Player Watch #14: Liam Shiels - re-signed until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Solid player and is reliable when needed. Positioning is great and plays within his capabilities
I think his contribution is being severely underrated in the first two weeks. This guy is Clarko’s eyes, ears and voice on the field.

It would be hard for a bloke that’s been to the pinnacle and at the end of his career to take on a challenge of coming to a two win side and help them climb the ladder.

From all reports this bloke has been sensational for the group and has really brought into the culture and his role of guiding this group to essentially take his job.

Get’s an A+ from me for his time at the club to date, both on and off the field.

It would be hard for a bloke that’s been to the pinnacle and at the end of his career to take on a challenge of coming to a two win side and help them climb the ladder.
I don't think so. He would feel pretty fulfilled based on what he's done in his career, and taking on this challenge is a clear pathway to life after footy. He's doing a wonderful job and I hope he's around the club for years to come.

Structurally, we're as good as we've been in a long time. Particularly behind the ball.
Derm and others stated on multiple occasions that when we turned it over, we held shape, held them up and were hard to play against. Which is such a relief as a supporter - instead of seeing average teams carve through us as we feebly attempt to defend.
Can't underestimate how much he would have an influence on directing that shape behind the ball.
Also, we're getting better at phasing the game. Knowing when to go - but then hold things up near the end of quarters or when the oppo get a run on.
All of these are things we've been bad at for a while and go beyond the individual contribution of one player, and have a huge bearing on how we perform as a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I admit I knew nothing about Liam and wondered what Clarkson thought he could bring that we didnt already have. The answer is abundantly clear now. Love what he is bringing to the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back