AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - Corked hip - 2/6

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

not doing enough and making silly errors

feel like dropping him will hinder his performance, but also think others will contribute more

he isnt playing bad, just lacking something

He looks like he's playing with no confidence.
Was touted in preseason as somebody that will play more midfield but doesn't look ready yet.
I don't mind him mixing it up with forward and midfield time but can't expect him to dominate when he has no consistency in his game.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him go back and play permanent midfield in VFL for a couple of weeks like last season, and then come back to the seniors and play a lot more on ball.
I'm a fan and think he's going to be a very good player once the apprenticeship is over.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new whipping boy, thought he worked his way into the game and is very dangerous one on one up forward

Don't think so. A couple of mistakes cost us. No harm in having a run in the VFL. He'll bounce back

Don't think so. A couple of mistakes cost us. No harm in having a run in the VFL. He'll bounce back
And a few things he made up for, your proving my point if you want him in the VFL, he is still very young ffs he had a better game than Parish but you won't see anyone calling for him to be dropped either. It's not about no harm in VFL it's more that he will get a lot more out of playing AFL than VFL because we know he can dominate at that level. For me it's absolutely pointless puting him in the VFL unless he has an absolute howler and at the same time someone is banging down the door to take his place and at this stage there isn't.

Last edited:
His lack of tackling intent is infuriating. Yes, he offers plenty more and isn't in the side as a defensive player, but too often he's in a position to grab a guy and instead does a half-hearted single-armed corral, to no effect.
Yes, something I've noticed as well. It's really not hard to fend him off, think it comes from a lack of explosion, doesn't get a ton of momentum up quickly to really get into the ball carrier and ends up being brushed aside.

Yes, something I've noticed as well. It's really not hard to fend him off, think it comes from a lack of explosion, doesn't get a ton of momentum up quickly to really get into the ball carrier and ends up being brushed aside.
Also he has a lot of development left, I'm sure he will stick a lot more tackles when his frame improves, he doesn't turn 21 until December so he is years from being physically developed

And a few things he made up for, your proving my point if you want him in the VFL, he is still very young ffs he had a better game than Parish but you want see anyone calling for him to be dropped either. It's not about nor harm in VFL it's more that he will get a lot more out of playing AFL than VFL because we know he can dominate at that level. For me it's absolutely pointless puting him in the VFL unless he has an absolute howler and at the same time someone is banging down the door to take his place and at this stage there isn't.

Parish was one of our best last week and played better than Langford tonight. I think he's had close to two ....not howlers....but close to. Think Brown could be worth a go. But as we're playing Carlton next week probably best to keep him in another week.

Also he has a lot of development left, I'm sure he will stick a lot more tackles when his frame improves, he doesn't turn 21 until December so he is years from being physically developed
Again I'm fully aware it's an unfair comparison, but we saw guys like Merrett and Parish show the intent from day 1, even before they were physically capable of sticking the tackles. Langford just doesn't seem to have any of that defensive aggression in his game. There's having a bigger, stronger player break way from you, and there's barely managing to get even one arm to connect. He looked like he was playing Gaelic football at times tonight.

Last edited:
Again I'm fully aware it's an unfair comparison, but we saw guys like Merrett and Parish show the intent from day 1, even before they were physically capable of sticking the tackles. Langford just doesn't seem to have any of that defensive aggression in his game. There's having a bigger, stronger player break way from you, and there's barely managing to get even one arm to contact. He looked like he was playing Gaelic football at times tonight.
Very different players though aswell and Parish and Zerrett are 2 of our very best tacklers i wouldn't expect many of our players to tackle the way they do

So unsure about this guy, I don't see any elite traits at all. Yes still developing but doesn't have that killer instinct or natural football smarts. Not sure where he fits in

No point dropping the kid. Is better served doing his time in the AFL team against the best players. One of our better, more reliable set shots for goal too

Dropping him to the VFL will only allow him to go back and dominate as an inside midfielder when in truth he needs to be learning and working on his leading patterns as a forward where he duly plays at AFL level.

One thing that worries me is his lack of work rate, you can get away with being 'soft' or however you want to put it, just need a bigger work rate than your opponent. See Jack Gunston. Needs to consistently take those 7 - 10 marks a game with 5+ I50's to boot. Any goals he kicks is An added bonus and a goal a game is not out of the question for a leading half forward.

Time will come when it all clicks, he has something, everyone can see it each game he shows us something special. Last night? The composure to go back and nail probably the most crucial goal for us last night from 45m.

So unsure about this guy, I don't see any elite traits at all. Yes still developing but doesn't have that killer instinct or natural football smarts. Not sure where he fits in
Could not disagree with you more.
He is a beautiful kick and mark and is a very natural footballer
His problem is his intensity is still developing. Which he will only get playing at afl level

Reminding me a lot of pendlebury at the same age

Has not been great but does dropping him after 2 games really help ?
He is going to be part of the future. I am not sold on him as a midfielder. Maybe he should be playing more as third tall forward as his leading patterns
have always been good. He is a pretty good mark and a solid set shot for goal.

Back