Remove this Banner Ad

far canal

Debutant
Feb 23, 2006
wallan
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gday lads
I would like to start up another discussion on the hardmen of the rdfl during the above period. Growing up in this time i got to see most of these players and witness some memorable and not so memorable incidents that would just about get life in football if it had happened nowadays. I have also heard some great stories and no doubt these stories have became bigger and bigger each year. If any of you out there remember any great mongrel stories out there please share and please add anyone i have missed. some are nicknames as i have forgotten there names.
This is my team (the dirty 2 dozen)

Backs greg cannard (gis) mark federuk (rid,sun) mark pedderson (wal,sun rov)

h/backs jason tarczon(rid) pixi olgiers? (mel sth) Barry Archibold? (bford)

centers dean lupson (sun) arthur cann (craig) brendan dalgleish (kil)

h/fwds adrian bajric (darl,mel) todd johnson (jac) steve gallop (mel sth)

fwds Dave barnes (darl) jim edmonds (gis) cujo martin (craig)

rucks wade olywini (wal) kamel sidki (wal) Darren tarczon (sun)

i/change Peter palmer (mac,gis,melt sth) ted casson (sun) peter hewitt (melt) steve langborne (wal) mat barnes (darl) brian hall (craig)

Gday lads
I would like to start up another discussion on the hardmen of the rdfl during the above period. Growing up in this time i got to see most of these players and witness some memorable and not so memorable incidents that would just about get life in football if it had happened nowadays. I have also heard some great stories and no doubt these stories have became bigger and bigger each year. If any of you out there remember any great mongrel stories out there please share and please add anyone i have missed. some are nicknames as i have forgotten there names.

i/change Peter palmer (mac,gis,melt sth) ted casson (sun) peter hewitt (melt) steve langborne (wal) mat barnes (darl) brian hall (craig)
2 more Back flankers that come to mind are Dave Sherman (gisb) and Steve Wilson (romsey). Played with both gents, and they were great to have beside you.

2 more Back flankers that come to mind are Dave Sherman (gisb) and Steve Wilson (romsey). Played with both gents, and they were great to have beside you.
What about Darryl Brinkhuis?

You have done your homework Farcanal, i will never forget the time Camel Sidki, but when out with the girls (Kamahl) smashed through the partition in the rooms at Crazyburn to finish what started out on the ground! He also did the same at Melton South, never seen blokes scatter out of the rooms so quickly in my life! He got 10 years for putting an umpire in a rubbish bin in another league! Was a feared man in every league he played in, only glad i was always on the same side! One day in time on against The Blood's Camel was laying on the ball in their goal square, the umpire blew the whistle to pay a free kick for holding the ball, Camel jumped up and and eye balled the poor fella in white and he didnt have the guts to give the free, so he bounced it and the siren blew and we won the game by a point! When the umpy would pay a free against him he would say"' YOUR TRYING MY PATIENTS UMPIRE'' I was responsible for getting him to Wallan as they were a very young side and i needed some back up! I think he still has a piece of big hugh Carey's ear between his teeth! He was a legend in the RDFL!

You have done your homework Farcanal, i will never forget the time Camel Sidki, but when out with the girls (Kamahl) smashed through the partition in the rooms at Crazyburn to finish what started out on the ground! He also did the same at Melton South, never seen blokes scatter out of the rooms so quickly in my life! He got 10 years for putting an umpire in a rubbish bin in another league! Was a feared man in every league he played in, only glad i was always on the same side! One day in time on against The Blood's Camel was laying on the ball in their goal square, the umpire blew the whistle to pay a free kick for holding the ball, Camel jumped up and and eye balled the poor fella in white and he didnt have the guts to give the free, so he bounced it and the siren blew and we won the game by a point! When the umpy would pay a free against him he would say"' YOUR TRYING MY PATIENTS UMPIRE'' I was responsible for getting him to Wallan as they were a very young side and i needed some back up! I think he still has a piece of big hugh Carey's ear between his teeth! He was a legend in the RDFL!
I think you mean Tim Archibald, good bloke but mad! see my old sparing partner Ted Casson made the side! He should be umpiring the seniors, does a great job umpiring the Two's, wont report anyone, gets off on it really!

Gday lads

Thank goodness most of these guys are retired. I wouldnt imagine many of these guys would play too many games in the modern era. Collectively how many years suspension in total would these guys have accumulated???

A couple of hard guys i remember that havent been mentioned yet, were the Albon brothers from crazyburn, and i remember receiving a few stray elbows from former woodend ruckman CHEEP i think his surname was??

Yeah i agree with slyone here, Darryl Brinkhuis would be a certain starter in this team

I played against Mark Cheep when he was at Macedon and also copped his pointy elbow behind the ears.
My nomination for this team would be Shane Rhodes from Lancefield and Riddell in the late 80's and early 90's.

A few names to add to the list.

Peter (concrete) Brown (craig)
Rod Draper (kil,melt)
Hughy Carey (melt)
Mick Hewitt (darl)

Is this the SAME Camel that played with you at Paco" mate ? If so I always thought HE did his best "WORK" from BEHIND !!!........ Still got the lumps to prove it too. :mad:

I think you mean Tim Archibald, good bloke but mad! see my old sparing partner Ted Casson made the side! He should be umpiring the seniors, does a great job umpiring the Two's, wont report anyone, gets off on it really!

Played with BOTH these two blokes mate. Top blokes & dont you worry about that, they could both play a bit too ! But when it came to the physical stuff I was damn glad they were on MY side. :thumbsu:

P.S. - Never saw either of these 2 blokes KING HIT anyone ever...... They didn't have too ! They did their best "WORK" toe to toe !

Played with BOTH these two blokes mate. Top blokes & dont you worry about that, they could both play a bit too ! But when it came to the physical stuff I was damn glad they were on MY side. :thumbsu:

P.S. - Never saw either of these 2 blokes KING HIT anyone ever...... They didn't have too ! They did their best "WORK" toe to toe !

Your right there mate the same one from Pacco but didnt have to come from behind, not saying he never did but up to the toe to toe stuff, didnt see too many of your mates at West Coburg to eiger to take him on. Freddy was tough, his son doing well at Freo. Timmy was a great player tough as nails.

Gday lads

I think this bloke you are referring to is Timmy Archibald (Keilor, Macedon, Riddell, Diggers, Broadford, & Kilmore)

I think this bloke you are referring to is Timmy Archibald (Keilor, Macedon, Riddell, Diggers, Broadford, & Kilmore)

So what we see now with blokes happy to club hop and play against former team mates was in vogue back then too ;) I remember my dad talking of blokes like Archibald and few others that came out to Broadford during our first stint in the RDFL.

Thats what this team is about knackers! We are talking about what you got away with back then compared to now! Greg (Ducky) Cannard is a great bloke may have done what you claimed but he aint on hear to defend himself, if you still have a problem with him after 20 odd years i will put you in touch with him and you can tell him to his face! This isnt a forum to pot blokes, it's about telling a few stories that bring back memories for the right reasons, a bit of fun! Every bloke that has been mentioned in this team has done something to someone and there are more mongrels to come. Moomba Park had plenty of Mongrels playing for them but i'm not going to pot any of them, i just belted them!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your right there mate the same one from Pacco but didnt have to come from behind, not saying he never did but up to the toe to toe stuff, didnt see too many of your mates at West Coburg to eiger to take him on. Freddy was tough, his son doing well at Freo. Timmy was a great player tough as nails.
definetly one tough bloke!!

i think they went out looking for a fight half the time. and just getting a kick was a bonus haah:thumbsu:
It's a running game today, back then it was man on man and the battle of the toughest, more contested footy and very physical, when a player cops a good hip & shoulder these days, he cant handle it, back in the day you respected your oponent for giving you a decent hip & shoulder! You over your injuries?

It's a running game today, back then it was man on man and the battle of the toughest, more contested footy and very physical, when a player cops a good hip & shoulder these days, he cant handle it, back in the day you respected your oponent for giving you a decent hip & shoulder! You over your injuries?
i can usually handle bumps. but no i think ill have this shoulder injury for the rest of the year

Fairdinkum if it rained fannies i would be hit by an a-hole!

hahahahahahahahahahaha, I told the old man that today and he disagrees with it but did get a laugh. Im heading down for the big blockbuster after our game at Box Hill in the morning was gonna say you owe me a beer for getting you on to backing a winner but it didnt:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back