Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not like Hooker has pace to lose. People talk like Cale Hooker is 35 and is about to drop off. He turns 30 next month, and probably has at the very least 3 years of decent football ahead of him. Hartley would be insane to be happy to be a depth/VFL player for us when there is jobs out there for him that's going to get him paid, and have security.

Even slow players lose pace in their 30s. Jobe was never quick but he was as slow as any footballer I've seen when he came back from suspension.

It is quite conceivable that Hooker could become too slow to hold down a key defensive post as soon as next season. Deep forward may become the only real position he can have.

We should do what we can to keep Hartley, who I believe is more effective than many realise, although obviously it would be understandable if he decided to go elsewhere. He'd be starting 22 for most AFL teams.

It's not like Hooker has pace to lose. People talk like Cale Hooker is 35 and is about to drop off. He turns 30 next month, and probably has at the very least 3 years of decent football ahead of him. Hartley would be insane to be happy to be a depth/VFL player for us when there is jobs out there for him that's going to get him paid, and have security.
I agree with that, re Hartley. If something comes his way, like Gold Coast offering him a role down back if May leaves, then hed be an idiot to not take it. There is a chance that Hooker has close to no injuries over next 3 seasons, is never needed up forward, and in that time Zerk-Thatcher bulks up nicely and slots into his role. Hartley is then left with next to no AFL games. If Bruno is correct about his development in the VFL then he needs to implement it at AFL level to continue his development.

I was writing from the point of view of an Essendon list management. If Daniher is fit next year we could easily see three of McKernan, Brown, Stewart and Hartley not having a regular gig in the firsts. Add Zerk and our 20 year old inside miss to that we could have an amazing VFL side next year and depth for seniors.

Was referring to the role.

Didn't we move away from playing Daniher in the ruck this year?
First 3 games yes, the others it seemed as though he as the secondary ruck. Still, personally feel Hooker's the better tap ruck anyway

Gonna assume all other AFL scouts are drunk if there isn’t a single club out there that wouldn’t offer him a 2 year with playing time. Just signed a one year deal with us.

Gonna assume all other AFL scouts are drunk if there isn’t a single club out there that wouldn’t offer him a 2 year with playing time. Just signed a one year deal with us.
I thought GC would have been all over him, maybe the May deal taking so long put a stop to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kakkle hit the nail on the head - Though Hartley was a certainty to be picked up by another club - Anyway Hartley has to hope the 'stars align', so he gets regular senior footy in 2019.

I trust this guy. Never worry when he is in the team. I believe he still has upside if he could just gain a bit of size and back his kicking in a touch more.. it's a weapon.

Good news. Not sure how he gets a game with Hooker and Hurley fit but feel he's important for our list balance. If he can somehow get some continuity in the seniors he'll at the least show enough to get another contract (but probably elsewhere given the other two have another three years).

Only reason you wouldn't sign him up again would be if he wanted to goto another club.

Happy to give him another year.

I thought GC would have been all over him, maybe the May deal taking so long put a stop to it.
The picked up Sam Collins as one of their State league priority players.

Bias aside, Collins was the premier peformed KPD in the VFL (arguably the best KPD at state level, country wide) this year and they got him for nothing as opposed to having to give something up for Harts via trade.

The Pies are the ones i am surprised at. Would suit their needs perfectly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back