Player Watch #46 Lachlan McAndrew

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know if McAndrew would have still been academy in the main draft?

Maybe he's too old to be matched? It might explain why we took him now instead of waiting til year end. Also means they're probably expecting a break out game soon

Also means they're probably expecting a break out game soon

Press [x] to doubt.

We just need a really tall player. There are no other requirements to be a Sydney ruckman.

Maybe he's too old to be matched? It might explain why we took him now instead of waiting til year end. Also means they're probably expecting a break out game soon

Pretty sure he wouldn’t be available as an academy selection as he joined the academy as an overager. He was in the academy for development purposes.

There was another kid, name escapes me, that moved from SA to NSW but whilst he could be a part of the academy, train and play games, we had no rights to bid for them in the same way as other players.

It's quite possible that we heard there may have been some interest from another club, and as ruckmen seem to be in 'short' supply at the moment, we decided to lock him away.

I think he was needs pick..hope he doesn't go the way of our last meid season picks

Pretty sure he wouldn’t be available as an academy selection as he joined the academy as an overager. He was in the academy for development purposes.

There was another kid, name escapes me, that moved from SA to NSW but whilst he could be a part of the academy, train and play games, we had no rights to bid for them in the same way as other players.
Frane Babic

Wish him all the best but our recent record with drafting and developing rucks in the last 20 years hasn't been great

You forgot Jason Ball

You also forgot Greg Stafford

Missed a few

Read the bolded. Jason Ball was traded to the Swans in 1999 over 20 years ago and Greg Stafford was drafted by the club in 1992 again over 20 years ago. You missed the important qualifier of the post.....yet again.

Guess he'll be ready to play senior footy (if at all) by 2025.
Don't like the idea of a long long project ruckman but good luck to him.
2029 if he shows whatever Naismith did

Read the bolded. Jason Ball was traded to the Swans in 1999 over 20 years ago and Greg Stafford was drafted by the club in 1992 again over 20 years ago. You missed the important qualifier of the post.....yet again.
Ha ha ha... mate you're expecting us to read and comprehend... that's a bit much!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's aiming for 2023.

He has just turned 21 and has already been receiving tutelage from Stephen Taubert so he isn't starting from zero either physically or skills wise.
He has Cox and by all accounts Hickey is a good mentor as well. I imagine that Sinclair and Naismith will also do their best to bring him along.
If he gets plenty of game time for the next one and a half seasons I think he may well be competitive in 2023 as Hickey and Naismith are winding down.

The more I think about this selection, the more I think we have another example that the Swans may well see the mid-season draft as an opportunity to experiment basically for free. I wonder how long he will be on the list and what the timelines of someone who has played 12 games of Australian Rules Football are in terms of development. Before you start throwing Pyke at me, keep in mind he was playing professional sport at the highest level before he became a Swan. This guy is nothing like Mike Pyke.

Sure, you cant train height, but I am very skeptical about the chances for success with this pick-up.

The more I think about this selection, the more I think we have another example that the Swans may well see the mid-season draft as an opportunity to experiment basically for free. I wonder how long he will be on the list and what the timelines of someone who has played 12 games of Australian Rules Football are in terms of development. Before you start throwing Pyke at me, keep in mind he was playing professional sport at the highest level before he became a Swan. This guy is nothing like Mike Pyke.

Sure, you cant train height, but I am very skeptical about the chances for success with this pick-up.

30 games over 8 years and he's a bonafide star in my book.

Agreed. I'll be happy to be proven wrong but I'll be fairly stunned if he plays a senior game given where he is right now. Most rucks need some kind of inherent brute-ness about them to make it imo, some intent to throw themselves about physically. Unless you're someone like Tim English who is a very high draft pick and has great skill/game sense. If you're a rookie pick, you almost surely don't have the same kind of skill/game sense and need something else to hang your hat on which isn't just height. Pyke, as brought up earlier, had the physicality and was a professional international sportsman already so he knew what it was to work hard. Mumford as a very raw rookie had the physicality. Naismith, for all the issues he's had with his body, at least has a great leap. I don't see much to write home about with McAndrew. I mean from watching him in the reserves I don't even see the tiny little signs you hope for to say in 2 years he might be x, y, or z.

I'm genuinely rooting for him because I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Agreed. I'll be happy to be proven wrong but I'll be fairly stunned if he plays a senior game given where he is right now. Most rucks need some kind of inherent brute-ness about them to make it imo, some intent to throw themselves about physically. Unless you're someone like Tim English who is a very high draft pick and has great skill/game sense. If you're a rookie pick, you almost surely don't have the same kind of skill/game sense and need something else to hang your hat on which isn't just height. Pyke, as brought up earlier, had the physicality and was a professional international sportsman already so he knew what it was to work hard. Mumford as a very raw rookie had the physicality. Naismith, for all the issues he's had with his body, at least has a great leap. I don't see much to write home about with McAndrew. I mean from watching him in the reserves I don't even see the tiny little signs you hope for to say in 2 years he might be x, y, or z.

I'm genuinely rooting for him because I'd love to be proven wrong though.

He made the grade as a Rugby player right up until the point he couldn't bulk up. He's been in a system, if not the AFL one, at least a moderately elite one.

Charlie Gardiner said during the trade period that he was already signed up for 2023.

It's been great through VFL to see Lachlan develop his skills as a tap ruckman learning his craft from Dean Cox.
Another Sydney Academy boy :)
Well-deserved debut
Enjoy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back