AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Needed some time at Queenstown football ground when he was in TAS.
Thankfully we play our games under a roof so no Tasmanian player will ever deal with weather conditions again...
I’ve been to Queenstown, made the mistake of staying the night there several years ago.

Absolute hole of a place, in the middle of an environmental wasteland with rows of cast iron shanty huts and chicken wire fences around their tiny yards, left over from the miners who were paid to gouge holes in the nearby hills and poison the river in the process.

The gravel oval is not even the half of it, never mind the weather

I’ve been to Queenstown, made the mistake of staying the night there several years ago.

Absolute hole of a place, in the middle of an environmental wasteland with rows of cast iron shanty huts and chicken wire fences around their tiny yards, left over from the miners who were paid to gouge holes in the nearby hills and poison the river in the process.

Yeah we just did a drive by when doing a touring holiday around Tassie years ago. Lobbed into Strahan for a couple of nights (Franklin River cruise is pretty special) then drove to Hobart for our next stop, choosing to break somewhere that had stunning scenery (but I can't recall where exactly) instead of Queenstown.

Sorry for the avg start to the season. Can’t help but feel I jinxed him. He should be good for a bunch of goals and disposals over the next game or two. Cashed out my $5 rising star bet for 64c.

I’m hoping we get to see him a bit higher up the field, even on the wing a bit.

Has the tank required and I’m not sure he’s actually a pure crumber, reckon he’s more what I’d describe as a general ball ferret. A bit on the lead, a bit out the back, a bit just linking up in general play and knowing where the ball is going.

Was at the ground tonight. He’s terribly out of form. Nothing’s working for him. I reckon he’s capable of a lot better but he’s not going to improve at the top level. Needs to go down and have fun.

He was competing so much better 4 weeks ago. He's lost his form and confidence unfortunately.
Its tough because we don't really have any of our small forwards in form now. So which ones would benefit the most from going back to the 2s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard an interview with him few weeks ago and something stuck out to me, he is a midfielder first.

Unsure he has the capabilities and natural forward craft to become an AFL level small forward which doesn't bode well long term for Jye. I echo the sentiments that he probably needs a spell to find out if it is him out of form or if he too good for VFL and unfortunately between the levels.

A lot probably won't agree but I think Jye needs a spell in the VFL.

Not sure if he us ready, but maybe Tex can come in since he offers a lot of defensive pressure up forward.
i’m pretty sure everyone would agree with you

Yes his form has dropped off a bit, but so has ours as a team. Tough as a small forward in your second year especially after playing Collingwood, Geelong port and Brisbane in consecutive weeks with our defence also going down making it a lot harder for our forwards to have impact. Like the look of him, his attack on the footy is great and seems to find the footy well. If he comes out though Id like to see us replace him with snelling. He's quality and I reckon he just needs a bit of continuity at the top level. Don't get 3rd in a bnf for no reason

I thought he was ok in the first half. Making it harder for our small forwards we don't have a conventional approach bringing the ball into the forward line - ie putting it in front of a big forward and therefore if it spills can be read of hands. He should have protected the drop when one out in the third qtr and probably ends up with a couple of goals hopefully learns from little things like that.

Yes his form has dropped off a bit, but so has ours as a team. Tough as a small forward in your second year especially after playing Collingwood, Geelong port and Brisbane in consecutive weeks with our defence also going down making it a lot harder for our forwards to have impact. Like the look of him, his attack on the footy is great and seems to find the footy well. If he comes out though Id like to see us replace him with snelling. He's quality and I reckon he just needs a bit of continuity at the top level. Don't get 3rd in a bnf for no reason
Tough on all our forwards last night with only 38 inside 50's.

It's just quite a few recently indicated he shouldn't be dropped. But, I guess as we've been exposed the past month, so has Jye.
they’re probably the same few who think Parish is a liability

Prominent small forwards he’s averaging more goals a game than:

Close
Elliot
Gresham
Spargo
Switkowski
McReery

Multiple goals 2 weeks running just further validates the importance of the running he does, the competing in the air and the pressure he brings.

Very good little footballer.

I went there when it was still a mining town with a mate. Was even shitier. Stopped at the pub for a beer and we had one and got out of there pretty quick. Locals were like something out of Deliverance!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back