#45 - Ryan Davis- Much better than Nick and Leon

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy, another very good game yesterday. Looking at the football budget he is averaging 20.5 touches and 4 marks per match over the first 4 WAFL games of his career. Would have got similar numbers yesterday. Liking this kid a lot, from what I have seen so far.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Agreed, he's probably fighting it out with Wilkes for our best rookie listed player.

He's quick and pretty big for a 19 year old. I rate him :thumbsu:

Agreed, he's probably fighting it out with Wilkes for our best rookie listed player.

He's quick and pretty big for a 19 year old. I rate him :thumbsu:
Technically, Wilkes isn't a rookie since he was promoted for Brown.

Good article:

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/tabid/7155/Default.aspx?newsid=66989

WHEN West Coast rookie Ryan Davis talks about his unique path to the AFL he is considered and articulate. But when asked how it feels to exceed all expectations, including his own, the young Eagle can't help but grin from ear to ear.

Davis hoped to play a solid season with WAFL side Swan Districts in 2008 but that has morphed into a whirlwind first AFL campaign that has seen him play 11 games from the rookie list and become a poster boy for the AFL's NSW/ACT scholarship program.

Last November the Sydneysider made the trip to Perth and said getting elevated onto West Coast's senior list and playing AFL football was a long-term goal.

"I came over here just wanting to play a good, consistent season in the WAFL with Swan Districts and really just take it all on board," Davis told westcoasteagles.com.au as his first season drew to a close.

"Listen to what the coaches were saying, do all the training and just really go with the flow, see where it went."

The 19-year-old's dedication was rewarded with a round eight debut against North Melbourne on the Gold Coast, and he subsequently earned a near-permanent spot throwing himself into every contest and tackling with intent.

"Just putting yourself out there can earn some respect from the older players in footy," he said. "So just really putting your body on the line and attacking the footy and not having any fears or being intimidated by anything."

Growing up in north-west, Sydney Davis chopped and changed sports, In high school rugby union was compulsory, and it’s one sporting stage the former flanker credits for his vice-like tackling.

The speedy defender also dabbled in soccer, but at 14 was introduced to Australian football by a friend and encouraged to pursue it by Dad, Barry.

"Growing up in rugby all the islander boys just kept getting bigger and bigger and I'm pretty slight. So I gave AFL a crack and Dad reckoned I had attributes to play footy, so I stuck at it and he supported me with it."

Sydney, of course, is no longer considered an AFL outpost and the Sydney Swans provided Davis with a couple of hard-working heroes to follow in Paul Kelly and Ryan O'Keefe.

But, more importantly, his hometown provided the requirements for one of the more innovative journeys onto an AFL list.

"Being on the scholarship program the club had to tell me before the draft if they were going to draft me, and they sent something over for me to sign to make it water tight," he said.

"So I knew a couple of months before that I was coming over. They sent me an email and I just yelled for about 15 minutes."

"I was really keen, but I don't know if it was the best thing to tell me before my HSC (higher school certificate) exams."

The exams actually went well, Davis walked through the West Coast doors in early November and he has since proven to be quite studious in football terms, seeking advice at every turn.

"I think I've spoken to everybody about something to learn about a position, because I've been thrown around the ground," he said. "Whether it's (Darren) Glass about starting positions or (Quinten) Lynch about how to run, lead and hold the space, that sort of stuff."

But while Matt Priddis, Shannon Hurn and Beau Waters provided immediate tutelage for skills, diet and hydration remain a work in progress.

"I wasn't too crash hot back in Sydney, so that was really important to get right, because they reckon if you hydrate yourself properly that's 15 per cent extra performance you can get out of yourself," he said.

"I'm no the best at it, but I'm working on it."

I really like Davis, has pace, is tough, good skills, great overhead mark.

If he can just learn to find a bit more of it could be a really good player.

I like him as a HBF

Yeh good Player i like him too.
Though i have to say Doesnt get close to Leon Davis(star)
Future Brownlow winner in my opinion when he gets more of a go in the midfield.
Just wait till he comes home :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back