A-League Round 2 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the most clinical displays I've seen at A-League level, the first half from city was top notch. Attacking 3rd was brilliant but for me it was the midfield that was so dominant. Braatan is a beast of a player, honestly his performance wasn't far off Mooy's level. He probably doesn't have the goals in him like Mooy and slightly less dribbling ability (dribbling isn't really a big feature of both their games) but his passing + vision is just as good IMO. Off the ball is where City killed Victory, the closing down was top class. That's where IMO Mooy and Novillo were lacking last season- if one or 2 players don't do it, the press falls down. Kamau and Brendan both work so hard off the ball. Add to that their pace and ability to give an attacking outlet... class players. Colazo's left foot is a peach as well. Timmy's goal... freak. Fornaroli took the piss as well, for a midget his hold up play is unbelievable.

It will be interesting to see what changes for the ffa cup tie in 10 days, I have a feeling victory will come out and try rough city up, because they simply can't go with them in terms of quality.

Muscut had a pop at the ref after the game, he's got to be Australia's most bitter coach/gaffer.

Muscut had a pop at the ref after the game, he's got to be Australia's most bitter coach/gaffer.
He's the biggest scum, dog campaigner in Australian sport.

What did he complain about in particular? Probably the Brandan goal which everyone agreed was never a foul on Geria.

Yeah agreed, was a pretty big fan of his but towards the end he was sulking an carrying on abit.
Isn't he in league 2 in Turkey now?

Reckon when he got arrested for that verbal dispute with his wife in their apartment was the beginning of the end for him, the shame is he could have had a decent ligue 1 career if he wasn't such a volatile head case.

Loved Brandan's goal tonight, could be a new cult figure , esp with that haircut :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon when he got arrested for that verbal dispute with his wife in their apartment was the beginning of the end for him, the shame is he could have had a decent ligue 1 career if he wasn't such a volatile head case.

Loved Brandan's goal tonight, could be a new cult figure , esp with that haircut :D
Wasn't he rated as one of Lyon's best youth prospects when he was a teenager?

Completely agree with you on Brandan. Does not stop working and his passion is admirable. Looks like he would have seen, and perhaps done, some dodgy things in Argentina as well.

* me.

What an indictment on this day that the derby thumping was about the least s**t thing that happened!

- I nearly didn't make it! Caught up with a friend and his partner visiting from interstate this arvo - the stupid prick got himself hit by a car and is currently in hospital. It was only the fact that his partner was with him that allowed me to leave the hospital and go to the football.

- When you get there and you see not only police numbering in the 3 figures, but police in ******* riot gear, it already sets a negative tone for the day.

- I was outside having a smoke at half time and got hit right in the *in eye with a football, which a couple of kids were kicking around. I fully had to go see St Johns, cos it cut me open along my eyebrow and I had to get it checked and bandaged up. (Possibly needs stiches tomorrow, cos it's still bleeding)

- cos my train line has works on it this week it's taken me over an hour longer than normal to get home, and I had to do it on a gross, hot, crowded tram.

- I got home about 10 minutes ago with my house looking like a cyclone had blown through, because... well, it kind of has. A branch has broken off my neighbours tree and blown through my sliding door. I don't know when it happened obviously, but my poor little dog was shaking and hiding under a blanket when I got home. She didn't even come out when she heard me. (I've just had to gaffa + cardboard it, not much else I can do about it tonight.)

------

On the game itself. What a disaster. Geria and Valeri have probably played their worst games for the club tonight (I wanted to punch Geria when he got beaten and just fell over for the last goal :mad: ). Bozanic continues to invite speculation over his future and maligning from fans. Berisha got no service, then in the 2nd half when he did he fell into the trap of trying to do everything himself. Rojas walked through the defence for his goal, but other than that he barely got a touch (although I think it's cos the wind was blowing to the opposite flank - the Kamau flank - in the first half.) FBK is ******* lucky that Troisi is injured, and that we couldn't get Diamanti. He has no business in this team at the moment.

On the City side of it, * me if 1) Bruce isn't one of the best names to have fallen out of favour in modern times, and 2) if he didn't look like Messi down that flank tonight. He kind of reminded me of Aaron Mooy in a way - not in the way that he played, but in the way that he was only a bit-part player with his previous club, and now looks like an absolute world beater. I heard that Brattan got MOTM. That absolutely flabbergasts me. Kamau torched Georgevski for half an hour, then when he got sick of that he started cutting through the middle and torching Bozanic and Baro as well.

I though Kilkenny was better than Brattan too. This prick is going to end up being one of the great A-League advertisements for foreign-based Australian players if he keeps playing like this, cos he'll go from not even being in contention to being a regular in the Socceroos squad.

I guess if there is 1 positive... and you have to really, really want to see it... when the flare went off and we were 3-1 down I thought - like thousands of others - "wonderful, not only are we getting hammered, but we'll end up in negative points."

But the crowd was right on it. Everyone booed and - I have to find more about this tomorrow and see whether I can confirm it - I think the NT did something they've never, ever done before. I think they outed the guy who ripped it. Certainly the cops hauled a guy off - and they weren't very gentle about it! - and I guess it could've been that one of the 3 dozen cops surrounding the NT saw him, but I don't think so. As I say, I think the NT outed him.

Anyway, that was a longer whinge than I intended it to be. Probably the worst day I've had since I moved to Melbourne about 15 months ago!

Last edited:
Separate from that rant/whinge - I'm curious what people think of Fornaroli as a captain.

Watching him closely tonight, I'm not entirely sure that he's long for the captaincy. He looks a bit too volatile I think. Somethings that can work for you, like with Berisha - in his later years people stopped pissing Berisha off cos everyone came to realise that he'd embarrass you if you pissed him off.

But with that said, you wouldn't make Berisha your captain. Fornaroli should've been yellow carded following that little scrap in the first half, cos it was his fault that it escalated. I don't personally think that's how a captain should behave.

(That said, I've just seen a replay of his goal, and bugger me if that wasn't a much better goal than it looked live. That was a bugger of a height to score from - too high to kick, too low to head comfortably.)

BTW for those who went
What's etihad like for A-League/soccer matches?
Looked like a pretty cool atmosphere on the tv.

Depends who you ask.

I personally think it's dogshit when the seats are out. But plenty of other people will tell you that when the seats are out and the roof is open the sound escapes too much.

That said, I'm pleased to hear that it looked good on tv. Because of the way Victory got their pants pulled down I think it was one of the quietest games I've been to at Etihad.

tara pushing so hard for the soundbite. bless her.

I was pretty close to the fence tonight on the broadcast side of the ground. She walked past at one stage about 10 metres in front of me.

Tv almost doesn't do her justice you know. She is an absolutely stunning looking woman. She is gorgeous enough to make you cry yourself to sleep at night.

Sadly I wasn't in a place to try and say hello. We were already 3-0 down at that point... and to be honest, seeing her in the context of seeing my team getting beat took me back to the NRL preliminary final a few weeks ago when Cooper Cronk almost single-handedly beat the Raiders.

Also - * Yoshi. Gets to fly around the country, attend all the big games, he gets to interview with Tara. Little bastard. 10 years old and he's got a better life than I do!

Tipping it will be a super defensive game and not as entertaining as tonight.
0-0 or 0-1 either way.
We are more likely to win as we have better attacking options.
Hopefully JvS doesn't rotate too much like he did at this point of the FFA Cup last season.

Also, sorry to hear all that nobbyiscool. I wish your mate all the best and hope the repairs for your house don't set you back too much. Hopefully the face doesn't need stitches as well!

Disagree with you on Fornaroli though. I think we need that sort of character around - along with Brandan - as I think we've been a bit too nice in previous years. I see your point about not making a player like that captain but we've had a lot of player turnover recently and apparently he's really respected within the squad. I imagine that his leadership would also play a crucial role in helping the new South Americans, in Colazo and Brandan, who don't speak English settle in to the squad. I would think that he is an important conduit between those guys and the English speakers.

Depends who you ask.

I personally think it's dogshit when the seats are out. But plenty of other people will tell you that when the seats are out and the roof is open the sound escapes too much.

That said, I'm pleased to hear that it looked good on tv. Because of the way Victory got their pants pulled down I think it was one of the quietest games I've been to at Etihad.

I see, i've only been to Etihad once.
It was North vs. Richmond game, about 45k there and we flogged them.

About tonight
Maybe 12k City fans
5k bandwagoners
the rest Victory?

Understand why it might of got quieter.
I hope City can build our membership base up to around 20k and then the Derbies will really have an amazing atmosphere.

Hopefully JvS doesn't rotate too much like he did at this point of the FFA Cup last season.

Also, sorry to hear all that nobbyiscool. I wish your mate all the best and hope the repairs for your house don't set you back too much. Hopefully the face doesn't need stitches as well!

Disagree with you on Fornaroli though. I think we need that sort of character around - along with Brandan - as I think we've been a bit too nice in previous years. I see your point about not making a player like that captain but we've had a lot of player turnover recently and apparently he's really respected within the squad. I imagine that his leadership would also play a crucial role in helping the new South Americans, in Colazo and Brandan, who don't speak English settle in to the squad. I would think that he is an important conduit between those guys and the English speakers.

Thanks man. My mate will be ok, he's got a broken arm and quite a few bumps and bruises, but he should be right to fly back home tomorrow night. Still, not much of a trip!

And... I guess that it's fortunate that I live in a generation where home ownership is completely unobtainable? I rent my place, so the repairs aren't coming out of my pocket :D I was much, much more upset for my dog than I was for the sliding door glass or for the s**t that had blown around my lounge room.

And thanks for your thoughts on Fornaroli. I don't have a strong opinion on his leadership, and those thoughts were only based on tonight, so I was (and do) very much inviting people to disagree with me. I hadn't thought of his role among the other South Americans, it's a good point.

I absolutely agree that there's a lot of benefit to having your talisman also be your leader - I just thought his treatment of the referee at a couple of points during the first half weren't very "leaderly"

That said... Cahill scored less than 5 minutes after that, and Fornaroli had scored again almost before the Melburnians had stopped celebrating, so maybe it did have a positve impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back