A Dice Game we made up. (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

My son and I have been playing a dice game he invented based on me teaching him how combat works in some of the games I build and paint stuff for but never play. I didn't think he'd do anything with it but he spends some time most days playing it or inventing new additions.

There’s even a Minecraft map of a space battle- with Borg cube and everything.

I think the current name he has given it is Dice Dimensions - it even has a logo.

The game:

Two players - but I suppose you could have more.

Each player has a dice that represents their space ship. Use a d10 or d12. Put the dice with the amount of health of your ship face up. As you get damaged, you'll change the die facing to show how many hit points you have left.

Roll off to see who goes first.

On your turn, you shoot by rolling three d6 - 1 for each of your ship's guns. Each score of 5 or 6 is a hit on your opponent's ship.

Your opponent rolls a d6 for each hit. Each score of 5 or 6 nullifies a hit. Their armour stops the damage. The remaining hits are taken off the defender's ship as damage.

Standard stuff. I explained to my son that you're expected to make x hits per turn, and block x of those hits giving you an expected damage per attack. I think off the top of my head it's 1 hit per volley, 2/3 points of damage after armour roll.

The first person to reduce their opponent to 0 points wins.

Then we added a rule: When you are reduced to 0, you get one more volley off. Because it might be exciting to beat someone by a point or two then have the win snatched away.

I did this to sort of show the idea of chance and %'s etc because he was looking at it on a maths work sheet. It grew from there.

Now off his own bat my son has added more ship types - he's up to about 12.

For example, one ship has 8 hit points, but it has 3 EMPs. Or 4. We debate this stuff during the game.

EMP: Instead of shooting, the attacker rolls a d6 for each of their opponent's guns. The opponent rolls the same number of dice. The attacker then lines up his dice with the defenders however he wants, but the aim is to beat the opponent's rolls. Defender wins ties.

For each win by the attacker, the defender loses one gun.

So a 4, 5, 6 roll might be lined up against rolls of 3, 5, 5 in such a way that the attacker's 6 beats one of the defender's 5's, the attacker's 4 beats the 3, and the two 5's tie. So the defender loses two guns in this example.

The defender on their turn still rolls for each gun, but rolls for any of their disabled guns are "repair dice". On a roll of 6, the gun is repaired and may shoot normally from the next turn onwards.

Healer: This ship has I think 10 hit points, and instead of shooting the player can roll 1D6 to get hit points back. I think it's 1 = 0, 2-4= 1, 5 = 2HP, 6 = 3HP. We change it on a whim. You can heal back up to a max of 7 HP, not your original 10HP. This one changes depending on how well it does in a game. Like just about all of the ship powers.

I didn't think anything of our game at first, but there are now pictures of ships, rough matrices of dice v dice and games every other evening to test out new ships. It can sometimes be tedious and we stop after one game, other times it's a tense race to kill the other ship and we change the rules as we go.

Fun fun fun!

Last edited:
My son and I have been playing a dice game he invented based on me teaching him how combat works in some of the games I build and paint stuff for but never play. I didn't think he'd do anything with it but he spends some time most days playing it or inventing new additions.

There’s even a Minecraft map of a space battle- with Borg cube and everything.

I think the current name he has given it is Dice Dimensions - it has a logo and everything.

The game:

Two players - but I suppose you could have more.

Each player has a dice that represents their space ship. Use a d10 or d12. Put the dice with the amount of health of your ship face up. As you get damaged, you'll change the die facing to show how many hit points you have left.

Roll off to see who goes first.

On your turn, you shoot by rolling three d6 - 1 for each of your ship's guns. Each score of 5 or 6 is a hit on your opponent's ship.

Your opponent rolls a d6 for each hit. Each score of 5 or 6 nullifies a hit. Their armour stops the damage. The remaining hits are taken off your ship as damage.

Standard stuff. I explained that you're expected to make x hits per turn, and block x of those hits giving you an expected damage per attack. I think off the top of my head it's 1 hit per volley, 2/3 points of damage after armour roll.

The first person to reduce their opponent to 0 points wins.

Then we added a rule: When you are reduced to 0, you get one more volley off. Because it might be exciting to beat someone by a point or two then have the win snatched away.

I did this to sort of show the idea of chance and %'s etc because he was looking at it on a maths work sheet. It grew from there.

Now off his own bat my son has added more ship types - he's up to about 12.

For example, one ship has 8 hit points, but it has 3 EMPs. Or 4. We debate this stuff during the game.

EMP: Instead of shooting, the attacker rolls a d6 for each of their opponent's guns. The opponent rolls the same number of dice. The attacker then lines up his dice with the defenders however he wants, but the aim is to beat the opponent's rolls. Defender wins ties.

For each win by the attacker, the defender loses one gun.

So a 4, 5, 6 roll might be lined up against rolls of 3, 5, 5 in such a way that the attacker's 6 beats one of the defender's 5's, the attacker's 4 beats the 3, and the two 5's tie. So the defender loses two guns in this example.

The defender on their turn still rolls for each gun, but rolls for any of their disabled guns are "repair dice". On a roll of 6, the gun is repaired and may shoot normally from the next turn onwards.

Healer: This ship has I think 10 hit points, and instead of shooting the player can roll 1D6 to get hit points back. I think it's 1 = 0, 2-4= 1, 5 = 2HP, 6 = 3HP. We change it on a whim. You can heal back up to a max of 7 HP, not your original 10HP. This one changes depending on how well it does in a game. Like just about all of the ship powers.

I didn't think anything of our game at first, but there are now pictures of ships, rough matrices of dice v dice and games every other evening to test out new ships. It can sometimes be tedious and we stop after one game, other times it's a tense race to kill the other ship and we change the rules as we go.

Fun fun fun!

Nice work. Game idea aside, this is the stuff the young lad will remember when he's older. Great way to spend time together.👍🏻

• Admin
Nice work. Game idea aside, this is the stuff the young lad will remember when he's older. Great way to spend time together.👍🏻
I’ll post the ships at some point but we seem to have moved on to programming Minecraft games.

• Admin
Fantastic. It's a really absorbing process and lots of fun!
The little rat flops around complaining when it’s time to do homework and today he brought home an award for some CSIRO computational thinking challenge. Best in school, in grade 4.

Time to sack some developers and bring it in house!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back