Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you Tom Browne? :p
Nah mate just an essendon supporter who read everyone's else's comments then decided to add how I perceived the situation. Happy to be told I'm wrong but still think it's a possibility he's finding a pretty s**t situation difficult and if it's so ill support him moving because he's a good bloke. Given the context of my point I certainly wasn't clicking like on the uncle comment either ☺️

I'm starting to lean this way as well, after a tough few years.

Xavier Campbell said on SEN this morning the Joe to the Swans link would be news to him.

Sounds like a chess game going on with the club and Joe’s manager. Highly public visit to Sydney, now Xavier’s comments.

Nah mate just an essendon supporter who read everyone's else's comments then decided to add how I perceived the situation. Happy to be told I'm wrong but still think it's a possibility he's finding a pretty s**t situation difficult and if it's so ill support him moving because he's a good bloke. Given the context of my point I certainly wasn't clicking like on the uncle comment either ☺
It’s all good mate. I understand completely

This
McGrath is in his 3rd year and people already want to trade him.
And what's the reason? Context is important.

The only reason people suggested McGrath (me included) is as a solution to what is an unbalanced midfield that will never amount to anything because of its inability to consistently impact on the inside. No one is saying he is a spud. Far from it. But our stoppage work is embarrassing for a supposed top 8 side because of our undersized midfield. Hence, trading an undersized mid with currency to address a need is one of many solutions.

Is there any chance the whole Sydney thing is just a case of the media putting 2 and 2 together and getting 3?

I mean Sydney haven't came out and said they are pursuing him, the only evidence anyone has to go off is this "lunch" with Tom Harley. I think it's becoming increasingly likely that Joe is considering giving the game away all together.

Reading Zach's comments again he said "I think he's made it pretty clear that he's going to have a bit of time away and decide what he wants to do with his footy going forward". He is part owner in what looks to be a successful brewing company in Melbourne, would he really want to move away to Sydney? Maybe he has lost the passion altogether? I don't know but I'm starting to prepare myself for heart break.

Is there any chance the whole Sydney thing is just a case of the media putting 2 and 2 together and getting 3?

I mean Sydney haven't came out and said they are pursuing him, the only evidence anyone has to go off is this "lunch" with Tom Harley. I think it's becoming increasingly likely that Joe is considering giving the game away all together.

Reading Zach's comments again he said "I think he's made it pretty clear that he's going to have a bit of time away and decide what he wants to do with his footy going forward". He is part owner in what looks to be a successful brewing company in Melbourne, would he really want to move away to Sydney? Maybe he has lost the passion altogether? I don't know but I'm starting to prepare myself for heart break.

One can only hope that the brewery fresh beer will keep him at Tullamarine. ;)

I think it's becoming increasingly likely that Joe is considering giving the game away all together.

This has gone through my mind. Xavier Campbell's words were interesting.

IMO I think it’s joe and his manager trying to push Essendon to get a big extension by playing it out in the media.

Whether or not joe knows his body is not right is the secondary thing.

I get the feeling that if joe knew his body was ok he would just tear the s**t out of 2020 and then get his big money rather than doing all this now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing most seem to have missed is there is no talk of us having an offer of a contract extension. If we where 100% on him coming good and I suspect we would have already had an offer in but it seems it has been parked. Possible reason is the club are not prepared to offer him a new 3 year deal on big wedge until they see him out on the ground and playing like the old Joe for more than a couple of weeks.

The one thing I do know is he will have to be on a modified program from now on even though he has had the operation. I am wondering just how well the rehab is going. There has been updates that the operation went well but not a lot of real news or time frame on when he will be up and running.

One thing most seem to have missed is there is no talk of us having an offer of a contract extension. If we where 100% on him coming good and I suspect we would have already had an offer in but it seems it has been parked. Possible reason is the club are not prepared to offer him a new 3 year deal on big wedge until they see him out on the ground and playing like the old Joe for more than a couple of weeks.

The one thing I do know is he will have to be on a modified program from now on even though he has had the operation. I am wondering just how well the rehab is going. There has been updates that the operation went well but not a lot of real news or time frame on when he will be up and running.
If we dont offer an extension then no way will he be staying and I wouldn't blame him. But the only reason i can think of for not offering him one would be that his body really is stuffed.

I think waiting is the right move on the extension. He hasn't played for most of two years, and we can't be sure about his recovery until he plays some games next year. Seems like a lot of smoke from his manager, but we should be in no hurry.

I think Merrett’s comments had a different meaning to the spin the media has done i.e Joey wanting a trade to Sydney.

I think Merrett and Campbell’s comments could indicate Joey is thinking about football in general - if he wants to continue etc.

That lines up more with what’s Joey has said recently (about playing for EFC next year and it would only change if EFC didn’t want him).

Would be awful but perhaps Joey is actually considering retirement? Any recent word on his rehab?

I don’t know how reliable it is but Sam McClure mentioned last week that we had an offer on the table. Haven’t heard it from anyone else.

There was a brief mention in an article about a week after the Tom Harley thing first came out. Something about us having talks with Daniher's management or something like that. The fact that.

The club didn't exactly give him a good money deal out of the goodness of their heart, as some charity case, they gave it because of what he projected to give, they assume the risk of injury, it happens. The idea that he owes them anything to stay is absurd. I hope he does, as far as I'm concerned his talent level is almost irreplaceable. But the idea that because he's been injured he should feel bad and stay out of guilt is ridiculous.

Jesus Joe, just under 2 mill for 2 years of diddly squat, I'd be staying son and keeping my ******* head down.

Hopefully you guys don't mind me posting here but I think this is an attitude that is slowly dying. Players realise that clubs will show no loyalty at all towards them if something happens to them, or a club feels like they will benefit from getting rid of a player, and as a result players are realising they have no obligation to show loyalty to a club. For instance, if Gold Coast offered Essendon picks 1 and 2 for Daniher, Essendon would practically pack Daniher's bags for him, so with that in mind, why should the player show loyalty.

It isn't just Essendon of course, but clubs will get rid of a player in a second if they feel like getting rid of that player will benefit them, and I think players are slowly starting to realise that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back