Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how he'll respond to what the Hawthorn coaches want him to do. He doesn't have a good track history of following orders (he was very poor with following any sort of rehab instructions while at Collingwood, and completely cracked the shits when they identified Ambrose as the one they wanted to play as a pure defender, while he was asked to work on his offensive and intercept game). There's a reason(s) while the interest in him has been so limited.

"I'm getting pretty old now and I'm not sure how long I'll be in the system," Hartley told AFL.com.au.

"But I have a young daughter (19-month-old Adeline) and I'm getting married (to partner Tegan) in January.

"So I just thought about my family and, in all honesty, sticking in the AFL as long as possible, and – it sounds horrible – but to try and get as much money as I can for my daughter as she grows up.

"That's where we're at, unfortunately. I loved my time at Essendon and I love the club, but the Hawks came along and gave me a little bit longer."

Gotta respect his honesty but i wonder how much the hawks woulds love that? just using you lot for the $$$ ;)

i guess they cant all be millionaires, for every star there is a plodder just trying to make their way in life

"I'm getting pretty old now and I'm not sure how long I'll be in the system," Hartley told AFL.com.au.

"But I have a young daughter (19-month-old Adeline) and I'm getting married (to partner Tegan) in January.

"So I just thought about my family and, in all honesty, sticking in the AFL as long as possible, and – it sounds horrible – but to try and get as much money as I can for my daughter as she grows up.

"That's where we're at, unfortunately. I loved my time at Essendon and I love the club, but the Hawks came along and gave me a little bit longer."

Gotta respect his honesty but i wonder how much the hawks woulds love that? just using you lot for the $$$ ;)

i guess they cant all be millionaires, for every star there is a plodder just trying to make their way in life

Hawks would be far too big, ugly and professional to care.

I'm any event, it's a reality for every one of these situations. The buyer pays more to secure the transfer.

Could've had a decent career if he listened to coaches, and wasn't a bit of a campaigner. Had excellent reach, but never wanted to take a mark, and a beautiful kick but never wanted to use it.

Could've had a decent career if he listened to coaches, and wasn't a bit of a campaigner. Had excellent reach, but never wanted to take a mark, and a beautiful kick but never wanted to use it.

Can't really believe after how well he did during the tsunami of 2016 that he didn't go on and cement himself as a quality key defender.

But he just couldn't adapt to playing proactive defence.

How he wasn't given kick in duties when the rules changed...

They did this year. He had 20 kicks in the game against Fremantle, and was dropped right after due to not being up to standard defensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back