A positive spin to the GC games

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2004
Caught somewhere in time
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Diamond Valley SC, MVFC, Leeds Utd
After hearing the duff man, walshy and other radio commentators Ive actually softened my hard line stance on this...This decision could actually secure our future in Melbourne !

Ok, this is what Ive come up with..

1/ 1.2 million every year for next 3 years gives us 3.6 million
2/ hopefully 2 million every year from new TV deal gives us 6 million ( im assuming thats for every year, but even if we are conservative and the AFL gives the clubs 1 million every year that still gives us 3 million )

Upshot : 6 million at a minimum wipes out our debt and puts money into our coffers..something we havent had for decades..
Already, after 3 years we are in a better position than a lot of Victoria clubs.

** NOTE : not including the CBF of 1 million

3/ Saturday night matches give us the potential to promote the Roos on prime time T.V : More sponsors, more money, and with our continued 2-3 Friday night games in Melbourne - this has to be a win

4/ Arden St. development of which the club is putting in 1 million ( I think ?? )
They are not going to just walk away from that. Even the Washly reiterated that on radio last night

5/ Andrew D mentioned he wants a game every week in the GC by 2015. Well, ok, At that point in time, and Im looking into my crystal ball here.
The GC experiment works well, we continue our 3 games every year, other struggling Melbourne clubs see the money potential at Carara, which leads to another Melbourne team playing 3 games out of the Gold Coast also. So with the Lions, playing minimum 11 games in Qld plus the Roos 3 matches and another team selling 3 games they pretty much will have a game in QLD every week give or take.

Upshot : as we were the inovators with the GC experiment, we would have built up a supporter base, corporate sponsors etc...where even if another Melbourne team wanted to play 3 games at Carrara and did so they wouldnt be able to get the same deal as North Melbourne ie. Similar to Essendons Telstra Dome deal.

6/ Even if the push is to have a team in the Gold Coast permanently, as a result of this deal, our financial position will have improved dramatically there would be certainly no financial reason for North Melb. to relocate. These things can change very quickly...the AFL/North dumped Canberra like a hot potato there is no reason if push came to shove and another Melbourne team was so desperate, we could quite easily dump Gold Coast and return to Melbourne for 11 home games once again.

Personally, this decision may well be the decision which sets us up permanently as a Melbourne based team. Lets be realistic, we are always going to sell home games as are other Melbourne teams. Even Essendon and Carlton are looking at doing this now. If we can get a great deal, which appears to have happened, shore up our financial issues...then really why would we have to move anywhere full time...What would be the reason ? It wont be financial when that time comes.....

If the club can push this line, get the 5000 or so members from last year that didnt sign up this year, reach 30,000 members there shouldnt be any need to move permanently...

Thoughts please...

Exactly what I've been saying in other posts - agree wholeheartedly - please take the time to go to bigpond and listen to the press conference - you may be surprised and come up with a lot of thoughts like Trevagreene.

trevagreene said:
After hearing the duff man, walshy and other radio commentators Ive actually softened my hard line stance on this...This decision could actually secure our future in Melbourne !

Ok, this is what Ive come up with..

2/ hopefully 2 million every year from new TV deal gives us 6 million ( im assuming thats for every year, but even if we are conservative and the AFL gives the clubs 1 million every year that still gives us 3 million )

Upshot : 6 million at a minimum wipes out our debt and puts money into our coffers..something we havent had for decades..
Already, after 3 years we are in a better position than a lot of Victoria clubs.

** NOTE : not including the CBF of 1 million

3/ Saturday night matches give us the potential to promote the Roos on prime time T.V : More sponsors, more money, and with our continued 2-3 Friday night games in Melbourne - this has to be a win

4/ Arden St. development of which the club is putting in 1 million ( I think ?? )
They are not going to just walk away from that. Even the Washly reiterated that on radio last night

5/ Andrew D mentioned he wants a game every week in the GC by 2015. Well, ok, At that point in time, and Im looking into my crystal ball here.
The GC experiment works well, we continue our 3 games every year, other struggling Melbourne clubs see the money potential at Carara, which leads to another Melbourne team playing 3 games out of the Gold Coast also. So with the Lions, playing minimum 11 games in Qld plus the Roos 3 matches and another team selling 3 games they pretty much will have a game in QLD every week give or take.

Upshot : as we were the inovators with the GC experiment, we would have built up a supporter base, corporate sponsors etc...where even if another Melbourne team wanted to play 3 games at Carrara and did so they wouldnt be able to get the same deal as North Melbourne ie. Similar to Essendons Telstra Dome deal.

6/ Even if the push is to have a team in the Gold Coast permanently, as a result of this deal, our financial position will have improved dramatically there would be certainly no financial reason for North Melb. to relocate. These things can change very quickly...the AFL/North dumped Canberra like a hot potato there is no reason if push came to shove and another Melbourne team was so desperate, we could quite easily dump Gold Coast and return to Melbourne for 11 home games once again.

Personally, this decision may well be the decision which sets us up permanently as a Melbourne based team. Lets be realistic, we are always going to sell home games as are other Melbourne teams. Even Essendon and Carlton are looking at doing this now. If we can get a great deal, which appears to have happened, shore up our financial issues...then really why would we have to move anywhere full time...What would be the reason ? It wont be financial when that time comes.....

If the club can push this line, get the 5000 or so members from last year that didnt sign up this year, reach 30,000 members there shouldnt be any need to move permanently...

Thoughts please...

Treva - I agree a little but I do not believe this is the end of the matter.

There will be pressure to relocate - no doubt. Just look at the comments from the GC Mayor already. He is talking permemnent relocation - that is what they expect.

Financially I am sure we will benefit - but how much different was it to what was on offer from ACT? And will the NMFC declare what the bids entailed? Did the AFL offer the same for both bids? Why does the AFL want us on the GC when they are going to replace us in the ACT? Why not just leave us in ACT and encourage another team to play a few games on the GC?

Too many unasnwered questions for me not to be very nervous about our future.

gokangas said:
Treva - I agree a little but I do not believe this is the end of the matter.

There will be pressure to relocate - no doubt. Just look at the comments from the GC Mayor already. He is talking permemnent relocation - that is what they expect.

Financially I am sure we will benefit - but how much different was it to what was on offer from ACT? And will the NMFC declare what the bids entailed? Did the AFL offer the same for both bids? Why does the AFL want us on the GC when they are going to replace us in the ACT? Why not just leave us in ACT and encourage another team to play a few games on the GC?

Too many unasnwered questions for me not to be very nervous about our future.

Gokangas I sort of agree..
the Gold Coast mayor, If you heard him on the radio, he sounds like he hasnt got a clue. The club/afl never mentioned him once in the press conference, and wasnt even inlcuded in the negotiations. Im pretty sure negotiations were b/w the 'Roos/AFL/AFL QLD.
However, the mayor did also mention that if the Roos werent prepared to relocate he would welcome another team.

In terms of the deal offered to us, compared to Canberra, I agree with your comments. Indeed, I sent the club an email asking the same thing last week...No response of course. I can only assume, we were the only club prepared to put our balls on the line to try and give this a go.. Possibly other Melbourne teams were scared off by the press constantly talking about relocation etc...... ( I hope that is the case !! ) Maybe its the same reason as why North Melbourne took the risk of playing Friday nights when no other Melbourne team wanted to give it a crack.

Good writeup trev.:thumbsu:

I agree, the fact that the club told Southport to go take a flying ****, is reason for optimism.

We have turned this whole scenario to our advantage.

We have three years to further secure our position in Melbourne.

gokangas said:
Why does the AFL want us on the GC when they are going to replace us in the ACT? Why not just leave us in ACT and encourage another team to play a few games on the GC?

Maybe, just maybe, Andy D was looking after his old club for once!! Gave us the first option to the best deal knowing it was a good way to secure our long term future in Melbourne.

To many unanswered question, yes there are, so don't go jumping to any conclusions. How many times does Duff have to say we are not going to relocate, and as others have pointed out, the Arden Street redevelopment is the surest indication that we will stay in Melbourne.

Hope the club organises a player/member pro-am golf day up there. Now that would be fun!

Can anyone tell me what has happened to Josh Gibson?
He is not listed in any injury lists but did notplay last week for Roos or Tassie and is not named in any team again this week.
Im desperate to find out where he is playing and if not why?
Cherrs

GO ROOS!

A few positives:

* Plenty of extra cash
* New revenue opportunities for Kanga Travel
* New sponsorship potential (Jupiters, Airlines, local businesses etc)
* Potential for new corporate packages - which Manuka couldn't provide
* Introduction of Meter Maids as cheer leaders;)
* We shafted Southport
* Better scheduling likely (Sat Nights)
* Better FTA coverage likely - helps with sponsors etc
* 100% vote of the board (no division at that level)
* Kills off any notion of merging or folding
* Ensures financial viability
* Have better leverage with the AFL as we are filling their SE QLD void

A few Negatives:

* Supporters from ACT feeling let down, probably will not renew their financial support
* Some division within support ranks (although seems a whole lot less controversial with supporters I know away from BF)
* Rumour mill of permanent relocation will hang over our head as long as we're playing games interstate (but then again, critics have been telling us we're going to fold for the past 50 years)
* Will be difficult to avoid a fall in member numbers/dollars next year - assuming the ACT ones go away
* Members had no say. But that's life, we've never had a vote on any important matter due to the club's structure
* Perception that our dependency on the AFL life $upport is greater than ever

Trying to play fence sitter, that's how I see the pros & cons.

In my view - I see more pros than cons, especially when compared to the Canberra arrangement. Especially as I want to see North 100% return to playing all home games in Melbourne one day in the future. I reckon the extra $$ available from this exercise gives us a far greater chance of doing that and killing debt, than by staying in Canberra for far less money, in a smaller market, at an inferior stadium.

It may well be wishful thinking that we'll ever play 11 home games in Melbourne again - but I believe yesterday's announcement provides us with our best chance of strengthening ourselves off field and achieving that goal.

The doomsdayers may well be proven right in 10 years time, but I'm prepared to back the club on this one. Even if the worse case scenario does eventuate (i.e. permanent move) down the track, I can live with that. Better outcome than a merger with Carlton, Melbourne or Footscray. No way in the world would I support a merged entity now, as we're not in a position of strength to dictate terms.

Anyway - that's next year.

Taking it one week at a time - looking forward to Thommo & the H-Bombs running amok this weekend, and clocking up our 4th win on the trot.

also forgot on the negative front:
* Melbourne based supporter access to sold home games has just become extremely difficult
* Travel factor on team amplified extended (all travel has some effect, just how much is hard to measure)

positives
* players will have a better looking skin complection increasing there marketability for the female / gay sector :) (sorry couldnt help it).

One other important point to note.
This deal immediately lifts us up in the pecking order in terms of financial stability. Im not going to name clubs, but straight away, in the next 3 years, we will go from bottom of the ladder in a financial sense to probably mid-table.
We will be seen ahead of say 3-4 melbourne clubs, if not more. Its easy to work out who the clubs are. The existing 2 teams selling interstate games which have large debts, a team from Princess park, team from punt rd. and possibly another team which have large long term debt !!!!
We have jumped over these clubs in a financial sense...

Talks of relocation will be associated with those sides. Long term of course.

The final piece in securing our future in Melbourne is up to the members !!
re-sign next year, and for those that didnt re-sign this year, see this as a sign of long term viability of the club and HOP ON BOARD !! The next step is up to US. get that membership figure up and all talk of relocation dies on its arse !! and the media spotlight will turn to the clubs with debt !

nice work, trev.

I've been thinking about the 'new market' games and the AFL's strategy. They are mostly appealing to expats and theatregoers so it doesn't really matter what the team is, as long as the people in these markets see top grade AFL games and get attracted to playing/going to/watching/paying for the game.

So if the AFL want maybe 8 games on the GC, 3/4 in the ACT, 3/4 in Tasmania, 1/2 in the NT, they can add them up and then split the games btw all the sides that want some extra cash and are open to being inventive - us, Dogs, Demons, Hawks, Saints, Carlton, and who knows who might drift in and out of this category over time. Each club on the list could do 1-4 home games in other sites, depending on circumstances.

Relocation puts one club in one place and all the AFL's eggs in one basket - but it now looks like the whole setup to take the game national has become much more fluid. More clubs, more locations, more options. Led by us, naturally.

Agree H2H - I was thinking the same thing - gives the AFL what they want - each market is satisfied and the clubs who want to can participate. Generates $$$$ and keeps supporters happy rather than have mergers and relocations.
Trev/Lidge - you are on the money - we buy memberships and make the Melbourne membership somewhere between 25 - 30k and relocation is not an option - if we drop off now and have 18k members the AFL will politely say - on your way to GC - its in ALL SUPPORTERS HANDS TO NOW SUPPORT THE CLUB AND BUY MEMBERSHIPS FOR NEXT YEAR TO MAKE US BULLETPROOF from all the innuendo.

KickItAnywhere34 said:
Trev/Lidge - you are on the money - we buy memberships and make the Melbourne membership somewhere between 25 - 30k and relocation is not an option - if we drop off now and have 18k members the AFL will politely say - on your way to GC - its in ALL SUPPORTERS HANDS TO NOW SUPPORT THE CLUB AND BUY MEMBERSHIPS FOR NEXT YEAR TO MAKE US BULLETPROOF from all the innuendo.

We need to keep this thread or similar going throughout preseason. We need all members to sign up as early as possible and keep the vibe going.
We need to remind every North Melbourne supporter throughout the preseason its up to us now. The club has done their bit in starting to wipe the debts and ensuring our financial stability. The rest is up to us. Ive already commited my wife who is a Collingfilth supporter to sign up next year as an incentive to take her and the little fella ( who I may add is a Baby Joey ) to the Gold Coast for a weekend shopping spree for her and a NM Home match for me !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great posts trev and Lidge :thumbsu:

The old adage of "first in, best dressed" I am hoping will bear some fruit for us on this occasion. The board love the club as much as we do and I'm backing them in on this one, despite the fact I'll have to fork out a heap more moula to see the GC games live.

Stripping the deal back to the bones, we're now ensured of a future "existing as we are, a Melbourne based team which plays three games interstate", for the next three years..............that's a start.

I couldn't give a toss about what Ron Clarke wants, and therefore what he says. The media will drive the permanent move story and again, who cares what the media have to say? I don't.

I personally think that this move, especially with it having the AFL's backing, ensures a much better future for our club. Had we remained as we were, albeit with the Arden St development, and had some other club swooped in to take up the GC offer, I'd have significant fears for our existence at all in a few years. Those fears are now allayed.

FFS let's make this the positive turning point for our mighty club.

I feel very sorry for the Canberra, and surrounds (hopper and family), locals who actually did attend our Manuka games. Other than them though, I think this move is a positive.

My $0.02 worth!

T'toes

trevagreene said:
We need to keep this thread or similar going throughout preseason. We need all members to sign up as early as possible and keep the vibe going.
We need to remind every North Melbourne supporter throughout the preseason its up to us now. The club has done their bit in starting to wipe the debts and ensuring our financial stability. The rest is up to us. Ive already commited my wife who is a Collingfilth supporter to sign up next year as an incentive to take her and the little fella ( who I may add is a Baby Joey ) to the Gold Coast for a weekend shopping spree for her and a NM Home match for me !!

Yep, we owe it to those that came before, and those that will come after, to make sure we do what we can to get the club on solid foundations.

We melbourne supporters also need to remind ourselves of the example set by a bloke named Arden.

Flag Man said:
Good writeup trev.:thumbsu:

I agree, the fact that the club told Southport to go take a flying ****, is reason for optimism.

We have turned this whole scenario to our advantage.

how funny is that? they tried to shaft us by securing a controlling interest, now they get jack s h i t!

Suck eggs Southport. "I'll take your money, but i'm not going to plow your driveway"

They maybe the cashed up nouveau riche, but we're the big boys. They may have shot themselves in the foot it appears

Nice work trev,

this will work on the basis that these members 5000 odd members sign up, management is run in an efficient manner to improve the balance sheets and relocation isnt an intention.

We could have travel packages on the school/uni holidays with friday night matches up there to increase our brand.

it is so simple we get 30,000 members and sign up, our changes of relocation are next to none unless there is mis-management which i doubt with private ownership.

trevagreene said:

We'd get the TV money regardless, and while we might not make as much out of Canberra we wouldn't be playing there for nothing. As with the current TV/Canberra deal, most of the money we get from these two sources will to pay operating expenses, not on retiring off debt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back