AFLW Player #32: Paige “Bulldozer” Scott - EFC Rising Star 2023 - 7/12

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So she went top 10 and didn’t even get an invite to the draft. I wondered why she wasn’t there!

Good bit of intel about some of the other players too and how they get on with each other and whether they’re welcoming of draftees or a bit hostile.

It really does seem like the culture of the group is really strong, maybe some credit to the VFLW team but also the women we’ve brought in from outside as well.

Quotey bits:
"I haven't stopped smiling," Scott told womens.afl.

"The team that I debuted with, I can't speak highly enough of them. They made the moment so special, and the crowd and the fans were unreal."

"I had highs and I had lows the whole day," Scott said of draft day.

"I was so confident, like 'You're going to get drafted' and then I'd be spewing, 'No, I'm not, I'm not even invited down there'. I won't lie, I was a little bit hurt by not getting invited down there.

"Like I always say, I couldn't care less what pick I went as long as I was picked up. But you know, to be a top 10 and not be invited down there, it stung for a little bit, but it's so much better now that I think about it because I was with my family and you know, I came out as a bit of an underdog."

"I've worked so hard on my running, I got some criticism about how my running needs to improve a hell of a lot … the coaches have worked really hard with me on my running and they're trying to make it easy for me now, with transition running instead of just running everywhere," Scott said.

She started Saturday night with an impressive goal and spent the rest of the game through the middle of the ground setting up teammates with her elite skills. It was a performance that resembled the capabilities of Geelong star Chloe Scheer, next to whom Scott made her VFLW debut earlier in the year. And it wasn't by accident, Scheer is one of the key players Scott models her game on.

"(Scheer) was warming up kicking 50-metre set shots and I was like, 'Yeah, no wonder she's got the name she has now', and just the way she made the VFL side so electric and exciting, it was really good… I love her attack on the ball," Scott said.

"I can't speak highly enough of Chloe Scheer. She was such an amazing person on and off the ground, she was always up for a chat, I loved playing with her."

"I remember being in year eight saying, 'Oh, gee, I'd love to be like Maddy Prespakis one day' and to now be her teammate, as well as one of the close friends is unreal," she said.

"Jacqui Vogt as well has been another big one for me. From the get-go I thought she was such a lovely, lovely person. She made me feel so welcome at the club. I was pretty nervous after I got drafted. I went down to the club, and she gave me the biggest, warmest hug back and I just felt at home straight away."

We constantly get fed the same useless background information about players in the Mens game. Did anyone else know Pendlebury played Basketball?

So, going forward, I would love to hear this little tidbit mentioned at least once during a Bombers game about Paige. "She spent her time before becoming a professional footballer, crutching sheep up in Northern Victoria".

No wonder she has a strong build at such a young age.

First ever guest on the new podcast with Maddy Prespakis and Bonnie Toogood

She reminds me of Parish a bit in terms of background in the sheep farms and country accent, like when he was first drafted was so similar

Apparently she was originally a forward because she ran over a kangaroo with her motorbike (?!) and was covered in scabs and bandages and stuff so the coach at the time put her full forward, she kicked 2-3 goals a week and ended up staying there. When she spoke to Essendon before she was drafted they kept talking about midfield, but when she turned up first day of training at Essendon and Woody split them into line groups, she went to go with the forwards and Woody grabbed her was like "where do you think you're going? You're in the midfield" :D

Toogood started in defence as well, went forward with injuries and flourished.

Talking about the sheep farm she worked at, $12 normally for a fleece, they were producing one that was $200 each 😱 Telling all about the properties of the wool that made it good, which is all wayyyyy over my head haha.

Goes on a bit, someone stole her shopping trolley (apparently this is a weird city thing... 🤔)

Seasoning a steak with spiced rum – Maddy and Paige need a steak cook off apparently. Medium-rare but not rare hahaha. Both of them not fans of going to a pub, ordering medium rare and it's cold in the middle and "still mooin". Their steak game is already beating Heppell and his microwave defrost-and-cut-your-hand-bad-enough-for-stitches approach 🤣

Getting into footy, getting told to play netball and being like "no, I am never ever gonna wear a dress in my life". But she did it for a year – played centre. Was a football-netball league/club (as is really common anyway), boys play footy, girls play netball, and that's just how it was, so she had to play netball.

She had a German exchange student and the exchange student played a bit of soccer, so they taught each other their sports. So she went and played soccer until Year 6. Then her mate was getting into her coz "stuff soccer, come play a real sport" and then got brought into footy from there, her Dad dragged her down to play footy so she was like 11 or so. (Funny coz Toogood was a netballer who converted to footy, though that hasn't come up yet). Then talking about her junior footy career, working her way up from local leagues to inter-league games and getting BOG, then GWV Rebels and so forth.

She's talking a bit about local towns and stuff all around Avoca and Bonnie and Maddy are both totally bewildered hahaha. This place that's near that place "where's that place" oh it's near Horsham "oh right yeah, sounds ages away" 🤣🤣🤣

She's actually really good value hahahah

Favourite footy memory: AFLW debut

Favourite country she's travelled to: Doesn't have a passport, hasn't really left the state... other than Adelaide and Tasmania for footy and school camps. Also Moama which is technically in NSW lol.

Three famous people you'd invite to dinner: Scott Pendlebury ("was any of your GOATs on the farm named Pendles?" "Didn't have any goats, next door neighbour had a goat, used to milk it for cheese and stuff"), Steve Irwin (bond over sheep and animals in general), Ryan Reynolds (good value, funny – Prespakis doesn't know who he is :drunk:). Toogood and Prespakis picked 3 each as well, they also didn't know who Freddy Mercury was either 🤣

Most annoying teammate: Probably herself

Funniest teammate: Bonnie Toogood or Gee, quiet assassin. Mia Van Dyke. Also Sarge (Caitlin Sargent) and Daz (maybe Daria Bannister?) also Joey with her accent (Jo Doonan) and Bella Ayre

Messiest teammate: Magic (who is that?), apparently stuff falls out of her locker so she opens and shuts it really fast. Dani (Marshall), who apparently packs her duffel bag enough clothes for a holiday, wears like four layers of clothes 🤣 Prespakis has a lot of boots that make it look untidy apparently haha even though she stacks them. There's someone who apparently has a lot of food but can't get the name. Also Scotty haha muddy work boots coming into training after work, and there's a trail of mud through the locker room and up the stairs... been in the trenches that day apparently, was covered in mud head to toe 🤣

Best piece of advice you've been given: Lots from Bonnie and Maddy. Primary school principal told her "when the going gets tough, the tough get going" and at GW Rebels "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". Also "respect beats popularity"

"Respect beats popularity" - I think I like this kid.

She had 1 bit of play yesterday, to the right of screen, where a ball was dribbling towards the boundary near our attacking 50. She gathered it, ran around her opponent, then cut inside another opponent and was then at full tilt off seemingly a step. The movement was class and wouldn't have been out of place on any footy field in the country.

"Respect beats popularity" - I think I like this kid.

She had 1 bit of play yesterday, to the right of screen, where a ball was dribbling towards the boundary near our attacking 50. She gathered it, ran around her opponent, then cut inside another opponent and was then at full tilt off seemingly a step. The movement was class and wouldn't have been out of place on any footy field in the country.
The no 32 guernsey seems quite appropriate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back