A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

That Jordan Peterson interview... good viewing. You can see why people can be disenfranchised from the left when you got idiot 'journalists' that come in with an agenda and dig their heels in and refuse to budge from their aggressive and often insulting 'plan of attack'. It was embarrassing watching the reporter try to stump the world renowned social scientist by replying with points that were completely taken out of context and often fabricated. It's been happening in Europe for a long time now have seen it creeping into Australian media the past year or two and quiet frankly it's a disgrace. Now Jordan will be flayed in Europe because a very small minority of his supporters will post politically incorrect messages on socials and the media will lap it up and shout that Jordan is anti-everything based on those while totally disregarding some of the more extreme lefties which have been doing this for years. RIP Jordan Peterson.

It was a bad interview because she wasn't prepared for how cagey Peterson is and how he doesn't like to play in anyone else's sandpit. He doesn't let himself be paraphrased or reframed and will redefine language to suit his narrative. I find it funny how a fleet of people who dismiss social science out of hand suddenly jump to becoming a follower of a clinical psychologist who speaks to their selection biases and preaches against the consensus in his own field... but I shouldn't be surprised because they have been doing it for years with climate science. I'm no great fan of Sam Harris either but after one podcast with Peterson where they largely talked past each other because of Peterson's cageyness; Harris absolutely nailed him to the wall in the second one.

So Nunes is now basically fighting on a piece of territory the size of a postage stamp.

Curse them small fonts!

Geez, Browndog, don't fall for those Strawmans. He suggested that the implication that hypothetically one of the sources used to compile the dossier may have been a political source, thought that doesn't discredit the rest of the information used being false.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...fbi-didnt-lie-but-its-font-was-too-small.html

the application to wiretap Page did disclose that one of the sources of intelligence to generate suspicion that Page might be acting illegally came from a political source. It was mentioned in a footnote on the FISA application. Nunes was asked about this on Fox & Friends. He did not deny the point. Instead he insisted that it wasn’t good enough because the disclosure was merely a footnote. “A footnote saying something may be political is a far cry from letting the American people know that the Democrats and the Hillary campaign paid for dirt that the FBI then used to get a warrant on an American citizen to spy on another campaign,” the distinguished Republican explained.

The same article suggests that
The central, and most damaging, accusation in the memo published Friday by House Republicans is that the FBI failed to disclose the bias of one of its sources when it applied to wiretap Carter Page. “Neither the initial application in October 2016, nor any of the renewals, disclose or reference the role of the DNC, Clinton campaign, or any party/campaign in funding [British agent Christopher] Steele’s efforts, even though the political origins of the Steele dossier were then known to senior and FBI officials,”
Which is false because it's not his bias that is the point in question, it's that the FISA warrant never would have been sought in the first place without his dossier, which may be based on questionable or false information.

Considering there was so much else on Page it is hard to argue "fruit of the poison tree". It sounds to me like the FISA warrant would have been able to be gained without the Steele dossier, and it was just the icing on the cake.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ed-its-onto-something/?utm_term=.7cce518d6c27

To initiate surveillance on former Trump foreign policy adviser Carter Page in October 2016, the government would have had to demonstrate that Page was “knowingly engaging in clandestine intelligence gathering activities for or on behalf of” Russia.
This is just the ******* issue, that wasn't there. The whole issue is there never was any info not some assumption that there must have been.
It takes months and even years to obtain enough relevant evidence for a FISA application, which can include details from physical surveillance, phone and financial records, items recovered from the target’s trash and intelligence obtained from other sources.
And yet in this situation such circumstances were easily circumvented?
So the FISA application would probably have outlined the bureau’s efforts going all the way back to 2013, when Page was approached by the FBI, which warned him, based on recordings of Russian intelligence officers, that he was being targeted for recruitment as a Russian spy.
Except it wasn't because McCabe testified that it was this dossier which would have authorised the surveillance.

Not gonna bother with the rest. It's just defensive garbage for people that can't be bothered to research anything.

That's my point, you're responding to spin without seeing the primary source. The memo is a secondary source.

How is it spin? It's simply a document based on existing documents. There's no doubt political motives but what spin has been initiated? Any spin comes from how someone interprets what's been presented. I suppose it might be similar to how you presented a biased and inaccurate article to support your contention, but the difference is the memo is based on existing and substantiated information rather than speculation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They think they are still in the wild wild west! Their gun laws stem right back to those days and have never really changed.

What a disgusting place it has become.......too worried about what the rest of the world is doing, instead of worrying about their own backyard. All they want to do is fight each other and the other countries. Has there ever been a time when they weren't being aggressive/at war somewhere in the world?

...and it will probably never change.

. Has there ever been a time when they weren't being aggressive/at war somewhere in the world?

1823-1898 they had a Doctrine of non-intervention in other countries. They did go to war against themselves for 4 years in that period though.

And they pretty much kept to themselves in the period between the World Wars. That's about it.

Another day, another school massacre, another example of Alex Jones being a piece of human excrement.

8 in 7 weeks. If they weren't brainwashed from a very young age that the US is the best country in the world people would be leaving there by the millions.

Another day, another school massacre, another example of Alex Jones being a piece of human excrement.

Why watch him? It just gives him views

They think they are still in the wild wild west! Their gun laws stem right back to those days and have never really changed.

What a disgusting place it has become.......too worried about what the rest of the world is doing, instead of worrying about their own backyard. All they want to do is fight each other and the other countries. Has there ever been a time when they weren't being aggressive/at war somewhere in the world?

...and it will probably never change.

I don't want to be seen as an apologist but I don't think the US's issue with gun violence lies in it's laws, more a cultural problem but ultimately ignorance of mental illness and the societal impact. I'd implore gun ownership laws be modified to prevent these people being able to obtain guns or to easily possess them from a family member but ultimately I'd love to see them pump an immense amount of funding into support programs and initiatives for those suffering, or even feeling they might suffer, from mental illness. I do not object to someone owning a gun for self defence (though I guess I'm a hypocrite because I have my own limits for what guns that entails) but if these firearms manufacturers are happy to profit so heavily off a nation they should give back to the mental health industry to ensure the wrong types never possess their guns for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Why is it that we don't need them here?
Do we not need them here? That may just be your perspective. It may not be imperative but I feel there might be many people in the South Eastern and Western Suburbs of Victoria that disagree with you. Home invasions and car jackings have become rampant in both areas. The increase in statistics in the last ten years is alarming. I tend to think if gun ownership and self defence laws were modified both regions would not only see a huge increase in firearm ownership but a reduction in both crimes. I don't believe it would correlate to an increase in other crimes either.

Why are Americans so afraid of each other?
You might better ask why humans are so afraid of each other. I think America's gun laws are comparable to a lot of countries. They seem to be the only one with a major issue and I tend to think it's more a cultural and neglect of mental health issue.

I absolutely cannot understand this unless you are in a war zone or third world country where looting and robberies are part of your morning commute.
Guessing that means you live in a relatively safe and crime free part of the nation like myself. It's wonderful. It's not a luxury everyone gets. I don't believe someone should be vilified for wanting a firearm to protect themselves or their family.

Do we not need them here? That may just be your perspective. It may not be imperative but I feel there might be many people in the South Eastern and Western Suburbs of Victoria that disagree with you. Home invasions and car jackings have become rampant in both areas. The increase in statistics in the last ten years is alarming. I tend to think if gun ownership and self defence laws were modified both regions would not only see a huge increase in firearm ownership but a reduction in both crimes. I don't believe it would correlate to an increase in other crimes either.

You might better ask why humans are so afraid of each other. I think America's gun laws are comparable to a lot of countries. They seem to be the only one with a major issue and I tend to think it's more a cultural and neglect of mental health issue.

Guessing that means you live in a relatively safe and crime free part of the nation like myself. It's wonderful. It's not a luxury everyone gets. I don't believe someone should be vilified for wanting a firearm to protect themselves or their family.

Crime in Australia is comparable to crime in the USA - in fact in most areas it's a little less here.

Guns don't reduce crime - having no guns and being conditioned to think doing crime is bad minimises crime.

There's basically no crime in Japan, for example. Only Americans seem to be so afraid of their trespassing neighbour that they think a gun is necessary.

It stems from keeping 'natives and blacks' away and I think that's still what it's for.

I do live in a low crime area, but if I lived in a high crime area I'd get a great security system and think about my driving and walking routes. I wouldn't think about needing to load someone up with lead as the only counter to their behaviour.

I've posted it before, but I suggest you watch Jim Jefferies' set on this issue. It's stand up comedy, but absolutely hits the absurdity of the self defense argument on the head. If there are stats on how many serious assaults are stopped 'thanks' to gun defense, please share.

. I tend to think if gun ownership and self defence laws were modified both regions would not only see a huge increase in firearm ownership but a reduction in both crimes. I don't believe it would correlate to an increase in other crimes either.
It absolutely does. Gun crime drops way further than home invasion incidence when guns have strict control placed on them, as they have here. How many deaths are we seeing here, from home invasion or carjacking, compared to the hundreds of people shot previously? There is no evidence that I have seen to support gun ownership reducing serious crime. You only need to look at the incidence of home invasion and stealing in the USA, where they have guns to see it still goes on.
So little to no impact on stopping crime, yet huge increase in shootings, both devastatingly huge numbers due to the type of guns, but also the incidence of accidental death. Domestic violence alone is a big enough reason to not allow guns in the home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back