AAMI Park (Melbourne) thread

Remove this Banner Ad

the prospect of suburban grounds like Ikon Park or Whitten Oval
Forgot about these and absolutely.

If the WC needed Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium, you could even run a festival of footy where the VIC teams host the interstate clubs for 4-6 weeks at Marvel and Suburban/Regional Grounds.

The 48 country WC will require a minimum of 10-12 stadiums for scheduling purposes.

Australia (8 Stadiums): Brisbane, Sydney x2, Newcastle, Melbourne, Geelong, Adelaide, Perth

New Zealand (3 Stadiums): Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch

It wouldn't disrupt the thing that matters most however, in a monetary sense, which is the broadcast rights. 2 months of no footy in the middle of footy season... not going to be received well by nutjob TV executives like Lewis Martin (see the Ch7 v CA stuff).

They don't have to play Collingwood v Carlton etc during that 4 month window though. Make the Marvel games be Melb teams vs interstaters, then load up on big games at the MCG when it's available, and overall the crowd averages wouldn't drop too much, I think. If Optus and AO get used, the solution would probably be SA and WA teams each playing 6 matches across 8 weeks (broken up with 2 byes) on the road.

The Premier a few days ago seemed to be on board with the temporary rectangled MCG concept. I don't know if he's going to change his mind on that. The MCC would benefit a great deal more from a 2034 WC than it would've in 2022. As far as the convenient flexibility of contracts go, look no further than the 2020 and 2021 Grand Finals.
Good point re: broadcast rights. Perhaps a one-month season pause works i.e. for the month of the tournament itself. I'm guessing whoever has the rights would be less fussed about the footy being off the TV during a WC hosted here.

Quite easily.

Thursday, Friday, Sat 12pm, Sat 7.30pm and Sunday at Marvel could be done.

Move the Saturday Arvo game to Tassie, NT, Ballarat or Geelong depending on prior commercial arrangements if needed/wanted.

MCG would waive any of their contractural agreements with AFL in exchange for hosting the WC which would bring in more $$$ for them.
You're kind of missing my point. I know it's possible to continue the season with the MCG, Perth Stadium and AO unavailable. I'm just saying that the impact of playing matches in Albury, Moe and at the Whitten Oval is so big that they AFL won't want that. There's a reason that venues of that size aren't used anymore.

It's not a question of the MCC "waiving their contractual agreements with the AFL". The contract entitles the AFL to use of the ground during the winter. They'd need to intice the AFL to agree to alter the contract.

There's a reason that venues of that size aren't used anymore.
Not used regularly I agree. But between the MCC and Vic Gov wanting the MCG to be used for the WC, I'm sure the AFL would do pretty well out of it ($$$). Plus if they stacked the fixture with interstate teams playing in Melb/Vic over that time could get the bonus of having people come to Melb for both the footy and the WC.

I think if the MCG is used for a WC, the AFL season would need to go in hiatus for the 2 month period (the tournament and the month prior to it that Fifa demands exclusive access to stadiums). Can't see how nine Melbourne-based clubs are going to make do with one stadium.
Australia isn’t getting the soccer World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back