West Coast's Second Round Draft pick Gerrick Weedon

newwirra-420x0.jpg

Height:
186cm
Weight:
80kg
DOB: 25/05/91
Recruited from: Clontarf College/Claremont
Bio:Hard-working forward who is extremely strong in the air. Vision and awareness in traffic as well as sound defensive pressure skills are features of his game. WA U18 representative in 2009. Top 20 per cent in running vertical jump.

AFL Draft Info: http://www.afldraftinfo.com/2009/11/gerrick-weedon-claremontwa-draft.html

Strengths

> Excellent ball control and handling at ground level – very clean and deft

> Good versatility – genuine utility that can play on any line – midfield looks his best position, but his running capacity is far too low at present to think about it at higher levels – FP/HFF/HBF are more likely options

> Good leap and lateral movement

> Very good handballer – deft and quick, but also capable of good power

> Strong aerially for his height –has a slight reach advantage

> Good general football smarts on most lines andis a composed, creative and efficient DM with the ball – particularly good awareness and use of vision in traffic

> Strong and effective tackler

WAFL 2009 Season(Colts)

Games: 19
Goals: 26

Averages
Disposals: 18.9
Kicks: 9.8
H/B: 8.6
Marks: 4.5
Goals: 1.4

WAFL 2010 Season (Reserves)

Games: 6
Goals: 7

Average Stats

Kicks: 7.3
H/B: 5.4
Disposals: 12.7
Marks: 3

WAFL 2010 Season (League)

Games: 3
Goals: 3

Average Stats

Kicks: 5
H/B: 4
Disposals: 10
Marks: 3

I was interested to read his nickname is Piston. Not too sure where that came from, but by gee it's a great nickname. Feel free to use it as much as possible.
I'm not sure if your joking. But it comes from the the BF nickname thread, break up the syllables for the answer.

Gerrick Weedon played for the Claremont reserves today and got 15 disposals( 6 kicks and 9hb), 3 marks, 5 tackles and a goal, in a 50 point victory over Peel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got 21 touches on the weekend 9 kicks, 12 handballs and 3 marks.

Gerrick played as a high half-forward and picked up 20 possessions. He had a particularly good first half and impacted the game with his use of the body around contests. He used his quick hands to bring teammates into the game.

Quote from wce.com.au about Gerricks game on the weekend.

Gerrick kicked 4 goals sraight on the week he also got 16 touches and 8 marks to with the goals.

Quote from wce.com.au about his game:

Was under notice throughout, mainly across half-forward, took some strong marks on the lead and kicked four goals. Produced a very encouraging effort, especially with his marking and finish in front of goals.

would be great to see this kid develope asap. Hopefully he is one of those freaks who get better in a better league...

There is most deffinately a spot in the team for him, at HF or FP. We will be screaming out for him when we move Shuey into the middle more and/or if Hams doesnt quite come on.

For those that have seen him play does he have the attributes to be a full time midfielder as well as a forward ..... heard people say he is a good inside player, priddis replacement perhalps ????

I haven't followed him that much through juniors but those that do say he is equally good if not better as a mid than fwd. I'm not too sure but I've heard his endurance is pretty bad, though in saying that he did carry a groin ailment through last year.

Good signs this year considering zero pre-season.

From what I've seen he has a very average kicking style, he is not elite by foot like many of the indigenous players is he?

His kicking reminds me a bit of Clancee Pearce.

We are sceaming out for him already Bod. He knows how to play as a back, forward and through the middle.

haha true

From what I've seen he has a very average kicking style, he is not elite by foot like many of the indigenous players is he?

His kicking reminds me a bit of Clancee Pearce.

Dont care if he can pin point passes really, as long as he can crumb, tackle hard, pressure hard and chip in with 2 goals a game.

For those in the know, what is the absolute earliest you could see him being called up?

Maybe a chance late in the year if where down and out of finals contention and just decide to try the untried, but firstly he has to get him self into the WAFL seniors first which will be hard considering Claremont Seniors are playing great footy.

Gerrick played his first WAFL League game today and was a bit quiet with 6 touches but kicked an important goal late in the third to stop East Perth's flurry of goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back