A Very Worrying Game

Remove this Banner Ad

PressureCooker

All Australian
May 6, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
As I posted after our efforts V West Coast in Round 8, i hate games like these, where we put in a great performance against quality opposition then the following week (in a very winnable game) the boys sit back and expect it to happen again. I was right after the WC match where the following week we came out and played like clowns and got pumped by Port. Will it happen again this week? I sure hope not!! Playing Carlton are always worrying times for us as we have a history of losing to them when we have been the better team on paper, on form and in ladder position. Anything can happen. Losing to Carlton twice in one year is worse than being awarded the wooden spoon:eek:

So please a win. What I'd give for a win!!

PressureCooker said:
As I posted after our efforts V West Coast in Round 8, i hate games like these, where we put in a great performance against quality opposition then the following week (in a very winnable game) the boys sit back and expect it to happen again. I was right after the WC match where the following week we came out and played like clowns and got pumped by Port. Will it happen again this week? I sure hope not!! Playing Carlton are always worrying times for us as we have a history of losing to them when we have been the better team on paper, on form and in ladder position. Anything can happen. Losing to Carlton twice in one year is worse than being awarded the wooden spoon:eek:

So please a win. What I'd give for a win!!

if we loose twice we also get the spoon, every efc supporters nightmare

Ive become pretty numb to our season this year. Just sit back and enjoy the little positives and ponder where we will excel and what areas we are deficient in for the season coming. Sure, the spoon wouldnt be something Id like to accept, but as Sheedy said in his article in Sundays Herald Sun...who actually remembers who came last of any given year. Itll pass as the future arrives.

Its going to be a tough game....always is against Carlton no matter how good we are or how bad they are at the time.

If we lose we are almost guaranteed the wooden spoon because we will be 2 games clear on bottom and it will be hard to win 2 more games this session. At the same time if we beat Carlton there is still a strong possibility that we will get the wooden spoon if we lose % on them by sessions end.

We have to look at the possitives. I don't want the wooden spoon but I want the number 1 draft pick. I think I would still prefer to be 15th and the number 2 draft pick as its a more even draw on the young guys.

Both teams have a similar run home -

Essendon
v Carlton (MCG)
v Brisbane (TD)
v Sydney (SCG)
v Collingwood (MCG)
v Hawthorn (TD)
v Richmond (MCG)
v W.Bulldogs (TD)

Carlton
v Essendon (MCG)
v Fremantle (TD)
v Melbourne (TD)
v Hawthorn (MCG)
v Richmond (TD)
v Collingwood (MCG)
v Sydney (SCG)

Very similar draw, only two differences but they play one extra side currently in the 8. If we win this week, I reckon we'll avoid the spoon.

DaSawx said:
Sheeds is building a good side, we don't need #1 picks to survive.

Lets pump Carlton please, I want this win soooo bad

ditto.

Im heading up with 11 mates, half of those are blues fans. as tempting as having the first picks in the two drafts is its not going to make me feel better on the way home as my blues supporting mates sink the boots in.

I bleed red and black and the thought of losing a game to carlton just to go up a rung in the draft makes me sick. I hate those bastards more than any other side(i also have more respect for them than any other side) and the bragging rights and our pride outweigh having the best pick and a spoon.

kelvin_sheedy said:
I would prefer if we finished last.

you no it is bad to finish last right? you sure your an essendon supporter hoping to finish last, building a team around one talented kid is not going to make us a much much better team next year, there is 22 blokes, we signs that all the 22 blokes can do their part next year to leapfrog up the ladder and not put all eggs in one basket over a talented kid example hodge and hawthorn, one very talented kid that cant do alot from hawthorn because they are rubbish

kelvin_sheedy said:
Not mine. I would prefer if we finished last. First pick in the PSD is what i'm after.

First pick PSD + First Draft pick (Gibbs ) + Good trade and we'll be playing finals next year.

Stuff that - we need a win not only for the supporters but for the players. In an even draft there isn't much difference between picks 1 & 2 anyway.

Also clubs pick players in the PSD based on needs and cap room.
Its not neccasarily the best available.

I don't think you guys read my reply correctly. First pick in the *PSD* is the all important. This allows us to get the best uncontracted player. First time in a while when we can throw some money around and get someone for the long term eg. Rischetelli.

That would mean we could get two talented young kids in the one season plus a good trade = fast track into finals footy and becoming a power again.

If we don't finish last expect us to be middle of the road for the next 3 years.

Sometimes you got to put the emotion out of it as it will be better for the long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelvin, I'll make the presumption you are going to the game.

Will you clap Carlton goals?
Will you wear a Carlton jumper?
Will you boo when Lovey slots his 4th from an impossible angle after spinning clear of five would be tacklers, doing a handstand, followed by an army role and snapping the ball over his head?
Will you fail to sing the club song after the game if we win?

I mean, you are an Essendon supporter going to a game hoping we lose. Sorry, but that just seems a strange concept.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the best player in the PSD has gone pick one for quite a few years IMO.

Guerra, Camporeale > McLaren
Caracella/Betts > Knobel
Stevens/Mahoney > Rawlings
Craig Bolton, Moloney > Powell
Hentschell > Aaron Lord

Need I go on?

Longy413 said:

Will you boo when Lovey slots his 4th from an impossible angle after spinning clear of five would be tacklers, doing a handstand, followed by an army role and snapping the ball over his head?

I mean, you are an Essendon supporter going to a game hoping we lose. Sorry, but that just seems a strange concept.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the best player in the PSD has gone pick one for quite a few years IMO.

Caracella/Betts > Knobel
Hentschell > Aaron Lord

Need I go on?

If ya want Longy ;) :D

kelvin_sheedy said:
I don't think you guys read my reply correctly. First pick in the *PSD* is the all important. This allows us to get the best uncontracted player. First time in a while when we can throw some money around and get someone for the long term eg. Rischetelli.

That would mean we could get two talented young kids in the one season plus a good trade = fast track into finals footy and becoming a power again.

If we don't finish last expect us to be middle of the road for the next 3 years.

Sometimes you got to put the emotion out of it as it will be better for the long term.
Absolute bollocks.
Unless for example, Jonathan Brown puts himself in the PSD there really is no difference between 1st and 2nd pick.

And again, clubs pick players in the PSD based on needs and cap room. Carlton may want (and probably will want) a totally different player than Essendon will.

Also with Carlton cash strapped and players like Murphy and Kennedy (just to name two) coming out of contract next season, I'd doubt that they are going to pay huge sums of money for any player.

Especially after the Nick Stevens experience.

Longy413 said:

Caracella/Betts > Knobel
Hentschell > Aaron Lord

Need I go on?

Not to that extent. I will still be cheering but in the washup if i had a choice i would take a loss.

The PSD might have been hit and miss in the past but we will definaltey make the best choice for the long term future in this one. Make no mistake about that.

DaSawx said:
Sheeds is building a good side, we don't need #1 picks to survive.

Lets pump Carlton please, I want this win soooo bad

I agree and was having this convo with an Essendon poster via PM yesterday (you know who you are;)) and as an example I pointed out the players teh Dogs and Hawks have drafted recently, with neither of them having won a spoon.

Top couple of picks are all as good as each other... kinda.

kelvin_sheedy said:
Not to that extent. I will still be cheering but in the washup if i had a choice i would take a loss.

That really is a shame.

kelvin_sheedy said:
The PSD might have been hit and miss in the past

It isn't hit and miss. Carlton would have known going into the PSD that Guerra was a better footballer than McLaren. Likewise Richmond drafting Knobel ahead of Caracella.

Dogs wanted a tall, they went Rawlings. Despite it being obvious that Nick Stevens was a better footballer, but the Dogs didn't need midfielders.

PSD is about need and cap space. The majority of clubs get exactly who they want in the PSD. In recent years, I don't think a club has missed out.

kelvin_sheedy said:
Make no mistake about that.

Have you already got a list of what players will be available in the PSD?

Its a crap position to be in. I want us to win as many games as possible but also want Gibbs.

I'm finding i'm disappointed when we lose but not as disappointed as i should be because i know its a step towards Gibbs.

They really need to make the #1 draft a lottery....

Jaymin said:
Its a crap position to be in. I want us to win as many games as possible but also want Gibbs.

I'm finding i'm disappointed when we lose but not as disappointed as i should be because i know its a step towards Gibbs.

They really need to make the #1 draft a lottery....

How do we know Gibbs will be a star? He may be another run of the mill AFL like Goddard (good but not special)

All this lottery talk is driving me up the wall, it is not better for the AFL and never will be.

DaSawx said:
How do we know Gibbs will be a star? He may be another run of the mill AFL like Goddard (good but not special)

All this lottery talk is driving me up the wall, it is not better for the AFL and never will be.

Have you seen him play? He looks the goods. I don't think i've ever heard this much hype over a player...

You'd think there would be a fair chance he is going to be quality.

The lottery is the way to go....

Jaymin said:
Have you seen him play? He looks the goods. I don't think i've ever heard this much hype over a player...

You'd think there would be a fair chance he is going to be quality.

The lottery is the way to go....

I've seen a little bit of him and no doubt he'll be a player.

But to be fair, the hype around him has no doubt increased because of the whole Adelaide saga.

I'm don't think it is overly clear that he is the best player in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back