Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is Nankervis has been demolished in the ruck tonight. So it is hard to know how you deal with this given Soldo and Coleman-Jones are out of action.

The options are probably:

- Nankervis one out, but if he is getting pushed round with a second ruck in the team, is that going to only be worse with no second ruck?

- Nankervis/Chol. Chol seems to be going ok late in games but seems lost in the first half of the last two matches. Chol with Lynch in the team though is probably a different proposition. He needs favourable matchups to be really useful, and to be kept fresh, he gets that with Lynch in.

- Nankervis/Balta. We could take the punt on reshuffling the backline and try releasing Balta, who is immensely strong and could be dangerous, but this maybe too disruptive for him at this stage.

- Nankervis/Miller. Total wildcard. Probably too much to ask of the kid but it is an option.

- Some other wildcard backup option that effectively concedes the ruck. I don’t fancy this.

It is a massive problem. If we played them again with their two strong rucks I would be really tempted to take the punt on pulling Balta out of the backline and unleashing him. Perhaps teams like Port and Eagles we might need to consider that as well.

Really interested to see how the club deals with this but Chol is clearly struggling in the second tall forward role. Has he blown a chance to be second ruck/third tall forward though?

The problem is Nankervis has been demolished in the ruck tonight. So it is hard to know how you deal with this given Soldo and Coleman-Jones are out of action.

- Nankervis one out, but if he is getting pushed round with a second ruck in the team, is that going to only be worse with no second ruck?

- Nankervis/Chol. Chol seems to be going ok late in games but seems lost in the first half of the last two matches. Chol with Lynch in the team though is probably a different proposition. He needs favourable matchups to be really useful, and to be kept fresh, he gets that with Lynch in.

- Nankervis/Balta. We could take the punt on reshuffling the backline and try releasing Balta, who is immensely strong and could be dangerous, but this maybe too disruptive for him at this stage.

- Nankervis/Miller. Total wildcard. Probably too much to ask of the kid but it is an option.

- Some other wildcard backup option that effectively concedes the ruck. I don’t fancy this.

It is a massive problem. If we played them again with their two strong rucks I would be really tempted to take the punt on pulling Balta out of the backline and unleashing him. Perhaps teams like Port and Eagles we might need to consider that as well.

Really interested to see how the club deals with this but Chol is clearly struggling in the second tall forward role. Has he blown a chance to be second ruck/third tall forward though?
I blame our coaches for our loss tonight. Chol is not up to the standard and should not have been played. Caddy should have played. Chol is soft at the contest and is a pussy. If he's played again we are not serious and will not threaten for the flag.

Brazil (@Elton Johns Wig) get a 1-0 win over Colombia (@Hate) thanks to EJW himself scoring in the 35th minute.

I blame our coaches for our loss tonight. Chol is not up to the standard and should not have been played. Caddy should have played. Chol is soft at the contest and is a pussy. If he's played again we are not serious and will not threaten for the flag.
Maybe Broad?

AFL standard player.
Can chop out in ruck.

Regardless of structure or whatever you can't play Chol again this year and I also have big fears for his career in general now, despite rating him before.

What is most disappointing is that he seems hell bent on playing way behind his man all the time. Surely the coaching staff asked him not to do this.

Was looking dangerous in a few games but when we didn’t persevere with him I had a feeling that getting dropped might knock him around a bit.
It’s a dog eat dog world but I think we should continue with him because he has something different about him.

Chol has reached his ceiling at AFL level. Unfortunately it’s at a level below his body height. Caddy should have played to give us the chop out in the ruck and as well as being in the face of Robinson. Would have been also another forward option.
Chol is at risk of being delisted after that non competitive performance as it’s contradictory to the Richmond of 17-20 where you have to commit 120% to every contest if it’s in your zone. Meh.

Players that are inconsistent are likely to be not good enough for the AFL. Chol has too many flaws in his game which show up with an extended run in the team.

In the last 2 season has had a purple patch for a few matches where he looks he could be a budding star but then over the course the season his flaws are exposed. Has poor footy nous, for a player his size he should be reading the ball better and clunking marks. He is not good enough as a ruck either,

Regardless of structure or whatever you can't play Chol again this year and I also have big fears for his career in general now, despite rating him before.

What is most disappointing is that he seems hell bent on playing way behind his man all the time. Surely the coaching staff asked him not to do this.
The way he plays reminds me of the "marks up" game at school. 1 guy kicks to a pack. Everyone in the pack is going for a screamer so nobody stands in front.
Eventually the pack gets so far away the bloke kicking can't make the distance

Not afl standard.
And not just from his ABYSMAL game last night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way he plays reminds me of the "marks up" game at school. 1 guy kicks to a pack. Everyone in the pack is going for a screamer so nobody stands in front.
Eventually the pack gets so far away the bloke kicking can't make the distance

Not afl standard.
And not just from his ABYSMAL game last night
This bought back memories hahaha

OK I have time to reflect now the the dust has settled after Chols game last night.
I've come to the conclusion he is still a rubbish footballer.

From the 11 games he’s played this year he’s averaging 1.4 marks a game. 0.4 contested.

Seriously, what is the point? I don’t wanna hear about structures etc. When you are a tall kpf/ruck with as low an impact as that, there is just no point playing him. None.

Anybody, under any tweaked game plan, would have been a better option. We failed badly at the selection table this week.

Harris Andrews was able to come into every contest and spoil the ball 20 metres over the boundary, gave our smalls no supply.

Jack was 2v1 all night and scored a respectable 2.2, Andrews was able to get free from Chol and influence the Riewoldt contest.

Andrews was seen alone on the wing, 50 metres of space, able to begin their defensive rebound.

Chol absolutely did nothing last night, like the Adelaide game. He did absolutely nothing.

He needs to disappear.

Also - Let's give credit where its due, Nankveris had an even worse game. He even delivered them a goal on a silver platter. He was absolutely demolished yesterday, 7 clangers and embarrassed. He shluld be ashamed of his performance too.

I knew he was average and developing but time to move on from chol ever playing senior football again. Has become a complete liability. Offering nothing in ruck or up forward. Need to get 2 meter Peter or Gawn or even Kreuzer for 1 year as chol can’t be relied upon at all. If Nank goes down next year we’re screwed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back