AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I'm satisfied that we know Ham's ceiling. He's a VFL player unless there's a pressing need due to injury or suspension.

I thinks he’s shown a bit at times with his speed on the wing. But a player like him will always look bad in a game like yesterday. We got smashed at the source and couldn’t get any linkup going, so he’s pretty much just chasing arse all day.

I thinks he’s shown a bit at times with his speed on the wing. But a player like him will always look bad in a game like yesterday. We got smashed at the source and couldn’t get any linkup going, so he’s pretty much just chasing arse all day.
I'm not convinced he has the skill or composure to capitalise on his speed. He finds himself in good spots because he has the pace to get there or to receive, but he just can't finish. Maybe Leroy Jetta is a good comparison in those terms. He was frustrating too.

I'm not convinced he has the skill or composure to capitalise on his speed. He finds himself in good spots because he has the pace to get there or to receive, but he just can't finish. Maybe Leroy Jetta is a good comparison in those terms. He was frustrating too.
Jetta was not as fast as Ham is. He was more elusive and had better game nous, but he didn't have the running ability Ham does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

24 touches, a goal, 4 tackles and 7 clearances. I’m bringing him in on the back of that.
Also kicked it straight to the opposition several times. Was our second best overall but there are still some rough edges.

Yeah, most definitely. Some really simple ones too missed. Should get a few weeks and see how he adjusts.
He is close. I would not be unhappy to see him in sooner than later. Liked how he kept working into space as well as his inside stuff.

Yeah, most definitely. Some really simple ones too missed. Should get a few weeks and see how he adjusts.
Accuracy is tough at Casey wind tunnel

Only question mark is his kicking imo.
I think that is probably why he was a bit of a slider draft night.

I'm hoping he irons that out. Or he simply plays to his strengths and becomes an Ollie Wines type, who leaves the outside work to the better users in the side.

The kids 18, our midfield depth is currently sound enough that he likely doesn't need to play a pivotal role for us for the next 3+ years although I expect him to be too good to ignore within that time. He's got more than enough time to iron out any kinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back