wonder how he gives us such an opportunity to do much at all. "Some quality juniors"? I reckon one potentially reasonable junior, and damage the fabric of the playing group in the process.

If lids was moved on for a late first rounder I would still purchase my membership but would be forever ECO

What a man . Underatted still . Hope one day he gets the regonition he deserves .

I'm sure based on that the club will be devastated and change their ways because your Eco but they have your membership money.

Assuming he agrees to a trade, what do you think we would get for him?
I'm thinking late first round at very best. Age, injury...
So I wonder how he gives us such an opportunity to do much at all. "Some quality juniors"? I reckon one potentially reasonable junior, and damage the fabric of the playing group in the process.
Yeah fabric and loyalty in return are just two reasons why you would never force the issue.I agree also that clubs wont give up top end picks for 30 yr olds.
But GWS imo are a different deal to most clubs.
As for what we could get for him. Thats why i suggested Gws not their picks but their players. Or even deledio and a swap of picks .Lets say they make a prelim this year then a player like deledio would suit them to the ground. They have an excess of highly rated junior and development players that they will have to at some stage move out.

In three or four years the peak of our best players career will be over , Jack Rance dusty and cotch don't turn up on your door step ea year. The time is nigh to get all the chips we got and pile it on this draft and trade period

In 3-4 years Lids will be 32-33. I'd bank on Lids producing more as a 30yo, 31yo, 32yo and 33yo than I would on an 18yo, 19yo, 20yo and 21yo kid taken late in the first round.

Lots of good reasons why we should move im on and some good ones why we should not.

In pure footy terms and where i think the list is at it will be three or four seasons before we can become a genuine contender. Deledio will be thirty next year and if and only if he agrees i would be trading him.
At thirty he will want success IF HE GOES. to get something good for him and us the best bet would be GWS.

When possible and only when possible trade em out sentiment has nothing to do with it.
Thing is you are not going to force a loyal servant like Deledio out, you take it to the player and see if he is open to going somewhere where he can maybe get a premiership.
Sometimes players earn the right to make their own minds up i think Deledio has earnt that right.In saying that i am hoping he goes if he has a mind to.He would give us an opportunity to quickly bring in some quality juniors and speed up the rebuild that is needed.

lots to like, when ther was conjuncture early on in his career he stuck by us, ply him in the forward line next to jack assuming jack stays let him play till he is 35

In three or four years the peak of our best players career will be over , Jack Rance dusty and cotch don't turn up on your door step ea year. The time is nigh to get all the chips we got and pile it on this draft and trade period

we have wasted a golden generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back