Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Roberts put a lot of extra effort in during the last off season to improve his pace and general running ability.

Given how rubbish our midfield was last season, he should be in contention for a spot.

Thanks caesar88 - always enjoy these posts.

I agree with your analysis - especially the forgotten man bit.

Except …. I’m intrigued by your statement “… win a spot back over Sheldrick / Cleary / Jordon”.

Specifically, I don’t believe for a moment that Roberts has fallen behind Cleary in the pecking order (if that is indeed what you’re intimating).

Roberts was (in the DQ view) the far superior performer out of the two in the VFL last year, and has a couple of years head start.

I reckon Cleary has quite some way to go before he’s in the frame with Matthew Roberts.
IMO the batting order may well be Jordon, Sheldrick, Roberts, Cleary depending on position.
65 games and a grand final should be a fair head start, though maybe not for an inside role.

Because I am senile I can't help but think that there was a game early last season where Roberts had a stand-out last quarter and proved that he belongs. Each week he was getting better and better before he went and got himself injured so I think he is high in the pecking order for a reason, because he has talent AND works hard.

Compare him with Stephens and they were chalk and cheese - Stephens had enough ability to be an early draft pick but just seemed to lack that bit of something that would make him stand out - but Roberts does have something (besides the hair) and I think he will be very useful for us. The only issue is that if he is too far down the pecking order and can't establish himself then watch the other clubs come looking for him as a player with talent and potential who isn't getting a go. This kid may not be a star, but he could be one of the first picked in the mids if he continues his trajectory.

Because I am senile I can't help but think that there was a game early last season where Roberts had a stand-out last quarter and proved that he belongs. Each week he was getting better and better before he went and got himself injured so I think he is high in the pecking order for a reason, because he has talent AND works hard.

Compare him with Stephens and they were chalk and cheese - Stephens had enough ability to be an early draft pick but just seemed to lack that bit of something that would make him stand out - but Roberts does have something (besides the hair) and I think he will be very useful for us. The only issue is that if he is too far down the pecking order and can't establish himself then watch the other clubs come looking for him as a player with talent and potential who isn't getting a go. This kid may not be a star, but he could be one of the first picked in the mids if he continues his trajectory.
You're not delusional. It was round 1 he had a handy showing as sub, getting a few nice touches and clearances in very limited game time in the 4th. Was a bit quieter the few weeks after that but the one full game he played - Gather Round vs Richmond - he was very handy again off the wing. The week after that he did his knee. So we'll never know what he could've made of this season, but he has another chance to do it better next year.

You're not delusional. It was round 1 he had a handy showing as sub, getting a few nice touches and clearances in very limited game time in the 4th. Was a bit quieter the few weeks after that but the one full game he played - Gather Round vs Richmond - he was very handy again off the wing. The week after that he did his knee. So we'll never know what he could've made of this season, but he has another chance to do it better next year.
You didn't say I wasn't senile :(

As a strong club with depth we can expect other clubs to come knocking at the end of the year, as they did with McLean and will for McDonald if we don't have him locked away (during the year too!). However Roberts and Sheldrick are signed until 2025. I think Florent, Rowbottom, Hayward and maybe Konstanty (OOC) are the likelier targets this year. We might lose one too.
If Roberts or Sheldrick expressed a desire to leave it could get interesting.

Not sure about Matty. Hope he has a great pre season but looked a bit off the pace when in the firsts.
Small sample. Need to give them a chance. An 8 gamer. We need injection of youth in the side. It is our one weakness as a list.
Most players over 50 games and more over 100 and 200. Sydney does not do rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember there were articles about how he was training harder in the preseason and doing more work to get stronger probably trying to get midfield minutes. Then has to put in the effort to become a half back and squeeze out Lloyd who is a coach favourite. He looked comfortable in the position too. Our depth is coming through

Love this attitude from him

“I’d love to work my way back into the midfield eventually. But for now it’s important just about locking in my role in the team.

“Millsy, when he started, he played the first four or five years off the halfback, and he’s now the captain of the footy club and playing a crucial role in our midfield. So yeah, I think along the way, I’ll be able to push back up the ground when needed.

“To know (Gulden and Warner) are only a couple of years older than me, that’s something I definitely look at and see I can make an impact even though I’ve only played a handful of games. If I can bring what I have at all levels that I’ve played at, I can make an impact.

“Last year, I started the year in the team and then had a knee injury and missed a 12-week period. So, I know that when you do get your opportunity, make sure you’re ready to go and you can take it and then don’t look back.”

(from his interview with L McKirdy)

Small sample. Need to give them a chance. An 8 gamer. We need injection of youth in the side. It is our one weakness as a list.
Most players over 50 games and more over 100 and 200. Sydney does not do rebuild.
Um, we just spent 2 years in pain. We have a very young list still. We just got games into them young.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember there were articles about how he was training harder in the preseason and doing more work to get stronger probably trying to get midfield minutes. Then has to put in the effort to become a half back and squeeze out Lloyd who is a coach favourite. He looked comfortable in the position too. Our depth is coming through
Lloyd is doing quite nicely on the wing & alternatively HB. It is working

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Called that he was a damn good chance of playing senior footy ahead of the more-hyped Sheldrick & Warner Jr., based on his reputation for big pre-seasons and impressing the coaches.

Did NOT call that he would be able to crack it as a half back/small defender type. In fact I remember ardently debating Kiama Chris on the merits of it. KC nailed it.

Was a very promising start for Roberts. I remember that first play when he had to stand under a long high ball. I hoped for his sake he took the mark, just to settle his nerves and skill level for the game. Not only did he take it, he didn't even flinch!

Called that he was a damn good chance of playing senior footy ahead of the more-hyped Sheldrick & Warner Jr., based on his reputation for big pre-seasons and impressing the coaches.

Did NOT call that he would be able to crack it as a half back/small defender type. In fact I remember ardently debating Kiama Chris on the merits of it. KC nailed it.

Was a very promising start for Roberts. I remember that first play when he had to stand under a long high ball. I hoped for his sake he took the mark, just to settle his nerves and skill level for the game. Not only did he take it, he didn't even flinch!
Nice to be remembered. The surprise is that Roberts has effectively pushed Lloyd up the ground which I doubt anyone would have foreseen. Great to see his development and that Horse continues to take a chance when young guys kick the door down.
Let's hope we see more of that from others.

A fantastic achievement.

However, I will stick my neck out here and say that once Mills, Adams and Parker are fit and ready he will lose his spot in the 23. I just don't think he does any one thing exceptionally well - which is what it would take to bump out one of the mids or HB's.

Either way, he is going to be a very interesting watch moving forward. And good quality depth is ALWAYS a good thing.

Nice to be remembered. The surprise is that Roberts has effectively pushed Lloyd up the ground which I doubt anyone would have foreseen. Great to see his development and that Horse continues to take a chance when young guys kick the door down.
Let's hope we see more of that from others.
I still don't know if Lloyd on the wing will continue and that it's not just the result of easing Lloyd into the season, but I hope it does. I love Lloyd delivering inside 50 and getting to put his run to use.

I still don't know if Lloyd on the wing will continue and that it's not just the result of easing Lloyd into the season, but I hope it does. I love Lloyd delivering inside 50 and getting to put his run to use.

I think it's a genuine chance to keep going because of what it allows other players to do. Roberts stepping up to be defender/rebounder who the coaches clearly rate highly alongside Blakey and Florent. It also might allow Campbell and McInerney to push forward a little more (as well as continue playing wing or at centre clearances even with McInerney) to use their skills and athleticism to damage forward of the ball.

I have full faith that Lloyd will make it work too if he's left there. He's been across HB for so long now it might take him a few weeks to settle in but he's a smart and hard-working footballer. He'll get there if left there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back