Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The full list of nominees: http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Oscar voters showered the neo-musical “La La Land” with 14 nominations on Tuesday, a tie with “Titanic” and “All About Eve” for the most in Academy Award history. But the academy also moved past two #OscarsSoWhite years by honoring six black actors — a record — and including diverse films like “Moonlight,” “Fences” and “Hidden Figures” in the best picture race.

“It makes me feel good to see such a multifaceted group of people get recognized,” said Barry Jenkins, the director of “Moonlight,” which received eight nominations. Speaking by phone from Amsterdam, where he was promoting the film, he added, “It’s an affirmation that film has the power to erode barriers and reveal what makes us all human.”

Nine movies, most of them cobbled together outside the studio system, will compete for Hollywood’s top prize. Filling out the best picture race are “Arrival,” a science-fiction thriller; the cops-and-robbers drama “Hell or High Water”; “Manchester by the Sea,” about a mournful New England handyman; the subtitled tear-jerker “Lion”; and “Hacksaw Ridge,” Mel Gibson’s true story of World War II heroism.

In a surprise, Mr. Gibson also drew a nomination as best director, officially ending his 10-year status as a Hollywood pariah for his offscreen behavior. Joining him in the directing field were Damien Chazelle (“La La Land”), Denis Villeneuve (“Arrival”), Mr. Jenkins (“Moonlight”) and Kenneth Lonergan (“Manchester by the Sea”).

Perhaps the biggest upset happened in the best actress category. “Arrival” emerged as one of the most honored films, with support in eight categories, but its star, Amy Adams, failed to receive a nod for best actress. Even worse, a website managed by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and ABC, which broadcasts the Oscars, initially listed her as a nominee. ABC took the blame, citing a rush to post names. “We apologize to the academy, press and fans for any confusion,” the network said in a statement. ABC also mistakenly named Tom Hanks as a best actor candidate for “Sully.”

In excluding Ms. Adams, whose performance has been honored by numerous other awards groups, academy voters backed Isabelle Huppert from the French film “Elle,” Emma Stone from “La La Land,” Natalie Portman from “Jackie,” Meryl Streep from “Florence Foster Jenkins” and the newcomer Ruth Negga from “Loving.” It was Ms. Streep’s 20th career nomination; her speech about Donald J. Trump at the Golden Globes probably won her some votes. (She reacted to her inclusion by releasing a happy dance GIF.)

Several other legends were snubbed. Voters refused to throw Martin Scorsese’s box-office bomb “Silence” a lifeline, offering a lone nod for cinematography. And Clint Eastwood’s “Sully” had to make do with one nomination, for sound editing. Once again, the academy stubbornly refused to bow toward popular movies; the hard-campaigning “Deadpool” received nothing, even in work-a-day categories.

As expected — and despite renewed attention on sexual-harassment lawsuits that he settled in 2010 — Casey Affleck, the star of “Manchester by the Sea,” continued his march toward the Oscar podium. He will vie for best actor alongside Denzel Washington (“Fences”), Andrew Garfield (“Hacksaw Ridge”), Ryan Gosling (“La La Land”) and Viggo Mortensen (“Captain Fantastic”).

In a sharp contrast to the previous two years, when the academy put forward all-white rosters of acting nominees, voters chose the largest number of black candidates ever. Mahershala Ali and Naomie Harris each received a nod for their supporting work in “Moonlight,” a poetic drama about a young black man in Miami. Viola Davis (“Fences”) and Octavia Spencer (“Hidden Figures”) were also nominated for supporting actress. Joining Ms. Negga in the lead categories was Mr. Washington of “Fences,” an adaptation of August Wilson’s classic play about black life in 1950s Pittsburgh.

Another minority actor, Dev Patel, was nominated for his supporting role in “Lion,” which received six nominations in total, tying “Manchester by the Sea” and “Hacksaw Ridge.” And four of the five honored documentaries came from black filmmakers, including “13th,” Ava DuVernay’s searing look at race and mass incarceration in America, and “I Am Not Your Negro,” directed by Raoul Peck, a portrait of the writer James Baldwin and the civil-rights era. (The others in that race are “Fire at Sea,” “Life, Animated” and the seven-hour “O. J.: Made in America,” which paves the way for TV documentaries given limited theatrical release to be nominees.)

Pundits will inevitably declare that the academy listened to the #OscarsSoWhite protests that found the Rev. Al Sharpton berating Hollywood in a preceremony rally last year. The academy made drastic membership changes in 2016, revoking the voting privileges of long-nonworking members and inviting more women and minorities to join. (The 7,000-member group remains overwhelmingly white and male, however.)

Public pressure may have been a factor in the outcome on Tuesday, but the results almost assuredly have more to do with the vagaries of moviemaking: a full slate of high-quality movies with diverse casts that coalesced in the past year.

Still, race continues to be a hot-button topic around the Oscars. Last week, one academy voter, Santiago Pozo, voiced brewing discontent among Latinos, writing in the trade publication Deadline.com that underrepresentation of other minorities in Hollywood — not just black actors — is “a terminal illness for our business and for the relevance of the Academy Awards.” The Los Angeles Times weighed in with a similar editorial on Tuesday, noting that there were almost no Hispanic nominees.

One exception: Lin-Manuel Miranda received a nod for his original “Moana” song “How Far I’ll Go,” putting him one step closer to the rarefied club known as EGOT: those who have won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony. (Mr. Miranda, a first-time Oscar nominee, already has an Emmy, two Grammys and three Tonys.)

Among companies, Amazon was a big winner on Tuesday, beating Netflix to become the first streaming service to earn an Academy Award nomination for best picture. Amazon bought “Manchester by the Sea” at last year’s Sundance Film Festival. With 26, Lionsgate received the most nominations of any studio; its contenders include “La La Land” and “Hell or High Water,” a partnership with CBS Films.

The Oscars will be broadcast on Feb. 26. Jimmy Kimmel, who anchors ABC’s late-night programming block, will host.

The academy entrusted its previous ceremony to the producers Reginald Hudlin and David Hill, who brought in Chris Rock to scold Hollywood on diversity and created a cable-news-style scrawl in an ill-advised attempt to make acceptance speeches more interesting. Ratings dropped, and ABC, which charges more than $2 million for a 30-second commercial, moved to take a firmer hand in this year’s telecast.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/movies/oscar-nominations-2017.html

Last edited:
Have seen Arrival and Hell or High Water. Hell or High Water was better.

Was released on blu-ray months ago so if you don't want to pay to see it...

Last edited:

Arrival I enjoyed too but I'm surprised it's nominated for Best Picture.

Way too sci-fi to actually win it.

La La Land will probably win because the history of them picking the best movie (in this case, Moonlight) is always slimmer. There's always a chance they split votes and Manchester by the Sea gets it though, which I think would be the best (not because I like, it's the only nominee I haven't seen) but because everyone wants to argue like it's a two-horse race, it'd be refreshing to see something else win.

Also, Meryl Streep is fine but how do you snub Amy Adams??

Yeah, rough on Amy Adams. Given she's had as many nominations as DiCaprio but hasn't ever won you'd think all the people who were carrying on about giving it to Leo already would jump on that. Not to be.

Glad Mica Levi was nominated for Best Score for Jackie, I thought that was a standout. Good to see The Lobster's screenplay made it in. A shame Nocturnal Animals was mostly shut out, though glad Michael Shannon got one thrown his way.

Moonlight is the best picture out of those ive seen but I think La La Land will win, as I said elsewhere Hollywood loves itself.

Pretty average field this year, no classics among them. But then again its been like that for a long time.

Cant believe the nephew character from Manchester by the Sea got nominated for best supporting. He was woeful.

Last edited:
One of the most highly predictable in years, I actually got every major category correct (including ones like foreign film). An airy year low on classics. Still, with Hacksaw, Lion and Tanna all getting Film nominations, that's practically unheard of (and only 12 months after Fury Road). Gotta be proud about that.

Should Ben Foster have received the best supporting actor nomination?
Yep he was dynamic in that film same goes for Aaron Taylor-Johnson in Nocturnal Animals

A film not nominated or mentioned which I thought reached a high of acting performance I haven't seen since The Master was Indignation. Like the Master not an all time great film but featured some great acting and scenes.
I plan to get around and see Fences, Manchester by the Sea and Moonlight in the coming weeks.
The female nominations seem strong. Hopefully Isabella Huppert gets her due. A great actor. Don't think anything could top her performance from The Piano Teacher but she came close in Elle.
Best movie is still Hell or High Water for me. Enjoyed it immensely. Loved the performances, direction, subtext and just for the fact it was a great watch in the cinema. Safe to say i'm very much looking forward to Wind River.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

La La Land felt like a chick flick.

Be interesting to see how Hacksaw Ridge goes given...

landscape-1484049495-screen-shot-2017-01-10-at-115103-am.jpg

Be interesting to see how Hacksaw Ridge goes given...

It's close to a lock for sound editing. Might sneak in in for sound mixing too.

The Oscars will be Good and Distract From These Terrible Times
A Point/Counterpoint
by Dahlia Grossman-Heinze
Published on January 26, 2017 at 2:29pm

There’s no denying that we are living in terrible times, and in terrible times, art can heal: The best films remind us of our humanity and the power of telling our stories. Many of us turn to awards shows for the spectacle and fluffy entertainment, but this year’s Academy Awards have the potential to be historic and make a profound statement about the value of films created by people of color. (Unless La La Land wins every award it’s nominated for.) We’ve collected a series of points and counterpoints to explore further—and we’ll be tweeting live during the Oscar ceremony in February, so stay tuned and join us then!

Point: This year is historic for Black filmmakers! This is the first year a Black actor has been nominated in all four acting categories: Denzel Washington for Best Actor in Fences; Ruth Negga for Best Actress in Loving; Mahershala Ali for Best Supporting Actor in Moonlight; Octavia Spencer for Best Supporting Actress in Hidden Figures; Viola Davis for Best Supporting Actress in Fences; and Naomie Harris for Best Supporting Actress in Moonlight (three Black women for Supporting Actress!). Joi McMillon is the first Black woman to be nominated for editing for her gorgeous work in Moonlight. Barry Jenkins, the director of Moonlight, is the first Black filmmaker to be nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay (fingers crossed because he deserves all three).

Counterpoint: Jimmy Kimmel is hosting. This year's acting nominees are the most diverse in Oscar history and we’re stuck with Jimmy Kimmel? I can think of at least one million hosts who would be better (Chris Rock, Wanda Sykes, Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele, Samantha Bee, Leslie Jones, Issa Rae, and Tracee Ellis Ross and Anthony Anderson, just for starters).

Point: This year’s Academy class is the most diverse in history. The 683 members of the Academy are 46 percent women and 41 percent people of color. In 2016, it was 25 percent women and 8 percent people of color. This change was in large part due to the immense impact of last year’s #OscarsSoWhite.

Counterpoint: A man with a history of sexual harassment has been nominated for Best Actor. In 2010, two women who worked with Casey Affleck sued him for sexual harassment. In a complaint, a cinematographer said that Affleck got into bed with her while she was sleeping and when she woke up, “he had his arm around her, was caressing her back, his face was within inches of hers, and his breath reeked of alcohol.” Affleck settled both lawsuits out of court. He’s nominated for his performance in Manchester by the Sea, and so far, Constance Wu seems to be the only one talking about him and the grand tradition of awards shows honoring men with a history of violence against women (cough Roman Polanski, Sean Penn, Woody Allen, and Mel Gibson, who is nominated for Best Director this year).

Point: Three films about Black history are nominated for Best Documentary. I Am Not Your Negro, which is based on a James Baldwin manuscript, studies the civil rights movement through the eyes of the incredible writer; O.J.: Made in America follows O.J. Simpson from college football through his trial to his conviction for armed robbery and kidnapping; and 13th, directed by Ava DuVernay, deftly explains the path from the 13th Amendment to mass incarceration in the United States. All three are terrific.

Counterpoint: La La Land has too many nominations and could win all of them. I shouldn’t be surprised that a white-savior narrative about saving jazz of all things has swept the Oscar nominations. It’s now tied with Titanic and All About Eve for most nominations for a single film (14). It won a record seven Golden Globes, so it’s very possible it’ll get all the Oscars, too. The New York Times explains La La Land’s relationship to jazz pretty perfectly: Jazz is “not much more than a stand-in for white male self-flagellation, a proxy for how white men come to understand themselves.” And enough with the racial erasure. You know who’s actually saving jazz? Black musicians.

Point: Hidden Figures or Moonlight could win Best Picture. Have you seen these two extraordinary films? Do it now. Moonlight is an exquisite and deeply human film. Hidden Figures is Black Girl Magic. Both tell stories that need to be told. Movies that perform well at the Oscars are generally seen by more people—a win would be a clear message to studios that they need to keep investing in similar films.

Counterpoint: Who are we kidding, La La Land will probably win them all. Just because the nominees are diverse doesn’t mean the awards will be. I’ve got my eyes on you, Oscar voters! Do us proud!

https://bitchmedia.org/article/osca...stract-these-terrible-times/pointcounterpoint

Call me naive given how political this circus is nowadays, but wouldn't it be great if they just voted for the most worthy nominations regardless of skin colour?

That article is littered with errors (the Academy's new members for 2016 are 41% people of colour and 46% women, that's not its membership entirely. It did not jump from 25% to 46% and 8% to 41% in a year. For starters).

I always felt the #OscarsSoWhite thing was misguided because the fault didn't really rely on the Academy but with the industry. The overwhelming majority of American films have straight white male protagonists, and the Oscars only reflect this. I would suspect if we removed the Actress categories (why have them, anyway, given male and female performers are doing the same thing and it's not like sport where women are biologically not of the same standard as men) that we would see most acting nominations being for males, with the token Meryl Streep nomination. This year was likely an anomaly and the outrage will return in 12 months time.

La La Land was a good film, albeit probably not the best of the nominees. I think the last time my pick of the nominees actually won Best Picture was when The Departed, No Country for Old Men and Slumdog Millionaire won back to back to back.

The nominations and awards are always political, from people winning make up awards after previous snubs (Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman stands out) to basically how charming individuals are in the campaign leading up to the ceremony.

Last edited:
I would suspect if we removed the Actress categories (why have them, anyway, given male and female performers are doing the same thing and it's not like sport where women are biologically not of the same standard as men) that we would see most acting nominations being for males, with the token Meryl Streep nomination.

Not if the last two years are any indication, Best Actor has been incredibly weak.

I suspect if they combined Actor and Actress they would still keep at 10 nominees overall and I don't think the balance would tip one way or the other very much. If they did that this year Amy Adams for sure would have been nominated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back