Player Watch #45: Hamish Free - re-signed until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Somehow I get this feeling he has a more transferable game (as a ruckman) to AFL than CCJ or Xerri.

Free's game is very pure old school ruck - barrel chested hold your ground, deft tap to a small, go forward occasionally to get a pinch-hitter goal. But not a genuine classy forward option any day of the week.

Xerri at VFL level gets a bit of possession but not sure if he'll ever replicate that at AFL level. His ruckwork is more bash it rather than tap it but he doesn't have the athleticism of Corey McKernan or Nic Natanui to then follow up explosively and rush forward as a mismatch. Don't think he has much forward craft to speak of.

CCJ is more forward than ruck based on form to date based on the club's use of him.

The above is also why I'm a bit down that Edwards isn't in our plans because he does seem to have some agility and skill to work with.

Free has been re-contracted for '24. Todd and Shiels maybe. McKay in the hands of the footy gods.

Bonar, Dawson, Edwards, Howe, Mahoney, Perez, Spicer, Turner and Young as well as Jack, Hall (but 2 less positions after the extended rookie list bonus from the AFL expires). This still means over 1/4 of the list will be turned over at the end of the off season, possibly more to come.

jimmie_walker_featured.jpeg

DYN-O-MITE!!!!

Hamish Free – Shoulder
Expected return: Start of pre-season (non-contact)

"Hamish is tracking well, he is starting to build his strength loads in the gym and has been in running conditioning over the past two weeks.

"He will look to put a big off-season in to build his shoulder strength and look to further enhance his aerobic tank. We envisage that he will be modified from contact on his return.

I have this funny feeling in my bones that Hamish is eventually going to become our number 1 ruckman.

Yes, you heard it here first folks. Either that or you've all just had complete confirmation that I am indeed a lunatic.
Situation present two possibilities...........

I have this funny feeling in my bones that Hamish is eventually going to become our number 1 ruckman.

Yes, you heard it here first folks. Either that or you've all just had complete confirmation that I am indeed a lunatic.
One doesn’t rule out the other.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember watching his " highlights" and thinking

Good grief

But alas I'm a fan and hope he stays on.
hearing the reports about his recovery and seeing this from the North injury list
Hamish Free – Shoulder
Expected return: Start of pre-season (non-contact)

l am of the belief that he will be around for another season..

Free was back-up ruck to a guy who wasn't very tall but was wide. Not great at centre bounces but very good around the ground because no one could get into the correct space. Free kind of copied him.
A good ruck coach, Goldy?, could improve Free

Locked in.

Rawlings said the club looked forward to seeing what Dawson, Drury and Free could achieve next season.

“We are equally excited to have Kallan, Blake and Hamish on board for 2024 to see what they can do with another AFL pre-season under their belt,” he said.

“Blake offers some versatility being used at both ends of the ground this year, and Kallan (defence) and Hamish (ruck) provide more tall options for us.

“All three players have impressed with their willingness to work hard and improve, and we know they will be eager to make the most of their opportunities next season.”

I think he may surprise. Starts training with our starting mids, gets healthy.
Should press for best 22.
Who's the most uncoordinated regular starting ruckman of the last two decades? Cos if Hamish starts, Hamish will give him a run for his money, whoever he is

Think its clear we're going to see what Xerri and CCJ have before potentially going ruck FA shopping next year. Free is back up/ VFL ruck for that year.

I wonder what we see in Hamish Free
From what I saw before he got injured, his tap work was probably only second to Goldy at the club (maybe third behind Greenwood). He occasionally got his hands on the ball if it spilled in the stoppage, didn't see that much from X. Was aggressive and physical, just slow across the ground. He definitely needs to work on mobility around the ground. I still think he is 20 years too late to be a long term AFL ruck, but he would match up ok against some the more physical dinosaur types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back