Player Watch #45: Patrick Naish - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Balta & CCJ are both good picks I reckon.

The other 2 are busts.
My heart bl

sad for the lad…I’m very sure he’ll get another crack elsewhere

thanks Paddy

He won’t get a gig elsewhere. Just be glad he’s off our list. Not up to AFL standard and soft as butter. What more can I say than YeeHa! thank God I do not have to suffer watching him in our colours anymore.

He’s really only ever had one weapon - foot skills
And as we saw with Corey Ellis you need more than that at the top level.
As mentioned by others cost us the GC game with inability to stick tackles.

Delisted Tiger shouldn’t have to wait too long
Patrick Naish will likely have AFL suitors despite being delisted with only nine games under his belt on Tuesday.

The Tigers struggled to find a home for him given Kamdyn McIntosh is a lock on one wing and Jack Ross got chances late in the year on the other wing.

But he remains an elite kick with a strong tank at only 22, so will surely be seen as a rookie selection by a rival at minimum.

The son of popular 161-game forward Chris Naish was delisted alongside Derek Eggmolesse Smith, who won the last spot on the list.

Sydney Stack and Daniel Rioli will soon sign new deals while rivals believe Callum Coleman-Jones is more likely to stay despite outside interest including Gold Coast.

Always thought it was when not if he becomes a great player. I remember tuck. Some blokes bodies just take longer to fill out and I think paddy is one of them. I was hoping we vfl list him and he smashes that door down!

Naish was not quite quick enough to play the role he did, outside wingman. He had excellent evasion, good vision, a good tank, a good kick and a step above VFL, so although there are many detractors, to be a step above VFL means you are a good footballer.

If he had elite pace he would have made it as his strengths out weighed his weaknesses, not quite strong enough or aggressive enough. Plenty of footballers are the latter, but not many if they don't have the former.

Just not quite there. Might get snapped up and might still come good, but no harm letting him go and good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not going to sell my stock on Naish, think we will rue the decision. Kid can play. He is a victim of Dimma's love affair with certain players / types.
Naish was not quite quick enough to play the role he did, outside wingman. He had excellent evasion, good vision, a good tank, a good kick and a step above VFL, so although there are many detractors, to be a step above VFL means you are a good footballer.

If he had elite pace he would have made it as his strengths out weighed his weaknesses, not quite strong enough or aggressive enough. Plenty of footballers are the latter, but not many if they don't have the former.

Just not quite there. Might get snapped up and might still come good, but no harm letting him go and good luck to him.

Sometimes players like him also need more than 9 games to get there. He did a lot right and clearly had learned the art of accumulating possessions as he was hitting 30 near weekly in the VFL, usually with goals & marks added.

Its an odd strategy to be honest - we clearly value this type of player as we have used rather high picks in the past 5 years to obtain them - Naish, Menadue, C.Ellis - all of them failed to develop and all of them had the same fate - yo-yo'd between senior & VFL level. They also never looked like they had a role when they played. The ghost of Aaron Fiora perhaps? Who knows, but i sure hope we do not waste picks on more of that type this year, its pointless when considering how we play etc

Im not going to sell my stock on Naish, think we will rue the decision. Kid can play. He is a victim of Dimma's love affair with certain players / types.

Sometimes players like him also need more than 9 games to get there. He did a lot right and clearly had learned the art of accumulating possessions as he was hitting 30 near weekly in the VFL, usually with goals & marks added.

Its an odd strategy to be honest - we clearly value this type of player as we have used rather high picks in the past 5 years to obtain them - Naish, Menadue, C.Ellis - all of them failed to develop and all of them had the same fate - yo-yo'd between senior & VFL level. They also never looked like they had a role when they played. The ghost of Aaron Fiora perhaps? Who knows, but i sure hope we do not waste picks on more of that type this year, its pointless when considering how we play etc
I like what you had to say here even if I don't agree with you about Naish, who is lazy one way runner.

Very concerned that club cant see the fire for the smoke. Clear that clearance and footskills are more important than pressure and intercepts with the current rules, and we resign Castagna and McIntosh who are best suited to an outdated gamestyle and delist two with elite footskills suited to the game style that beat us time and time again this year

Agree in part with this but all the players you mention have one thing in common, lack of body strength which makes them very outside players, not exactly suited to modern football. C.Ellis was to slow for any position and not strong enough for an inside mid anyway, Menadue and Naish, you could add Markov to that list too so long to physically develop also.

But yes they never really got a good go at it, but then they had to try and break into a Premiership side. Look at Ross's development, all over the shop but luckily he had a good last game or there would be plenty swinging the axe his way. Not easy for young players, unless you play like Baker, small but brave as you can get, or Stack all class. You need something special (Bolton), and Naish as you say, never had the luxury of time. He may actually make it, but I wouldn't be betting on it. But the same was said about Markov, who is nowhere near as talented as Naish but bloody quick and a good size now.

Higgins trade. Balta injury. Ccj doubts. Naish.

This draft is a ball breaker
Higgins didn't get traded for peanuts though, the main reason our hand is so strong at this draft is the pick we got for him (which we on-traded to Geelong for their first rounder this year)

Balta injured this year, but has already played a significant part in a flag and will probably be a 10 year full back for us.

Biggest bulldust out that he was a victim of the lack of VFL in the last two years. Kids that have been on AFL lists for less than his four years have broken into teams. It was the same for all new kids especially for draftees that were selected in the last two seasons. Naish got 4 seasons and physically didn't improve , so well done Blair for getting rid of hm as it's a step moving forward for us.

Higgins didn't get traded for peanuts though, the main reason our hand is so strong at this draft is the pick we got for him (which we on-traded to Geelong for their first rounder this year)

Balta injured this year, but has already played a significant part in a flag and will probably be a 10 year full back for us.
That's completely in accurate. We are getting the saints 2nd round pick this year which is a downgrade on the first round pick we used to draft him. We swapped our first round last year for this year's Geelong 1st pick. Completely unrelated swaps.

That's completely in accurate. We are getting the saints 2nd round pick this year which is a downgrade on the first round pick we used to draft him. We swapped our first round last year for this year's Geelong 1st pick. Completely unrelated swaps.

You still don’t have that right.

In the Higgins deal we swapped our first rounder which ended up at pick 26 in the weaker looking 2020 draft for Saints first rounder which landed at pick 20 in that draft. We traded that pick to the Cats for their first rounder in the 2021 draft, probably likely to be around pick 18-19 par expectation, in a draft that should be stronger than 2020, given more footy has been played by the prospective draftees.

We also got the Saints 2021 second rounder for Higgins, which probably ends up around pick 30.

So we move from pick 26 in a weaker draft to pick 30 in a stronger draft, let’s say that is level value. The profit from the deal is this year’s pick 18-19, which had ways it could have been a higher pick, but not much scope to be lower.

We got plenty enough for Higgins.

Just on the Higgins trade i dont believe we were hard enough at the trade table for a player that was still under contract
We should have stuck to our guns and demanded a 1st rounder or no deal. 1st round pick with a 3rd going back or no deal should have been the demand.

We should have had the saints 1st rounder this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back