A friend just offered to bankroll me...

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, you're a magic the gathering wizard. Should do fine in poker then :D, seems like a ton of ppl have transferred from MTG to become good poker players. If you're prepared to give up profit in the short term to better set you up to be good in the long term then I think that's a fine route to go by.

Just know you'll have to deal with awesome convos like this all the time (it's surprisingly pretty accurate)

[YOUTUBE]KQHUcE9voWY[/YOUTUBE]

Feel free to send me a pm on here with any questions as I don't visit big footy often during the off season.

Thanks buddy, really appreciate it, sounds like you're a busy man.
I am in the same boat, I average 2k posts a season and I make about 20 posts in the off season lol!

Oh, you're a magic the gathering wizard. Should do fine in poker then :D, seems like a ton of ppl have transferred from MTG to become good poker players. If you're prepared to give up profit in the short term to better set you up to be good in the long term then I think that's a fine route to go by.

Just know you'll have to deal with awesome convos like this all the time (it's surprisingly pretty accurate)

[YOUTUBE]KQHUcE9voWY[/YOUTUBE]
HAHA! That's fantastic.
I am already getting those conversations with some of my family and friends.

Yeah, I heard the same thing about Magic Players. You see, I used to grind Magic Online for DAYS at a time just to get better at it, the only pay off was a raise in skill, so suddenly the idea of making $10 an hour for my worries seems AMAZING.
Do you know a couple of Magic players in the poker community, or are you talking about just in general they do well?

Cliffs

[x] No limit hold em games online above 100nl are simply not beatable unless you're a super genius
[x] It's impossible to earn 100k ( inc bonuses ) a year playing no limit hold em cash games online

Turned off playing poker full-time yet :p

Don't worry op, I disagree with all of these ( bar the last one which I am agree with in part ). Everyone is going to have opinions on what the best course of action is, I guess the only way to find out is to try for yourself.

You are drawing a very long bow.

SSNL being beatable and being beatable for a comfortable living coming from a skillbase of zero are two very different propositions.

If OP is getting staked by a knowledgable person who knows he knows nothing about poker I doubt he is going to be staked for anything above 25NL inititially. He might be playing 50NL in a couple of months. (Obviously when you're playing for a living shot-taking is going to be minimal so transitioning between level is going to take a while).

In the short term OP is not likely to be making anything close to 100k PA in the next 12 months. 50k would be very very unlikely too. That's why I was saying that I personally wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket like this.

OP has got 24months savings so I guess that negates some of the risk, but it's still sounds very risky to me.

GL though.

Thanks buddy, really appreciate it, sounds like you're a busy man.
I am in the same boat, I average 2k posts a season and I make about 20 posts in the off season lol!

I've worked around 16-18 hours a day for the last 6 months setting up my business but the rewards are there and income can still be made in this game for those that are willing to work hard and study there own game as hyperdonk has said.

In terms of cash play it seems silly to play on stars doesn't it? (note that I have zero understanding of cash games and refuse to stake cash players) when you could go and play on Ipoker and get 70-75% rakeback or ongame with 60-65% and have a softer game?

You are drawing a very long bow.

SSNL being beatable and being beatable for a comfortable living coming from a skillbase of zero are two very different propositions.

If OP is getting staked by a knowledgable person who knows he knows nothing about poker I doubt he is going to be staked for anything above 25NL inititially. He might be playing 50NL in a couple of months. (Obviously when you're playing for a living shot-taking is going to be minimal so transitioning between level is going to take a while).

In the short term OP is not likely to be making anything close to 100k PA in the next 12 months. 50k would be very very unlikely too. That's why I was saying that I personally wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket like this.

OP has got 24months savings so I guess that negates some of the risk, but it's still sounds very risky to me.

GL though.

Valid points.

The op said he said he isn't going to be doing this for 12 months though yeah? So that's plenty of time for him to grind out a few hundred thousand hands at 2nl, 5nl, 10nl, 25nl & 50nl to get down the basics. By the time he is staked, he will have 12 months ssnl experience under his belt, and probably already be platinum or supernova. He will def be ready to go at 100nl and over then, and might even be able to play with his own money that he has built up playing micros.

And if the op does struggle with online poker, there is nothing stopping him playing live, where the games are are about 100x softer than online. Anyone with basic poker skills can make a living playing 2/5 and 5/10. He could probably earn $35 to $40 per hour tax free playing 5/10 live nlhe. Put in 60 hours a week, that's $2400 a week. Enough for him and his backer to live off unless they have expensive habits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back