Player Watch #14: Liam Shiels - re-signed until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So that leaves us 3 rookie picks and turner looks like one so only 2 left

Didn’t see this coming

Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Last edited:

Hopefully as a leader/mentor rather than an onfield player. Is Cunners (pending fitness), Greenwood, Jy and LDU enough of a mature bodied onball brigade? Just wary of unnecessarily taking minutes off the younger blokes

Was always happening.

We've been given additional rookie spots by the AFL. For Clarkson to bring in someone that he trusts to bring off-field culture, standards & knowledge of his system, is an opportunity to good to refuse. Multiple flags to his name & he's also about as good a bloke that you will find in the AFL. Is he past his used by date from a playing perspective? Obviously, but that's not why he's being brought in.

I will be the first to be upset if Phillips/Powell/Wardlaw are slamming the door down & we play Shiels ahead of them. However, I just don't see that happening.

Shiels is a senior mid that the likes of Powell, Phillips, Wardlaw, Thomas, LDU & even Jy can learn an enormous amount from Monday-Friday. Sure we already have Greenwood & Cunnington, but are either of those elite trainers? Nope. It's something that will only help their development & should be seen as such, rather then something that will take away their games.

Great get. Doubt he will feature in the senior squad unless we have a number of injuries, but will be great for our VFL team to help development after losing Hore and Jones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be honest, I haven't been tracking him very closely for the past couple seasons.

Following the speculation of his move to Arden St, I found this write up on his 2021 season performance kind of interesting.

Much of it confirming the analysis here:

From all reports, he is the most respected and liked senior player at Hawthorn.
When his tackle numbers are high and he is hunting the ball, he remains an important contributor for Hawthorn and invariably, the team wins.

That’s not to say that it is all about stats - and no doubt in as season of transition, the leadership and experience that he added cannot be measured externally - certainly not on a stats sheet.

Leadership and training standards aside - and obviously we wouldn't want him taking time from our inside mid brigade - but is there any reason why he wouldn't see him in the mix for players we might see on the wings in 2023, given our outside mid fixtures are still pretty up in the air, and our list has struggled to obtain the prerequisite fitness to clock up the kms the role requires?

Putting Clarko's team meeting vid together with this makes perfect sense.

The dash and "we" - sacrifice. We'll now have a triple premiership player on our list who will be able to speak to first-hand what this means, why it matters - silverware.

And side point.... who was the last triple premiership players we've had on our list? We've had a few doubles... Was it Pike after his wins at the Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back