Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

Meanwhile in the Big Bash last night, who should come on air for an interview ? None other than the swans supporting, overlooked at pick 5, going great guns vice captain of Freo - Caleb Serong.

He should be being interviewed at the Big Bash grand final at the SCG instead.

Alas, much like Dyl, it truly is time to move on.

Meanwhile in the Big Bash last night, who should come on air for an interview ? None other than the swans supporting, overlooked at pick 5, going great guns vice captain of Freo - Caleb Serong.

He should be being interviewed at the Big Bash grand final at the SCG instead.

Alas, much like Dyl, it truly is time to move on.
Good , thread should be closed or put on past players because that's what he is

I have been watching a few games from last season. In most games there was a definite lack of intensity. He'd make an effort & then slack off. Instead of approaching the ball he often times waited for the ball to come. That is a huge mistake as Moore proved to him against Hawks in the second match of the season. Stephens just waited for the mark instead of contesting for it. He had another poor effort in that game that was incredibly obvious. He made a tackle, the ball gets out a couple of metres from him and he stops. Two of our players come in and lay tackles on two other players. Stephens meanwhile is standing still. Nothing. Not helping get the ball off then out. These were stand outs but there were many more over the season. He seems to think 2nd efforts are not his bag.

I was at the Demo'ns game early in the year when we ended up losing by a fair bit but it was a lot closer than the score.
I was so frustrated at Stephens that game. It seemed most plays he was in, he either directly stuffed up and turned it over...or was indecisive and lacked effort. I always try to be positive about our players but after that game I thought he wasn't going to be a good player for us

Anyone watched how Dyl has been playing thus far for North ?
I read on Insta him copping a whack in some article about not bringing the Swans' hallmarks of pressure and tackling with him over to North.

Wasn't exactly his strong suit with us anyway so it seemed a strange drive-by, but it would suggest North fans are experiencing the same frustrations we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve tried to watch for Stephens this yr but he’s shaved his head and I just cannot spot him easily. From what I’ve seen he’s having a similar impact to his time at the Swans.
1 touch to quarter time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back