Past Player - Keenan Ramsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of history I suppose being the last Port junior ever to be drafted. Way to go SANFL #grassrootsfootybellends.

Johansson could go in the coming years.
Beioly whilst now at North played right through at Port too.
So still a couple there.

Bit of history I suppose being the last Port junior ever to be drafted. Way to go SANFL #grassrootsfootybellends.

End of the day, Port, EST 1254 wanted to go in the AFL. You have to pay the price for that, so time to move on. FWIW I agree with you, but as I say time to move on. Hope that was partonising enough:oops:

I'm so glad we got this bloke, unfortunately I never got to play against him as we're the same age. But a few mates from sturt that have say he's a jet and one of the best defenders they've played with or against, really hope he gets a crack at least a game or two next year.

Good pick-up IMO. Another player that's hard at it and is very versatile - a Walsh type selection IMO.

Hope the kid can handle his major handicap at this level ( being a Port supporter lol ).

As for the one eyed situation, he plays as he plays, and that doesn't even remotely come into it. He'll either be good enough or he won't.

Let's hope that he will be.

It would be really nice to have recruited a player sitting right under their noses that they ignored and for that recruit to end up being a damn good player. :)

I'd say the main issue would be the lack of depth-perception and decreased field of vision.

This is what I was thinking too, but it obviously hasn't really effected him if he's got the point of being drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good pick-up IMO. Another player that's hard at it and is very versatile - a Walsh type selection IMO.

Hope the kid can handle his major handicap at this level ( being a Port supporter lol ).

As for the one eyed situation, he plays as he plays, and that doesn't even remotely come into it. He'll either be good enough or he won't.

Let's hope that he will be.

It would be really nice to have recruited a player sitting right under their noses that they ignored and for that recruit to end up being a damn good player. :)

Port are more interested in winning SANFL games, hence the ridiculous rookie listing of Logan..

Ramsey is a good get. His disability hasn't hindered him to date and there is no reason why it will in the future. As for being a rabid Port fan, that means nothing when you are drafted. Once he gets to training and gets closer to his teammates, that'll be out the window. I'm sure there are plenty of ex-Crow fans at the PAFC... Chad Wingard, for example.

Not just a defender either....more a swingman!

Paige Cordona's bio

Keenan Ramsay Position: Key defender/forward
Height: 193 cm, Weight: 86 kg, DOB:
Club: Port Adelaide
Projected draft range: 40-rookie
Plays like: Lachie Henderson

Brenton Phillips’ move to make Keenan Ramsey South Australia’s number one key defender proved to be a masterstroke. After a move that created the unlikeliest of heroes, Ramsey can find himself very stiff to be overlooked as the All-Australian full back after a flawless championships. Most would know Ramsey’s back story by now: retinal cancer at the age of two meant that his eye was removed and such he has a glass eye, but that hasn’t stopped him. Ramsey may lack peripheral vision, but if anything it makes him move his head more, opening up greater options and angles. It’s all Ramsey knows, which is why it seemingly hasn’t had an ounce of an effect on his football to date. Ramsey started up forward during his junior football at Port and last year kicked 16 goals from 11 games: however, a switch into defence unearthed a skill set that makes him Ramsay ever so valuable to a league side. In particular, Ramsey’s spoiling, his strength to kill a contest and an ability to make his opponent accountable has seen him develop into a real prospect. His defensive attributes are quite strong, given that he tackles well and isn’t a stranger for getting into a scrap. He’s a great mark, reading the ball well in flight and protecting the drop zone. He’s better suited at playing at centre half forward or back, mostly because he has foot skills that are good enough to find a team-mate further afield. He certainly could fill out further, and when he does his current skill set is only going to be enhanced. He does have a limited ceiling because he doesn’t possess huge closing speed, a massive leap or elite athleticism, but his goal kicking at the combine returned a perfect score.

It's exciting to actually have developing KPP's now instead of the proven failures that the draft sanctions prevented us from culling (Graham, McKernan, LJ, LT).

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a503761e970b-800wi

Welcome to the club Gordon, or is it Chef?

Yea, cause he only has 1 eye. He's played with it all his life, so he doesn't know any different, but it was a concern apparentely. One you'd be more than willing to take in the rookie draft.
are you serious? and people have made a big deal out of it? he wouldn't have gotten past his clubs B grade side if it was a problem... Christ its not like he lost it during a game this year or something.

Good on him, I'll back him in to have a red hot go and I'm glad our recruitment team have given him the opportunity. I'll forgive him for being a Port supporter later ;)

I vaguely remember reading about his doctor or the surgeon who removed the eye, saying that because he was only 2 it won't affect him because he's had heaps of time to adjust. The brain is an amazing organ which can find new ways of adapting in changing circumstances. His highlight are very solid and clearly the one eye thing has scared a few people off. I wonder where he'd have gone in this draft period if he told no one about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back