Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

1454318147691_03080803_MPX_5064851_hd720.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Was good to see him working hard through the 4th quarter but for me he is a bit of a problem in a 3 talls set up as he provides so little when he doesn't take the mark. If we are playing well and hitting targets going forward it will look good but if it is scrappy we are going to struggle to keep the ball in the forward 50.

Like any forward if he can get a clean run at it looks good. Him and McLean have both got to the ball over the last two games and dropped a few between them. Probably the most annoying thing about him and his fitness levels.. His goal kicking has let him down as well he could averaging a couple a game which would be a good return.
Not sure what the solution is , Horse obviously sees him as an impact player and keeps his tog low. Reid has barely played this year and I am not sure going shorter in the forwards is going to work.
Tbh I think the forward set up is more impacted by the lack of Wicks or a small pressure forward to keep the ball in the 50.
Bit of a dilemma but at 4-1 Amartey probably stays in until someone forces him out.

Yesterday made me ready to drop Amartey but we currently don't have any obvious replacement for his role - Reid is currently dealing with his soft tissue and * knows what's going on with Buller. Anyway Buller is not yet at even Amartey's level.

Other options:

* Ladhams - I don't feel we are desperate enough to bring Ladhams in if we don't need him for his rucking. Ladhams is not such a good forward.

* I would be quite comfortable to play one fewer tall. The problem there is that we don't have any extra medium forwards waiting in the wings since we gave HHK the flick. Could we bring Wicks back at Amartey's expense? Wicks isn't capable of kicking the same bags of goals but offers a lot of other stuff, and he can crumb multiple goals on a good day. There's also Konstanty but presumably you would take Wicks ahead of Konstanty at this point in time.

* We could bring in another mid like Parker for Amartey and roll a few different players through that forward role. Parker should be able to apply as much defensive pressure as Amartey and Parker plays above his height and knows how to find a goal. Has that same creative goal kicking flair that Amartey has too - just not the same height and weight to throw around.

* Finally, we could trial Francis in Amartey's role but I think Francis best role is as an intercepting defender (he really does read the ball through the air exceptionally well) and he's more of a break glass in case of emergency option as a forward (like last year).

In conclusion, if Reid were fit and ready I would bring him in for Amartey. As it stands, I'd personally be happy to see us play shorter and bring in Parker or Wicks at Amartey's expense.

Last edited:
Yesterday made me ready to drop Amartey but we currently don't have any obvious replacement for his role - Reid is currently dealing with his soft tissue and * knows what's going on with Buller. Anyway Buller is not yet at even Amartey's level.

Other options:

* Ladhams - I don't feel we are desperate enough to bring Ladhams in if we don't need him for his rucking. Ladhams is not such a good forward.

* I would be quite comfortable with, is to play one fewer tall. The problem there is that we don't have any extra medium forwards waiting in the wings since we gave HHK the flick. Could we bring Wicks back at Amartey's expense? Wicks isn't capable of kicking the same bags of goals but offers a lot of other stuff, and he can crumb multiple goals on a good day. There's also Konstanty but presumably you would take Wicks ahead of Konstanty at this point in time.

* We could bring in another mid like Parker for Amartey and roll a few different players through that forward role. Parker should be able to apply as much defensive pressure as Amartey and Parker plays above his height and knows how to find a goal. Has that same creative goal kicking flair that Amartey has too - just not the same height and weight to throw around.

* Finally, we could trial Francis in Amartey's role but I think Francis best role is as an intercepting defender (he really does read the ball through the air exceptionally well) and he's more of a break glass in case of emergency option as a forward (like last year).

In conclusion, if Reid were fit and ready I would bring him in for Amartey. As it stands, I'd personally be happy to see us play shorter and bring in Parker or Wicks at Amartey's expense.
Buller hasn't had a chance , but at least when he does , he'll have a crack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel as though we have an early frontrunner for 2024 whipping boy.

And in the view of this humble correspondent, it’s well earned.
I just don’t understand that if he is injury free, how come he’s always supposedly unfit ? I’d have him run a 3km time trial every night.

I kind of feel like he is lazy, expects the ball to come to him and seems like he either drops a seemingly simple mark or displays a lack of effort to hit the contest. He's a softie in a big frame.

I kind of feel like he is lazy, expects the ball to come to him and seems like he either drops a seemingly simple mark or displays a lack of effort to hit the contest. He's a softie in a big frame.
Maybe he needs an Adelaide style preseason. He definitely seems like he is not urgent or hungry enough. Is it between the ears and can be fixed by some psychologist. Or is he just the Mark Waugh of the forward line.
His best is sensational. His usual is I just missed. His worst is I have gone missing.

Maybe he needs an Adelaide style preseason. He definitely seems like he is not urgent or hungry enough. Is it between the ears and can be fixed by some psychologist. Or is he just the Mark Waugh of the forward line.
His best is sensational. His usual is I just missed. His worst is I have gone missing.
Even his best is only for a half .
I loved Mark Waugh , please don't compare , at least he had a sensational career

I just want to see him take some contested marks. I know he can do it because it is what he does when he has his big games quarters.
This. If he sticks more of his dropped marks then the rest can be overlooked to a large extent.

He gets enough opportunities as is where he always seems to drop a few sodas. He's a s**t kick but a few more shots resulting in an extra goal or two can be the difference.

This. If he sticks more of his dropped marks then the rest can be overlooked to a large extent.

He gets enough opportunities as is where he always seems to drop a few sodas. He's a s**t kick but a few more shots resulting in an extra goal or two can be the difference.
He's a **** kick from 30m directly in front, but when he's on a 45 degree angle, 45m out, he's perfect

Funny, I thought Amartey was OK on the weekend. He's not a star and I'd love to have an upgrade over him on the list (I do think if Buller was fully fit he'd be breathing down his neck), but I actually thought he got to quite a few contests and was OK in terms of competing in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back