Player Watch #44: Tyson Stengle [TIGER NO MORE!]

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyson Stengle is from the Portland Thunder in the heart of Port Adelaide territory, where he started playing our national football code at Under 10s level.

The exceptionally skilled footballer proceeded through the Port Magpies development squad, but decided to move to Woodville West Torrens when the SANFL disbanded this clubs junior programs.

From the 2015 and ’16 seasons, Stengle has played predominately Under 18s Macca’s Cup football last winter, and has shared his clubs commitments between Under 18s and reserves football this year.

“My coach at the Eagles Shane Reardon has been an important mentor in football,” Stengle explained.

“And I have a bit of football heritage in the family.

“Uncle Alex Stengle played a handful of league games for Centrals.

“Both Michael and Ricky O’Loughlin are uncles as well.”

Both the O’Loughlin’s played AFL football, with Michael becoming a 303-game superstar of the Sydney Swans.

Younger brother Ricky played nine games (2000-2001) for the Adelaide Crows, as well as league football with the Magpies.

Alex Stengle, after with his SANFL efforts was an All Australian amateur and the first division one indigenous Pfitzner medallist when playing at Gepps Cross.

His older brother Anthony played 16 games for the Port Adelaide Magpies reserves this year and has been a pair of Port Adelaide’s aboriginal academy as well.

At SANFL reserves level, which included an appearance in the Grand Final this year Stengle kicked 22 goals with a best haul of four against North Adelaide in July and a quartet of three-goal efforts, displaying his consistency.

Noted as an exceptional decision maker with strong goal sense, the 171cm, 69 kg Stengle has genuine pace.

He has displayed a strong attribute to handle pressure and his composed in traffic.

Stengle was a consistent performer in a difficult small forward role in South Australian colours at under 18s level this season.

In the weekend before the national AFL combine, Stengle played with the Koonibba Roosters in the annual state-wide aboriginal championships.

Brenton Phillips’ thoughts on Tyson Stengle:

“Firstly Tyson is a respectful young man.

“Tyson has many of the traits of a complete small forward.

“He has exceptional skills and game sense.

“Calmness, being cool in the heat of battle and controlled when he has the ball in hand are among his strong traits.

“He is also very difficult to tackle, which you don’t see often.”

Woodville-West Torrens excitement machine Tyson Stengle.

Few footballers have such a pedigree as the 171cm pocket rocket.

Stengle is related to Crows star Eddie Betts, former Sydney 303-game star Michael O’Loughlin and ex-Crow Ricky O’Loughlin, along with former Saint Terry Milera, who is now at Glenelg.

And while Michael O’Loughlin has been his biggest role model, Stengle makes no bones about who he is modelling his game on.

“I want to be like Eddie,’’ the brilliant indigenous small forward said.

“My game is probably based around what he does because I’m the same height and I like to run, jump and tackle.

“I watch a lot of him play and try to take things from his game to put into mine.’’

With brilliant skills, blistering pace and a love of tackling and applying ferocious forward pressure, Stengle could be the nearest thing to Betts in this year’s AFL draft crop.

A Year 12 student at Le Fevre High School and a member of Port Adelaide’s AFL Aboriginal Academy, along with fellow Croweater and small forward draft prospect Kym LeBois from North Adelaide, Stengle is ranked by Champion Data as SA’s fourth-best prospect.

He averaged the second-most Champion Data ranking points (104) of any small forward at the national under-18 championships and ranked first for ground ball-gets inside 50 (four).

Stengle also ranked inside the top 10 at the goalkicking test at the AFL draft combine.

He illustrated his goalkicking prowess by kicking 22 goals in 10 reserves matches for the Eagles last season while also booting 13 in nine under-18 games.

Stengle said watching his heralded relatives excel on the football field has motivated him to follow in their footsteps.

“Watching them play, being around them and having them offer me some advice has really made me want to get the best out of myself,’’ he said.

“I’ve worked really hard on my football and being with the Port academy this year has helped me to become more professional on and off the field.

“Following in the footsteps of Michael, Eddie and the other boys and getting drafted would be a dream come true, so hopefully things go my way.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly looks like we are going to be playing a different style of footy next year - & that can't be a bad thing.

I'm still desperately worried about our forward line tall options though... we are a JR8 longer term injury away from a real issue IMO.

Certainly looks like we are going to be playing a different style of footy next year - & that can't be a bad thing.

I'm still desperately worried about our forward line tall options though... we are a JR8 longer term injury away from a real issue IMO.
Dimma's obvously had enough of spud talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back