AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed a fair bit of the match but good pace at the end - must have a decent repeat sprint. One of the more balanced players on the list. Get Mercs to come in the pre season and show him a couple of moves.

He has had 6 tackles in 3 weeks and 2 goals in 3 weeks. 9 disposals a game is perhaps on par but it's not flying with me.
Have bigger issues with others on the list.

Fast becoming our new Josh Green, hoping he has another cog.

Not an unreasonable comment.

Green was a smart forward who could kick a goal, too.

Menzie is likewise struggling with the defensive/pressure side of the game. It's been a feature of his play from his first days with us.

He doesnt seem to have a half forward game, either. I believe he will likely end up too slow to be long term best 22 for a team that wants to play 2 out and out key forwards and 2 rucks.

Not writing him off as there are a lot of issues with the forward mix. It means Menzie is exposed more than he should/would normally be.

Not an unreasonable comment.

Green was a smart forward who could kick a goal, too.

Menzie is likewise struggling with the defensive/pressure side of the game. It's been a feature of his play from his first days with us.

He doesnt seem to have a half forward game, either. I believe he will likely end up too slow to be long term best 22 for a team that wants to play 2 out and out key forwards and 2 rucks.

Not writing him off as there are a lot of issues with the forward mix. It means Menzie is exposed more than he should/would normally be.

The lack of defensive pressure doesn't fall on the feet of the small forward?

Menzie lacks the speed to make it at the level imo. Similar to Michael Gibbons and Josh Green.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has had 6 tackles in 3 weeks and 2 goals in 3 weeks. 9 disposals a game is perhaps on par but it's not flying with me.
Almost as if he's a 21 year old playing his first year of AFL football.

He's about the only small player on our list that plays small. He doesn't fly for pack marks and is regularly front and centre. Just needs the ball to bounce his way occasionally.

He’s a better player than Josh Green. He’s very good 1:1, marks well and thinks really quickly with ball in hand. He’s also a tough little prick.

The concerns about his pace are valid - he’s not Ned Cahill slow, he can get separation - but he does struggle to apply pressure. Ultimately it’s about what he can deliver ball in hand and does the forward mix allow us to carry a small who can’t deliver turbo charged pressure.

He’s a better player than Josh Green. He’s very good 1:1, marks well and thinks really quickly with ball in hand. He’s also a tough little prick.

The concerns about his pace are valid - he’s not Ned Cahill slow, he can get separation - but he does struggle to apply pressure. Ultimately it’s about what he can deliver ball in hand and does the forward mix allow us to carry a small who can’t deliver turbo charged pressure.
He can get outpointed too easily in the marking contests (Yeo for example) but shouldn't be flying for many.

Needs to stay in. Another preseason and I think he can get to a great level. Just slightly off AFL pace but I think it will click soon. Agree, tough as nails.

I mean he’s in his second year at the club, first full year. You’d fully expect there to be a focus on improving in multiple areas, whether it’s attacking skills and patterns, defending skills and patterns, or whatever.

I do think we can walk and chew gum at the same time though.

He can get outpointed too easily in the marking contests (Yeo for example) but shouldn't be flying for many.

Needs to stay in. Another preseason and I think he can get to a great level. Just slightly off AFL pace but I think it will click soon. Agree, tough as nails.

I don't think you can really blame him for being outmarked by Elliott Yeo can you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back