Delisted 41. Jamaine Jones (2017 -2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the look of this kid and personally I'd be giving him a game in our forward 50 before Parfitt. He looks ready to go for mine and we desperately need his type inside our arc.

Love the look of this kid and personally I'd be giving him a game in our forward 50 before Parfitt. He looks ready to go for mine and we desperately need his type inside our arc.

BC , I really think its hard to gauge who goes before who till we see them on the track in a apples V apples situation. Although his goal kicking is appealing (perhaps the most natural left foot goal sneak we have had since Rockin Ronnie) , I have little doubt that no player will be getting games till they meet the statistical running requirements. If he turns up like Menegola and jumps to the front of the group then perhaps he will be in for consideration.

BC , I really think its hard to gauge who goes before who till we see them on the track in a apples V apples situation. Although his goal kicking is appealing (perhaps the most natural left foot goal sneak we have had since Rockin Ronnie) , I have little doubt that no player will be getting games till they meet the statistical running requirements. If he turns up like Menegola and jumps to the front of the group then perhaps he will be in for consideration.
Yeah like Blicavs, he meets the statistical running requirements but none of the other statistical requirements yet gets a game in our midfield every week?!? I'd rather a small forward who maybe didn't quite meet our statistical running requirements but actually created some dynamism, speed, tackled, and harrassed inside our forward 50 and who was also a quality finisher. We'll see what happens...

Yeah like Blicavs, he meets the statistical running requirements but none of the other statistical requirements yet gets a game in our midfield every week?!? I'd rather a small forward who maybe didn't quite meet our statistical running requirements but actually created some dynamism, speed, tackled, and harrassed inside our forward 50 and who was also a quality finisher. We'll see what happens...

I think you have more to offer than a cheap shot at Blitz. Id hope you would agree that all the players have to be able to cope with the running demands of the AFL game. ..and most kids are a fair way off. Menegola came in as a mid aged recruit and someone like Blitz who is gut run talented. I have no idea on what our drafted players were like at the Combine for distance , perhaps you do ? The Irish kid apparently ran well , if he starts getting games maybe I will start to think you are on to something

Article: Jamaine Jones stars

A BOG performance in a game that included Brisbane Lions draftee Cedric Cox (pick 24 in ND).

Almost thought it was Motlop in photo for a second. It seems he has had the talent to kick goals against less talented players , VFL will be a big step id say. Id dont think we should put too much pressure on him , just let him find his feet.

I think you have more to offer than a cheap shot at Blitz. Id hope you would agree that all the players have to be able to cope with the running demands of the AFL game. ..and most kids are a fair way off. Menegola came in as a mid aged recruit and someone like Blitz who is gut run talented. I have no idea on what our drafted players were like at the Combine for distance , perhaps you do ? The Irish kid apparently ran well , if he starts getting games maybe I will start to think you are on to something
You're quite right about kids struggling with the running demands, but I'm saying he should be given an opportunity deep forward at Hawkins feet and we roll the dice a little with getting hurt the other way, I'd rather that with a guy who could genuinely offer some real dynamism to create goals and score them himself than with someone like Gregson who while diligent has zero xfactor.

You're quite right about kids struggling with the running demands, but I'm saying he should be given an opportunity deep forward at Hawkins feet and we roll the dice a little with getting hurt the other way, I'd rather that with a guy who could genuinely offer some real dynamism to create goals and score them himself than with someone like Gregson who while diligent has zero xfactor.

I want goals as much as anyone... but I cant see anyone getting picked unless they meet running expectations. It sounds like he is naturally a tackle/pressure type ... I will concede this , if someone can really exceed the common place and be a high quality goal kicking forward , any mc will be a bit more lenient , but just getting goals will not do it in an era of high press and 2-4 layup goals a week.

but just getting goals will not do it in an era of high press and 2-4 layup goals a week.
Of course it won't, I wasn't saying as much, but getting goals with slightly less than adequate defensive running has to be an option in a forward line that routinely gets incredibly poor goal per inside 50 outcomes. We have a one paced boring forward line devoid of excitement; while Menz has some of the mecurial about him he is one paced as is Linc, Mots seems to have lost a yard, and don't even get me started on Hawkins slow movement, we desperately need speed and X factor in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen plenty of young Jarmaine here at the Rebels, kid can play and is a real hard nut tackling machine with innate goal sense, was really hoping the Crows would grab him. Really nice story in the Hun today showing the persistence and character the kid possesses.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k=3f8c2e77bd522448863ff5064272ddd8-1480735546

I'm really excited about the kid, in fact of all our draftees he's the one I'm looking forward to watching most and the kind of player I feel we need the most.

Cats rookie Jamaine Jones is delighted with the way his form has improved in the VFL in the second half of the season.

By his own admission, Jones had a slow start to the season.

But the 18-year-old has really stepped things up in the past fortnight, kicking five goals against Coburg in round 11 and getting another mention among the best players after Saturday's loss to Collingwood.

"I'm very happy," Jones told Cats Media.

"It's just doing the little things ... and it's turned around.

"Finally starting to learn all the structures and where I'm supposed to be on the ground in my forward role, so it's going really well.

"I guess it's just like going from juniors to seniors. It is very confronting at the start, but once you get used to it you start playing good football."

Has some serious competition now for the Small Forward positions - Fogarty, GAJ, Kelly, Miers, Gregson, McCarthy... Will be interesting to see how he progresses this season.

Jamaine JONES

2018 VFL
Totals

• 6 games
  • 10 goals
  • 5 behinds
  • 2 times in bests players list

Averages
  • 8.7 kicks
  • 5.8 handballs
  • 14.5 disposals
  • 3.5 marks
  • 4.5 tackles
  • 2.2 inside 50s
  • 1.2 rebound 50s
  • 73.50 DT points

You beat me to it by two seconds Kitty!

(I didn't tear up at all, not even a little bit..)

Even writing and publishing the article is an act of courage, and I love how he addresses foster kids at the end.

Thanks JJ for the work.

Sadly got passed by Miers, Atkins, Dahl and Rohan.

Best for the future

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back