AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie

Remove this Banner Ad

True . Hard to crumb and opposition mark .
not with that attitude ;)

we need another one of him.
Or we need whichever mids are resting forward to do the same work.

I watched SPP sat night during the Geelong game. He's not a small fwd, but he chases non-stop. Not the cleanest skilled player in the world, but that pressure deprives opponents of time and space to get a ball out.

Parish and Merrett are in the top bracket of pressure acts in the comp, particularly in D50. We need that from the mids who are F50. Our best this season had that coming from Caldwell and Shiel. Stringer when fit was doing a lot of it. It feels like it's dropped off as we've progressed into the season, lost some bodies, etc.

The list of genuine crumbers that have kicked more goals than him this year is a little more than a dozen, and he’s played less games and is younger than all of them.

And he’s been dropped and had his place questioned on multiple occasions.

Highly, highly underrated year, absolutely stoked with how he’s progressing. One of the first ones I’d pick each week.

The list of genuine crumbers that have kicked more goals than him this year is a little more than a dozen, and he’s played less games and is younger than all of them.

And he’s been dropped and had his place questioned on multiple occasions.

Highly, highly underrated year, absolutely stoked with how he’s progressing. One of the first ones I’d pick each week.
you label him a crumber but I would argue he is more the CHF version of Alwyn Davey than the forward pocket version

you label him a crumber but I would argue he is more the CHF version of Alwyn Davey than the forward pocket version
He is not a classic crumbing forward for sure. He does need to make more tackles inside 50. He is a speedy small forward that can get in space and mark or run onto the footy and have an impact.

Crumber vs small is semantics.

Probably more skills to his bow than just a pure crumber anyway.

Striking a nice balance between attack and defensive work and his 1v1 win percentage is actually significantly higher than any of our other forwards, better than Cameron, Breust, Stengle and Pickett and near enough Toby Greene.

On that evidence we need to feed him more footy.

Last edited:
big fan.
the endless chasing, the small fwd nous and quick feet. loves a snag too.
I love how he always looks frustrated that he can't run a bit faster (his mind moves faster than his legs).

i think what's most apparent is that he works really hard in the game, i've noticed from the games i've watched is that he's constantly in good positions, be it up the ground as a connecting player or holding a player well. i think something that he'll be good at is winning 1 on 1s in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crumber vs small is semantics.

Probably more skills to his bow than just a pure crumber anyway.

Striking a nice balance between attack and defensive work and his 1v1 win percentage is actually significantly higher than any of our other forwards, better than Cameron, Breust, Stengle and Pickett and near enough Toby Greene.

On that evidence we need to feed him more footy.
imho only one of Guelfi or Menzie can fit into one forward line. Guelfi probably has the higher ceiling, Menzies has the runs on the board this year

imho only one of Guelfi or Menzie can fit into one forward line. Guelfi probably has the higher ceiling, Menzies has the runs on the board this year
They're polar opposites in terms of style. Guelfi is purely pressure and doesn't have as many avenues to goal, whilst Menzie's biggest issue is his pressure.

They're polar opposites in terms of style. Guelfi is purely pressure and doesn't have as many avenues to goal, whilst Menzie's biggest issue is his pressure.
disagree, menzie doesn't have the tank that guelfi does.

guelfi spends most games chasing opponents and may slide in for a goal, otherwise he's a very defensive forward

disagree, menzie doesn't have the tank that guelfi does.

guelfi spends most games chasing opponents and may slide in for a goal, otherwise he's a very defensive forward
Eh, same thing. He can't pressure as much if he's not as fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back