Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - has re-signed until the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

The media have called it Northball, unfortunately Cam still thinks it is Zurharball.
the media didn't dub it Northball, we did. Specifically, Wardlaw used that term in the post match presser when we ended Collingwood's season

People in here saying Camz has the blinkers on when inside 50 - think a lot have the same.
I noticed a few times when going inside 50 as he was about to pass it off the forward changes direction or just stops. Our forwards run in straight lines up and down the ground - how many do you see run across the ground.

Cam is the least of our worries - forward gets it 19 times while we’ve got mids who run free getting it less than 15 times.

* me we must have a plethora of stars running around in the vfl.

I wouldn't say he's the "least of our worries"

He's one of the senior leaders on the list, will be 27 next year, a current free agent, that the club has put a 5 year deal in front of, on top dollar.

Rawlings doesn't have a good track record with long contracts.

I feel like we are in a lose lose situation here tbh, he's getting a contract he probably doesn't merit and the compo he would likely draw wouldn't be good enough to let him go.

I wouldn't say he's the "least of our worries"

He's one of the senior leaders on the list, will be 27 next year, a current free agent, that the club has put a 5 year deal in front of, on top dollar.

Rawlings doesn't have a good track record with long contracts.

I feel like we are in a lose lose situation here tbh, he's getting a contract he probably doesn't merit and the compo he would likely draw wouldn't be good enough to let him go.
I think given where our list is at and given how little positive PR we are getting, I think putting a 5 year deal to him was the right thing to do. If he stays, it would be a good thing for us, all things considered. In fact, given how poorly we've started after a pretty positive offseason, it would help us greatly if he signed it quickly, and didn't drag it on

I think given where our list is at and given how little positive PR we are getting, I think putting a 5 year deal to him was the right thing to do. If he stays, it would be a good thing for us, all things considered. In fact, given how poorly we've started after a pretty positive offseason, it would help us greatly if he signed it quickly, and didn't drag it on
front end it while the list is full of greenhorns, then gives us room to top up their contracts as/if they improve and ask for better deals,

You guys are crackers. It's not all coming off for Cam but we know the talent is there.

Keep keep keep.

Go watch the 1993 Fosters Cup or whatever it was vs crows.

Carey getting Bronx cheered and looking like a spud. Lucky we didn't say "well we have Demaniel and Lissenden, let him go".

It's not the right thing to do if 2 years of the 5 at the end are shithouse or he's overpaid significantly over the course of the deal.
Especially not if it's to get a sugar hit for 3 minutes upon the announcement.

If the club decides he can drive culture and performance, then fine. If not....

You guys are crackers. It's not all coming off for Cam but we know the talent is there.

Keep keep keep.

Carey getting Bronx cheered and looking like a spud. Lucky we didn't say "well we have Demaniel and Lissenden, let him go".

And then go watch Carey in 1996.

I.E the current age Zurhaar is at the moment.

Carey was basically in his 4th season in 1993. Zurhaar is in his 8th.

Your comparison is more apt for Curtis, not Zurhaar.

Keep keep keep.

Marstermind what was this game all about?

I remember Robert Tarrant getting Bronx cheered v Dogs. Significant day that one as Mrs Gaso rang me to tell me a pipe burst and our house was flooded.

Rob went on to have a good career anywho

I can see a world where Zurhaar stays and Ford requests a trade.

Simpkin will basically be a permanent forward pinch hitting in the middle to give a rest to LDU/Powell/George/Sheez/Colby from probably next season.

I see the forward line mix as the following:

Larkey (Lock)
Duursma (Lock)
Curtis (Lock)
Simpkin (Lock)

and then a mix of the following:

Zurhaar
Ford
Sellers
CCJ (If still at North)
Harvey

Interesting to see how it will play out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then go watch Carey in 1996.

I.E the current age Zurhaar is at the moment.

Carey was basically in his 4th season in 1993. Zurhaar is in his 8th.

Your comparison is more apt for Curtis, not Zurhaar.
Yep Carey was B&F in 1992 and Runner Up in 1990, missed some games in 1991 Shoulder ?

Have heard from an ex-player that he’s as good as gone to the Swans. Hopefully not correct.
They went after Naughton and failed. Then they went after Larkey and failed. They are said to be after Ugle-Hagen but will most likely fail. I could be wrong, but I don't think Cam Zurhaar is the Plugger/Buddy type box office draw they are desperately seeking.

For a forward in a s**t team, as Cam has been in his entire career, that leap from 13 to 19 is pretty huge.

While I take it he had some selfish moments I do genuinely think we've started to take for granted how good he is at the role he plays.

There's a reason clubs will be lining up to throw long deals at him.
I think he fits nicely into a team that's contending. He's another weapon, a guy that can tear a game apart in five minutes or be The Man on a day when your KPDs are being beaten.

But in a developing team, the difference between his best and his worst is too much, for me. And five years seems unnecessarily long.

They went after Naughton and failed. Then they went after Larkey and failed. They are said to be after Ugle-Hagen but will most likely fail. I could be wrong, but I don't think Cam Zurhaar is the Plugger/Buddy type box office draw they are desperately seeking.
But they have gun generational fwd logan mcdonald

I can see a world where Zurhaar stays and Ford requests a trade.

Simpkin will basically be a permanent forward pinch hitting in the middle to give a rest to LDU/Powell/George/Sheez/Colby from probably next season.

I see the forward line mix as the following:

Larkey (Lock)
Duursma (Lock)
Curtis (Lock)
Simpkin (Lock)

and then a mix of the following:

Zurhaar
Ford
Sellers
CCJ (If still at North)
Harvey

Interesting to see how it will play out
Interesting on Ford and Zurhaar.

Ford is and will be a better footballer than Zurhaar imo.

Ford, a bit like Powell, just needs continuity and serious and settled minutes to flourish.

One of Ford's strengths is he wants to be involved all the time. He's got that pest element to him. Good sides have those players.

He's been pretty solid given his limited pre season.

Stays

On paper

Curtis Larkey Ford
Zuurhar ???? Simpkin

..should be a gun structure

Four question marks is our biggest issue
For mine this needs a genuine, dangerous, fast and agile small - none of those players fit this criteria and a genuine 2nd tall option. Too much mid sized in this.

Interesting on Ford and Zurhaar.

Ford is and will be a better footballer than Zurhaar imo.

Ford, a bit like Powell, just needs continuity and serious and settled minutes to flourish.

One of Ford's strengths is he wants to be involved all the time. He's got that pest element to him. Good sides have those players.

He's been pretty solid given his limited pre season.

I think Ford has the ability to grow into a very good player but hes not a better player than Zurhaar at the moment.

In two of our most recent wins Zurhaar was arguably the best player on the ground for us. Ford doesnt have that in his bag as of yet.

Keep keep keep.

Carey was 5 years younger than Zurhaar is

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - has re-signed until the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Back