Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully you guys don't mind me posting here but I think this is an attitude that is slowly dying. Players realise that clubs will show no loyalty at all towards them if something happens to them, or a club feels like they will benefit from getting rid of a player, and as a result players are realising they have no obligation to show loyalty to a club. For instance, if Gold Coast offered Essendon picks 1 and 2 for Daniher, Essendon would practically pack Daniher's bags for him, so with that in mind, why should the player show loyalty.

It isn't just Essendon of course, but clubs will get rid of a player in a second if they feel like getting rid of that player will benefit them, and I think players are slowly starting to realise that.
Yeah true. I've missed five games since 1973 in Melbourne, that's a lot of games and it's changed so much. Six games on a Saturday to wall to wall football, sometimes Thursday through to Monday. I know players couldn't give a * and lately I've wondered myself, why do I give such a * ? I go more out of duty these days, more social, catch up with mates, introduce my kids to the joy of following a club, sticking with them through drug saga's and 104 point floggings, and Tippa having the ball on a string.
But players ? They stopped giving a * decades ago, you think I'm that dumb ? But I'm still a romantic and the Daniher name is still steeped in Essendon folklore. I still bag swan mates about Neville Fields, what a transfer that was ( note, I said transfer, not trade, as it was known way back then).
So yes, ruthless me says "thanks joe, 2 years on top dollar, for * all return, let's see what sydney brings to the table"
Either way, we win, club needs a shake up.

Yeah true. I've missed five games since 1973 in Melbourne, that's a lot of games and it's changed so much. Six games on a Saturday to wall to wall football, sometimes Thursday through to Monday. I know players couldn't give a fu** and lately I've wondered myself, why do I give such a fu** ? I go more out of duty these days, more social, catch up with mates, introduce my kids to the joy of following a club, sticking with them through drug saga's and 104 point floggings, and Tippa having the ball on a string.
But players ? They stopped giving a fu** decades ago, you think I'm that dumb ? But I'm still a romantic and the Daniher name is still steeped in Essendon folklore. I still bag swan mates about Neville Fields, what a transfer that was ( note, I said transfer, not trade, as it was known way back then).
So yes, ruthless me says "thanks joe, 2 years on top dollar, for fu** all return, let's see what sydney brings to the table"
Either way, we win, club needs a shake up.
Loved the trip down memory lane! 👍

List needs tweaking, club as a whole needs a harder edge which will translate on the field. Expecting rather than accepting.

One thing most seem to have missed is there is no talk of us having an offer of a contract extension. If we where 100% on him coming good and I suspect we would have already had an offer in but it seems it has been parked. Possible reason is the club are not prepared to offer him a new 3 year deal on big wedge until they see him out on the ground and playing like the old Joe for more than a couple of weeks.

The one thing I do know is he will have to be on a modified program from now on even though he has had the operation. I am wondering just how well the rehab is going. There has been updates that the operation went well but not a lot of real news or time frame on when he will be up and running.

Essendon well within their right to do that I reckon and I like it that they aren’t offering him big money for an extension out of fear of him leaving.

Joes been on big cash and hasn’t delivered. Why should Essendon pay for a name? We need players who can get on the park and deliver.

If joe was serious he’d commit and earn his extension in 2020, not try and scare the club into bankrolling him for the next 3 years.

One thing most seem to have missed is there is no talk of us having an offer of a contract extension. If we where 100% on him coming good and I suspect we would have already had an offer in but it seems it has been parked. Possible reason is the club are not prepared to offer him a new 3 year deal on big wedge until they see him out on the ground and playing like the old Joe for more than a couple of weeks.

The one thing I do know is he will have to be on a modified program from now on even though he has had the operation. I am wondering just how well the rehab is going. There has been updates that the operation went well but not a lot of real news or time frame on when he will be up and running.
So what you're saying is we should be going after Ben King anyway. I agree.

What does it matter if we’re offered 10 first rounders? Can’t we only trade a bloke unless they agree to it?

What does it matter if we’re offered 10 first rounders? Can’t we only trade a bloke unless they agree to it?

Thought you could

Though the AFL clubs are too scared to actually do it. It’s all about what the player want

I think Merrett’s comments had a different meaning to the spin the media has done i.e Joey wanting a trade to Sydney.

I think Merrett and Campbell’s comments could indicate Joey is thinking about football in general - if he wants to continue etc.

That lines up more with what’s Joey has said recently (about playing for EFC next year and it would only change if EFC didn’t want him).

Would be awful but perhaps Joey is actually considering retirement? Any recent word on his rehab?

The thought crossed my mind when I listened to the club comment on it yesterday.

I'd originally thought this was management trying to get him the best deal possible but
Joe might not be in the best space personally. The club just keeps commenting about giving a player space and that the last two years have been challenging.
John mentioned a long time ago about getting Joe to love the game again.

This media speculation could be the very thing that he is struggling with.

I think Merrett’s comments had a different meaning to the spin the media has done i.e Joey wanting a trade to Sydney.

I think Merrett and Campbell’s comments could indicate Joey is thinking about football in general - if he wants to continue etc.

That lines up more with what’s Joey has said recently (about playing for EFC next year and it would only change if EFC didn’t want him).

Would be awful but perhaps Joey is actually considering retirement? Any recent word on his rehab?
This is quite possible.

If he was considering retirement all of this trade talk would be pretty redundant and just be a waste of time...

Omg he’s considering retirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is classic attention seeking behaviour. It's like that episode of The Pope where he talks about Daft Punk and JD Salinger, and mystery drawing an audience. We're all being drawn into his diabolical vortex while he collects clickbait $$$.

Worsfold being asked about Daniher on 3AW;
Obviously our absolute focus is on getting Joe fit and helping the young man get back to playing his best footy. He's such an exciting player we all want to see him out on the park playing footy. We want to see him selfishly not only because he's good for the game and good for the fans, but the Essendon footy club needs him out there. So that's our number 1 focus. In the background also because he's such a talented player and he hasn't played for a while people may see that he is potentially a chance to be prised out of Essendon, he comes out of contract next year as a restricted free agent and he's currently contracted to us for next year. That's the facts as I see them and that's the only facts we have in front of us at the moment.

The other fact is he met with the Swans, how did you see that fact?

Well all I know about that is he met with Tom Harley, I don't know what they talked about. I don't know whether it was as suggested a talk between mates or if Tom had the full red carpet laid out leading up to the Sydney footy club. So that's an unknown fact, but the fact really yeah they met. But that hasn't changed anything else. Out of that meeting, nothing has come from that, that we're aware of, that Sydney is interested in him playing there.

People talk about individuals not being as big as the club, but i completely disagree. I got back into footy a few years back when i heard the names Watson and Daniher being talked about and Hird as coach. The club as an entity doesn't mean much to me, but i've got nostalgia for the famous names as a result of growing up watching with my father and grandfather in the early 80's. A club spirit is all about history and history is made up of the names involved, not the club itself. The club itself brings to mind the saga these days so they should know they've got no money in the bank when it comes to loyalty. I survived the axing of Hird because i had a great interest in Watson and a growing interest in Daniher. If JD goes this year, my interest will be shot to pieces. I imagine i will keep at least a distant eye on the team, but basically i will be gone. Life's too short and i'm too busy to manufacture interest in team just for the sake of it.

People talk about individuals not being as big as the club, but i completely disagree. I got back into footy a few years back when i heard the names Watson and Daniher being talked about and Hird as coach. The club as an entity doesn't mean much to me, but i've got nostalgia for the famous names as a result of growing up watching with my father and grandfather in the early 80's. A club spirit is all about history and history is made up of the names involved, not the club itself. The club itself brings to mind the saga these days so they should know they've got no money in the bank when it comes to loyalty. I survived the axing of Hird because i had a great interest in Watson and a growing interest in Daniher. If JD goes this year, my interest will be shot to pieces. I imagine i will keep at least a distant eye on the team, but basically i will be gone. Life's too short and i'm too busy to manufacture interest in team just for the sake of it.
cya

No you won’t. We can all stamp our feet and get angry but once you’re in, you’re in.

So to sum up:

* You supported the club when it was successful
* Stopped when they sucked
* Came back when it looked like they'd be successful again
* Only for you to now jump off them once more because they look like sucking again.

Hawthorne sounds like just the club for you to embrace. Here you go

- He’s a star player under a HUGE injury cloud

- offering him a big money contract extension now would be stupid and the club would be mad to. The reality is he may not be back to his best.

- if Sydney want to do that then good luck to them. I’ll repeat - it’d be stupid.

- if they do then we take a trade

- if they don’t then we hope like hell he gets back to his best next year. If he does, we make him an enormous offer. If he doesn’t, we make him an appropriate offer.

All fairly straightforward

- offering him a big money contract extension now would be stupid and the club would be mad to. The reality is he may not be back to his best.

- if Sydney want to do that then good luck to them. I’ll repeat - it’d be stupid.

- if they don’t then we hope like hell he gets back to his best next year. If he does, we make him an enormous offer. If he doesn’t, we make him an appropriate offer.

So to sum up:

* You supported the club when it was successful
* Stopped when they sucked
* Came back when it looked like they'd be successful again
* Only for you to now jump off them once more because they look like sucking again.

Hawthorne sounds like just the club for you to embrace. Here you go
Nope. Supported them when i was kid, lost interest in the mid 90's. Came back around 2012. Didn't even watch half the 2000 grand final, just wasn't into it.

Not straighforward when it comes to the trade part imo.

What if they lowball which they will because of said injury which is fair enough on their part. Then we have to question the worth of it for us.

The way I look at it. If they just offer pick 4 what are the odds you are getting a very good player? Good but there is a risk of a dud though.

Daniher may never get back to his best but we know what he is capable of if fit. Probably alot better than what pick 4 can offer realistically but for less time.

Id back in Daniher personally but I dont have all the information the club has but I would hope they only trade him if they strongly believe he wont be the player he was or Syndey pay overs which they wont as they can get him for free next year.

Not straighforward when it comes to the trade part imo.

What if they lowball which they will because of said injury which is fair enough on their part. Then we have to question the worth of it for us.

The way I look at it. If they just offer pick 4 what are the odds you are getting a very good player? Good but there is a risk of a dud though.

Daniher may never get back to his best but we know what he is capable of if fit. Probably alot better than what pick 4 can offer realistically but for less time.

Id back in Daniher personally but I dont have all the information the club has but I would hope they only trade him if they strongly believe he wont be the player he was or Syndey pay overs which they wont as they can get him for free next year.

Refuse to trade him if he asks for it?

He’ll just leave next year for nothing. FA Compensation is always s**t.

It’s the reality... if a player wants to go, they go. We get the best trade we can.

Personally I can’t see Sydney offering him a big contract. They’ll be softening him up for next year when they’re more sure where his body is at. At least, that’s what I’d be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back