AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie

Remove this Banner Ad

If we're highlighting stats without context, I'd say his output is just about the same as Mark Baguley's 2018 season, sub-adjusted.

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 8.03.03 am.png

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 8.03.45 am.png

He'll look better when he's got some actual small forwards playing alongside him.

Menzie, J Davey, AMT for example. He's a smart player, can hold his own against similar size players in the air, seems to have a relatively strong body and is usually good for a goal every week.

Doesn't need to be a superstar, but no reason he can't be a part of a functional forward-line.

He can get outpointed too easily in the marking contests (Yeo for example) but shouldn't be flying for many.

Needs to stay in. Another preseason and I think he can get to a great level. Just slightly off AFL pace but I think it will click soon. Agree, tough as nails.

He was a bit stiff in that one, he'd never normally be on Yeo apart from those exact situations - and it was definitely touched/shouldn't have been paid. Yeo is winning a 1-on-1 90% of the time in that instance. As Kelly or Lav would against Noah Long.

I really like him. Surprised how harsh some have been, he's been on the list like 13 months and in that time has kicked 21 goals before his 20th game.

he's had a few shockers (anzac day comes to mind) but generally he plays a good role in the forward line and can move down the ground to assist when required.

what our forward line is generally lacking is someone (like eddie betts, for an extreme example) who's able to effectively crumb really well. it's something that's become far more apparent since 2mp returned to the side but with a lot of balls coming down generally from pack marks, we're missing lots of chances for shots on goals because no one particularly elects to stay on the ground instead of jumping. if menzie (or one of the davey's) is able to come into that role in the next season or two, i think we'll become a lot stronger down forward

He was a bit stiff in that one, he'd never normally be on Yeo apart from those exact situations - and it was definitely touched/shouldn't have been paid. Yeo is winning a 1-on-1 90% of the time in that instance. As Kelly or Lav would against Noah Long.

I really like him. Surprised how harsh some have been, he's been on the list like 13 months and in that time has kicked 21 goals before his 20th game.
Yep, love him. I was a bit harsh with the mark that should not have been. Yeo is always good against us.

Must stay in for the rest of the year. His upside is massive once he finds his feet with the pace of AFL. That handball was something else, perfect and he only had a split second!

He'll look better when he's got some actual small forwards playing alongside him.

Menzie, J Davey, AMT for example. He's a smart player, can hold his own against similar size players in the air, seems to have a relatively strong body and is usually good for a goal every week.

Doesn't need to be a superstar, but no reason he can't be a part of a functional forward-line.

Is this what we’ve become?

He is the small fwd, it’s HIS position to contribute. Not on the back of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to know what is he? A pressure forward? a marking forward? a general forward who links up the mid-fwd lines?

At the moment he's short of a few roles hence my reservations on what he is.
He's Jye Menzie, that's who.

He is the small fwd, it’s HIS position to contribute. Not on the back of others.

Are you ok?

He’s not a star, not every player is a star, some players are part of a functional unit.

At the moment he’s the sole genuine small forward down there, unlike AMT he can’t make scoring opportunities magically appear. He needs some players alongside him to make it a functional unit, of which he’ll be a useful component.

That last play where he read it off the pack at full pace before hand balling it to Kyle Langford to kick a goal was top shelf by Jye 👍🏻

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He does contribute

Though small forwards mainly rely on the big men doing their main job of bringing the ball to ground. If the opposition are intercept marking the small forwards are mute

He’s 21… he’s been at the club for 12 months. He offers a lot more than josh green
Agreed. If they were in the same team, Josh Green would be cheating out the back calling for a handball from Jye Menzie who haddone the hard work.

Come to think of it I've never seen Kyle Langford and Josh Green in the same room :oops:

He does contribute

Though small forwards mainly rely on the big men doing their main job of bringing the ball to ground. If the opposition are intercept marking the small forwards are mute
True . Hard to crumb and opposition mark .

Agreed. If they were in the same team, Josh Green would be cheating out the back calling for a handball from Jye Menzie who haddone the hard work.

Come to think of it I've never seen Kyle Langford and Josh Green in the same room :oops:
They played 4 games together in Josh's last year on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back