Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

geez, if you think that was a "success", i assume you think this club has enjoyed sustained "success" for the past 20 years hahah.

How about we (the club) set our success bar a little higher.

How is it a failure? We got far more out of McKenna than we do most rookie draft picks. It’s disappointing that he has retired but I don’t see why the club would have to be cautious about recruiting Irish players.

Always exciting and unpredictable. Go well Conor.

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face;

the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,

may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

So disappointing as a fan as we are deprived of about 5 years of peak McKenna... at a time we aren't really flush for elite weapons.
Another brick in the wall of mediocrity that keeps us from the promised land.

As others have said though - can't begrudge a guy turning his back on cash because you know he must be acting with pure intentions.

Sad, but expected. Had all the talent in the world, but his head just wasn’t in it.

All the best Conor, thanks for the memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cynical, I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back in a few years to another club.
If he comes back I'd be shocked if it were to another club.

The fact he achieved the level he did, without being fully committed over the past few years is truly remarkable.

Just 24 years old and hadn't touched a footy until 2014.

He could have been anything! If his heart was a 100% in it, he would have been All Australian. No doubt in my mind!

If he comes back I'd be shocked if it were to another club.
I don't knbow why - no contract and has proven abilities.

Goes away for 12-24 months and a club sees a benefit - offers overs to come for a max two year contract.

Not a fantasy situation.

I could see a Geelong, St Kilda or cashed up North doing a good deal for Conor

Conor was left to waltz back home to family while the squad was preparing for round 1. He was not held to the standard required of a professional athlete (that which was applied to his teammates) with regard to his season prep and then the EFC begged him to return to play out his last season when he clearly did not want to. How can we expect a standard of behaviour,
performance and adherence to guidelines when we’ve let him know loud and clear that he can do as he pleases? He will be found to have breached protocol and we will simply
reap what we’ve sewn with a half arsed unaccountable club environment; again. Take a cold hard look at the sequence of events objectively and it takes some serious mental gymnastics to conclude that we wouldn’t have been better off letting the guy walk.

I don't knbow why - no contract and has proven abilities.

Goes away for 12-24 months and a club sees a benefit - offers overs to come for a max two year contract.

Not a fantasy situation.

I could see a Geelong, St Kilda or cashed up North doing a good deal for Conor
And you're assuming we won't be doing the same?

And you're assuming we won't be doing the same?
If you had the choice of going to a club for a flag, for money or for a team you played with previously... just because; I see much better options out there outside of Essendon.

If you had the choice of going to a club for a flag, for money or for a team you played with previously... just because; I see much better options out there outside of Essendon.
I think there's plenty of goodwill between us and Conor. Who knows where we'll be in 2 years time? At the end of 2016 Richmond were considered one of the weakest clubs in the league. If we had done what some were suggesting there'd be a 0% chance he'd choose us. The way we've handled it, if he were to come back I think we'd be heavy favourites to be the club he chooses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back