Review 33 - Mathew Walker (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker is not a poppy or cyril like i said tops. He is more a tony hall gunston type. He has a burst of speed that he can use to get out in space or take a big grab he has real xfactor but he isnt a rioli or poppy

I hear you mate. He is a potential very sound player for us, but not the necessary ingredient we are desperate for.

Despite his having the pace to lay 4-5 tackles a game, do you reckon his lack of fitness/tank made it difficult for him to stay involved & apply defensive pressure, as soon as the initial contest was over?

Last year was his first year in the AFL system, the Hawks are a team that asks a lot of defensive work out of their players. And at the highest level, you need a mind set to average over 4 tackles a game; positioning yourself on the ground to fill space while being close enough to opposition players to be able to chase them down before they dispose, knowing who to chase, having the instincts to sheppard or go for the tackle.

Mumford, Boak averaged over 4 tackles in 2019 and I don't think anyone would say they have closing speed. Ebert has a tank but isn't athletically gifted, but almost averaged 2 tackles inside forward 50 a game.

Walker has been a forward his whole (very young) life, regardless of his fitness his defense work needs to be taught. The hawks under Clarko have a long history of not playing anyone who can't play full team defense. Ross is a goal kicking whiz but his lack of defensive work kept him off the team last year when we needed goals. Walker the exact same I reckon.

Last year was his first year in the AFL system, the Hawks are a team that asks a lot of defensive work out of their players. And at the highest level, you need a mind set to average over 4 tackles a game; positioning yourself on the ground to fill space while being close enough to opposition players to be able to chase them down before they dispose, knowing who to chase, having the instincts to sheppard or go for the tackle.

Mumford, Boak averaged over 4 tackles in 2019 and I don't think anyone would say they have closing speed. Ebert has a tank but isn't athletically gifted, but almost averaged 2 tackles inside forward 50 a game.

Walker has been a forward his whole (very young) life, regardless of his fitness his defense work needs to be taught. The hawks under Clarko have a long history of not playing anyone who can't play full team defense. Ross is a goal kicking whiz but his lack of defensive work kept him off the team last year when we needed goals. Walker the exact same I reckon.
Tackles is a function of how many contests you are in. But tackles as a small forward is how fast you are and how willing you are to chase. Just quoting tackle stats gets us no where. 👍

hey all,
Where is Matthew Walker at? I notice he is not on the injury list anymore. Is he any close to getting a game soon?

Put of contract at the end of the year? Does he survive?

Cheers

hey all,
Where is Matthew Walker at? I notice he is not on the injury list anymore. Is he any close to getting a game soon?

Put of contract at the end of the year? Does he survive?

Cheers
Has struggled to stay on the park to date. Has ability undoubtedly. I am not convinced he quite has the tenacity to play at the top level but this may be due to not ever being match hardened fitness-wise. Has kicked bags at VFL level which underlines his class but being a leading fwd at Hawthorn is one of the toughest gigs going around. I hope they are training him to fight against 2 opponents under a high ball as that is what he will find himself doing if he does get a call up.

I can't see them getting rid of him, unless list sizes are slashed by about 12....there would be 8 players who would go before him.

Only his second year, and injuries have held him back.

I hear you mate. He is a potential very sound player for us, but not the necessary ingredient we are desperate for.
I'm not sure I agree with this, only in that any player up forward who can take a contested pack mark and convert is absolutely a desperate need, even if they are undersized for the roll.

We don't have Brad Hill feathering the ball in front of our forwards anymore - our most pressing need, in my opinion, if we can't get Lewis or Patton to start taking contested grabs, which would make Walker the 3rd tall anyway - the question is will he stick around to wait his turn? Esp if Jeka starts to grab everything in sight.

The Hall comparisons are reasonable enough. The main difference is Walker's hands are more clean than strong. Hally's were vice like. Can see him playing the third or fourth forward role. Needs to get a lot more physical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back