Toast A celebration of the greatest

Remove this Banner Ad

Spent the last hour or so reviewing some games from the 99, 00 and 01 seasons.

Some of the things I saw during those years I think maybe I forgot due to dissenting views. Let's face it, anyone that doesn't support Essendon will seize on anything they can to dilute or reduce the levels achieved.

The Bombers, particularly in 2000 and in glimpses of 2001 were simply remarkable, the finest football team I have ever seen.

From a statistical point of view, it cannot be argued that the 2000 premiership side is the finest that ever existed. I think the existence of the Brisbane Lions with their AFL backed superlist, and even more so, Geelong and their existing team have led some to question who truly has been the greatest.

Prior to this team, the run and carry game from half back simply did not exist. The very tool most teams now look to for victory was created by Kevin Sheedy and his assistants during this era, and all other teams since have either had to rely on it or counter it for victory.

Matthew Lloyd was a remarkable footballer. His leading was as well timed and executed as any forward that has played the game, and what's more, he had to do it post an era that allowed forwards to stand alone against single defenders. Once the ball was in his hands, he was as accurate a key forward you will see, putting some of the current batch to shame.

Dustin Fletcher is, IS the finest defender seen for the last 15 years at least, and maybe the greatest ever. Silvagni was a great, stopped goals, but did not rebound anywhere near as effectively. And Scarlett, does not deserve to be mentioned with either. Tell me he has been able to as effectively nullify forwards, and defend space, and rebound as well as Fletcher. And sadly, he remains the only talisman we have left from a bygone era, and his final year should be celebrated as highly as any Essendon champion to have come before him.

James Hird, simply put, is the greatest footballer the game has ever seen. No claimant put forward, not Carey, not Matthews, not Skilton, not anyone can approach his instinctual, almost superhuman awareness of what was around him. He was a leader that commanded the utmost respect, and when the Bombers reached the highest peak football has seen, it was he that stood greatest. You have all seen him do things others have not, and sadly, you may not see that level again. Ali said he was the greatest, Hird was too modest to do so.

For Bombers fans, remember this:

- Essendon are the first premiers
- No team has won more premierships
- No team has dominated like we have

We may never see such heights again, but at least I know my team has done things no other has.

Go Bombers.

Great post. Got me emotional. Hird, Lloyd, Fletcher. It's so easy to underestimate greatness when it's so close to you. Twenty years from now we'll be able to tell young'ns we saw players who were truly Great when the modern era was being born.

Put simply. no team in memory was able to dominate the AFL the way the 2000 Bombers did. People forget just how awesome the Bombers 2000 side was. Blowing teams out of the water by qrt time, effectively ending the game by then. Only 12 points (R21 game V's the Dogs ) seperated us from a perfect season. This was a feat that the 95 Blues, Lions of 01,02,03 or the Cats of 07 or 09 could not acheive. Essendon 2000 for season 2000 was probably the best side of the last 50 years. NO arguments can be mounted against this. They were that good.

Great post, yeah, what a season. Pure Dominance. Your spot on about the run off half back...Solly, Fletch, Wellman and Mark Johnson were all fantastic defenders but were great at getting the ball moving forward quickly. I remember Solly kicking a goal from 50m on the run in the last quarter of the Prelim against carlton...one of the many times it happened, but this one stands out for me.

Can't wait for the next flag.

Great post, yeah, what a season. Pure Dominance. Your spot on about the run off half back...Solly, Fletch, Wellman and Mark Johnson were all fantastic defenders but were great at getting the ball moving forward quickly. I remember Solly kicking a goal from 50m on the run in the last quarter of the Prelim against carlton...one of the many times it happened, but this one stands out for me.

Can't wait for the next flag.

With the state of our list atm i'm excited aswell

In my time watching Essendon there has been two times where you just knew they were going to win or go close every week. The 83/84/85 period and the 99/00/01 period. Just unbelievable times to be a supporter.
The first period was probably more satisfying because when I first started going we were an absolute joke and to witness the club transform from one everyone laughed at to one that was hated/feared was brilliant.
The one we pinched in `93 off you know who rivals 1984 for my favourite all time memory, that was so good that day it hurt.

In my time watching Essendon there has been two times where you just knew they were going to win or go close every week. The 83/84/85 period and the 99/00/01 period. Just unbelievable times to be a supporter.
The first period was probably more satisfying because when I first started going we were an absolute joke and to witness the club transform from one everyone laughed at to one that was hated/feared was brilliant.
The one we pinched in `93 off you know who rivals 1984 for my favourite all time memory, that was so good that day it hurt.

The 2000 premiership for me. After watching it fall to rubble in 1999, to come out and dominate the league to an extent that had not been seen before, nor since, was unbelievable. Their was just such a feeling that it was inevitable.

was a great side to watch & i remember feeling very very spoiled on occasions, & not forgetting one k sheedy, regardless of what many think now, it wouldnt have happened without him

but for pure football delight its hard to go past '93, how i survived in 1 piece still has me stumped;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back