VFL Jesse Glass-McCasker

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Carlton, Jesse Glass-McCasker.

Knightmare:

My thoughts on Glass-McCasker are much the same as before though I haven't viewed him since the u18 champs. In a draft deep with key position players he is one of the crowd. And he is in the mix for selection without being a certainty.

His height and size is appealing and he can play a shutdown role but he needs to become more of a rebounder, particularly with so many young key defenders coming through with that ability to not only beat their opponents as Glass-McCasker can do, but they also take intercept marks and provide some rebound.

Draft range is mid draft - undrafted (though unless you're being noted as a first round selection this year the undrafted element is implied with everyone else this year).

For an AFL comparison the first that comes to mind is Joel Tippett.

Snoop Dog:

# 12 Richmond - Jesse Glass-McCasker (Swan Districts / 196cm / 95kg)

He could slip a bit in the rookie as a few clubs stocked up in the National Draft but he surely wouldn't go past Richmond.Really good looking type who is very athletic and has great size and strength about him. Could turn into a type who could handle the bigger full forwards and what I really think clubs will like is he is a type who is happy to run off and create. He is a safe kick but not a great one and he had a few moments in the champs where he is ball use by foot should have been better. Still he wants to do it and recruiters will tell you they would rather a kid have the intent if they think they can clean up his decision making etc. Lot to work with and would think a club would be keen to take him if they think they can work on his kicking and get him to become a bit more offensively clean.

Quigley:

38. Jesse Glass-McCasker

Ht – 196 Wt – 92

There is going to be a lot of KP talent around in the latter part of this draft who have shown glimpses of some serious talent. Picking which ones who are going to succeed and which ones are going to flop is to largely be a function of luck but get it right and the recruiters are going to look like geniuses. Glass-McCasker is right in that basket. He has the potential to be a top tier defender but the risk is high and he could just as easily bust altogether.

Glass-McCasker can play at both ends and has done this year. Personally I think this has not helped him. He is still a very raw prospect and it would have been better to settle him into one position and let him learn the nuances of that position rather than throwing him from one end to the other. I see him as a defender. He has good size already and when his frame fills out he is going to be a beast. He does not get into too many body on body contests at the moment but when he does he shows good ability to hold his position. He has pretty good hands and a nice vertical leap. He will punch but he does need to refine his decision making about when to mark and when to punch. Like many junior KPDs he does tend to go for the mark a bit more often than he should.

As mentioned above he is still a very raw player and his positioning at the back leaves a fair bit to be desired. Smart forwards would eat him up at AFL level early in his career and I see him playing a couple of years in a State league side before he develops the game sense to make use of his physical talent to the full extent. People should remember how lost Rance looked for his first 2 or 3 years before he finally got things together. Expect similar from Glass-McCasker.

Athletically there is a lot to like with Glass-McCasker. He was in the top 25% of the jumps at the Combine and was 6th overall in the agility test which is great for a big bodied defender. Being able to change direction quickly when a forward makes a move is an underrated physical trait for a defender. His 20m testing was not as good as I was expecting at the Combine but it was still pretty good. From watching him he just looked a bit quicker than he tested. His endurance is the big hole in his athletic profile and I doubt he is ever going to make a wide ranging CHB. More likely he will be a FB type. Like Rance though I think he could contribute nicely in the offensive side of the game.

Glass-McCasker runs off nicely when he gets the chance. He is nicely balanced and has a good burst of pace that surprises for defending forwards. He has a really nice long handball and is a decent kick of the ball. His kicking technique is okay and he is a bit of a feel kick. He does need to work on his weighting but he is not far away and with work in an AFL environment I think he could turn out to be a quality kick coming out of defence. He can get excellent penetration and can kick over a zone if they are a bit bunched.

He has been compared to Rance in body size and athleticism and I do think he has that kind of upside. He is well worth a punt in the second or third round.

Chris25:

45. Hawthorn - Jesse Glass-McCasker (198cm, 95kg defender from Swan Districts)

One of the more promising tall defenders, outside of the first round obviously. Glass-McCasker was arguably Western Australia's best player at the Championships, and was unlucky to not be in the All Australian squad. He had a good battle with Schache in one of the matches. Not a big factor in terms of rebounding and intercept marks yet, but he's a big kid and has also been swung forward in the WAFL Colts.

Skippos:

Pick 38 - West Coast: Jesse Glass-McCasker – KPD (196 cm, 92 kg, Swan Districts)

In a lot of ways, Glass-McCasker is what the modern KPD should be. He's very raw, but very, very athletic. He's quick, agile, has a great leap and closes down his opponents well. As a stopper he will be very useful once he gets his endurance to standard. His skills need a lot of work though, at this stage he's very much an athlete first.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Blues Jesse. We are looking forward to seeing you in the Blue for many years to come :thumbsu:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...e-glass-mccasker-has-chance-of-afl-selection/

Club recruiters who ventured to Geelong for the final day of the under-18 national championships in July were expecting to see Vic Country cruise past WA and likely No.2 draft pick Schache kick a bag of goals.
The result went as expected, with Vic Country securing a clean sweep of wins to claim the title.

But Schache, considered a near certainty to follow in his late father Laurence Schache’s footsteps and join Brisbane, was held to just one goal.
He was worn like a glove by 198cm Glass-McCasker, who showed off his strong defensive skills, aerial ability and developing rebounding game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View the AFL's footage through the draft tracker. Looks very good.

Tall defender who is a great athlete, moving extremely well for a player of his size. Is versatile with his ability to play at either end of the ground. Positions himself well in one-on-one duels and spoils strongly. Provides good run and carry for his team from defensive 50.

Yep, I was coming on to say that. His highlights on the AFL website in the draft tracker are really good. His disposal looks good.
Needs a bit of work, but he is a work in progress.

Not at all worried about a perceived lack of rebound. You can carry one absolutely brilliant stopper who is limited elsewhere at the AFL level if your other KPD is a rebounding machine. Thankfully enough Jacob Weitering is every AFL team's wet dream in regards to a rebounding KPD. We absolutely got a steal here.

Not at all worried about a perceived lack of rebound. You can carry one absolutely brilliant stopper who is limited elsewhere at the AFL level if your other KPD is a rebounding machine. Thankfully enough Jacob Weitering is every AFL team's wet dream in regards to a rebounding KPD. We absolutely got a steal here.
Funny you say that, but his highlights shows he is more of a rebound type than a shutdown type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back