AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - 4 Snags v GWS!

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah still not for me man. Silky as but there's just something. I'll revisit in a few months and I hope I'm eating my words.
Knows how to deliver, not where to be to receive it.
Just something he has to work on.

Posted about 2 weeks ago he wasn't doing enough marking. Thought he was great on Sunday.
I think if he can get his marking to 7 a week and have 3 or 4 ground ball possies he'll be going fine. Doesn't sound to hard, should be the goal for his first month. From this he should get a big boost in confidence.
He looked so at ease taking them floating marks through the middle of the ground he's such a great target coming out of defence and the target before going deep.
The role he played on the weekend is perfect for him and the team. Only negative I've seen over the preseason, doesn't move it quickly from the mark. Really holding up the play, if no one is free a genuine 1 on 1 is better and suited to our exciting crummers than taking 5 seconds off the clock and losing the momentum.
I think for his position this year it should be to take the attacking defender, be able to go both ways, keep his opponent quiet while getting his own ball. Give him ownership of that role and make that his apprenticeship to going into midfield. Make him own it gives him a role, an objective and a goal.

Langford reminds me of a few different players.
  • Physical appearance: Caracella
  • Kicking technique: Ryder
  • Composure: Pendlebury
Agree with some of the comments above, definitely knows how to deliver it and agree is not as good at receiving however when he does receive it, he's highly effective with the ball (particularly when inside 50).

One way or another, I can see why the coaches like him and I'm enjoying watching his game unravel.

Langford reminds me of a few different players.
  • Physical appearance: Caracella
  • Kicking technique: Ryder
  • Composure: Pendlebury
Agree with some of the comments above, definitely knows how to deliver it and agree is not as good at receiving however when he does receive it, he's highly effective with the ball (particularly when inside 50).

One way or another, I can see why the coaches like him and I'm enjoying watching his game unravel.

He moves almost exactly like Ryder in the way he bounds around laconically.

Given that he wears "30" and has quite a dark complexion I still double take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seemed a little underwhelming given the talk about how massive his preseason was.

On the other hand, if he kicks those two (very get-able) goals his stats start to look very acceptable. Plus he's really young and it may take him some time to get used to his new size and shape

I thought he was okay. For each occasion he is a bit slow with the ball, there is a time that holding onto it for the extra second result in him freeing a team mate.

What I didn't like is that, playing as a half forward, he didn't "hit up" at the ball once.

I was really surprised to see Langford only having the 11 touches when I got home because last night he appeared to be everywhere he was needed. I don't think last night's stat sheet truly belies the impact that he had on the game, and it was pretty significant. Made some excellent kicks to open space, spread and linked up very well. Hopefully he'll be able to get more involved next game, although it's going to be tough for him when you have ball magnets Merrett and Parish queuing up.

I was really surprised to see Langford only having the 11 touches when I got home because last night he appeared to be everywhere he was needed. I don't think last night's stat sheet truly belies the impact that he had on the game, and it was pretty significant. Made some excellent kicks to open space, spread and linked up very well. Hopefully he'll be able to get more involved next game, although it's going to be tough for him when you have ball magnets Merrett and Parish queuing up.
I get the feeling his role is more team oriented as you say. His direct involvement might not have been perfect last night but I wouldn't expect him to be dropped on the back of it.

Back