Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Duo chase half centuries
Thursday 21 July 2011[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Cornelius, who will win the Lions Reserves goalkicking for the second consecutive season, needs four majors against the Gold Coast Reserves at Metricon Stadium on Saturday.

That is providing he is not elevated to the seniors given the chronic shortage of big forwards at the Lions following injuries to Jonathan and Mitchell Clark.

Cornelius has been constantly overlooked despite his outstanding reserves form until this point.

cornelius.jpg

onya Aaron good luck matey :thumbsu: give em hell . i hope to toast the disbelievers after the weekend and the next few weeks !!!

Round 18 team selection

TASMANIAN Aaron Cornelius has been handed the giant task of filling Jonathan Brown's boots when Brisbane take on North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium tomorrow.

He has been a standout in the state league with his strong leading and good hands but has failed to make the same impact at senior level.

Cornelius has been named at full-forward but at 192cm and 86kg he could also be thrown into a key defensive post if the backline struggles against North Melbourne's talls, headed by in-form Drew Petrie.

aaroncornelius.jpg

Jade Rawlings

Aaron Cornelius will come in this week. He hasn’t played I think since about round three, but he’s demonstrated some really good improvement in areas that we’re after over the last three or four weeks, so he comes in. (It’s) a good time for his opportunity, (it’s) unfortunate to lose Jon, but Aaron plays key forward, which is the area we need to replace.

Voss

The 192cm forward has shown terrific hands in his eight senior matches, but Voss said he was most pleased with the Tasmanian’s improvement in the defensive side of his game.

"It’s a good opportunity for Aaron to come into the team and show us what he’s got and he’s certainly worked on a lot of aspects of his game, attack and defence," Voss said.

"It’s been pleasing to see that he’s gone back and really worked away at that and persisted.

Round 18 vs North Melbourne

Cornelius started well and kicked two goals in the first quarter but was quiet after halftime - and shanked a sitter midway through the final term.

[YOUTUBE]35yjCjjJ7V8&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Video courtesy of Ginger Greatness.

Michael Voss

"Ayce [Cornelius] presented nicely, but much the same story, isn't' it?" he said.

"You've still got to be able to go for the whole game, and we're not doing that.

"The courage to be able to keep running when you're tired is not something that is good enough for us at the moment."

Nathan Clarke

[FONT=&quot]With leading goalkicker Aaron Cornelius in the seniors, the forward line lacked reliable marking target.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“There’s no doubt we missed Cornelius."[/FONT]

Grim, in the interest of balance, I think the second two lines quoted above were refering to the whole team not just Cornelius. I thought Cornelius played his best game for us. He needs to improve his fittest but I thought his second efforts improved markedly from previous appearences.

These comments were aimed at 21 players (ie everyone but Simon Black)

"You've still got to be able to go for the whole game, and we're not doing that.

"The courage to be able to keep running when you're tired is not something that is good enough for us at the moment."

Blacky's blog

On a bright side for the team was the inclusion of Aaron Cornelius. Ace came into the side with Jonathan (Brown) being out and he was our full forward for the day. (He) did a couple of really good things. He had five shots on goal. He presented really well, led up really well at times. (He’s) got a great set of hands on him, Ace, (he) reads the flight of the ball very well in the air and he’s got the ability to be a long term player for our footy club, which is very exciting.

corneliusv.jpg

He presented really well, led up really well at times.

My biggest concern with Acorn :(

For someone with so much talent, his work-rate leaves a fair bit to be desired. But it's definitely improved since his previous games, and hell, I may be being a bit harsh given that I've become so used to Browny's work-rate.
Probably not a fair comparison for a young fella :eek:

Definitely hoping to see a lot more of him in the future :thumbsu:

I do remember, against Norf, seeing him involved in the play around half back then leading from the goal square to mark some metres clear about twenty seconds later. Must've worked pretty hard to do that.

Though the fact that it sticks in my memory may be because it doesn't happen often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NEAFL leading goal kickers

[FONT=&quot]Aaron Cornelius will happily not make the 50-goal milestone if it means he keeps his spot in the Brisbane Lions senior line-up for the remainder of the year.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cornelius has been outstanding at full-forward over the past two months and finally earned a senior berth a fortnight ago, where he kicked two early goals against North Melbourne and was let down by some poor passing from upfield on other occasions.[/FONT]

cornelius4.jpg

Seemed a lot better in that game. Was hard to judge as we didn't give him great opportunities, but he seemed to be dangerous when the ball was near, and just looked like he was a main forward. I don't think it is any secret that he has improved himself this year. First chance to see him at AFL level live at the game today, i'll be keeping one eye on him to see how he goes.

Has Cornelius actually played in a winning side? From what I can recall, he seems to have played in games where the opposition were top 8 sides...just curious.

Has Cornelius actually played in a winning side? From what I can recall, he seems to have played in games where the opposition were top 8 sides...just curious.

One win against West Coast late in 2010 and eight losses. No wonder he doesn't play more! ;)

He has the same problem 95% of young key forwards have he doesn't put as much pressure on his opponents when they run it out of defense. His engine needs works but he is a star in the making.
In a working team, we could have the luxury of having Cornelius sit in the goal square, then lead up when the ball goes forward. In our current team, we need a lot more. Having said that, I believe we need to keep working on his weaknesses and keep him at the Lions.

In a working team, we could have the luxury of having Cornelius sit in the goal square, then lead up when the ball goes forward. In our current team, we need a lot more. Having said that, I believe we need to keep working on his weaknesses and keep him at the Lions.

Yes no doubt, he will get better and really how often should your full forward be up on the wing.

http://www.lions.com.au/tabid/5085/default.aspx?newsid=120431

Cornelius finds his feet
By Michael Whiting
7:24 PM Sun 07 Aug, 2011

"I didn't really deserve my turn," Cornelius admitted.

"I had to work on my defensive pressure and not being a liability when it comes to team structure. Tackling, chasing, things like that, so I had a few good weeks in ressies doing those things and when the opportunity came I was able to step up.

"I wanted to change those things. It's certainly not hard, I just had to concentrate a lot more on that stuff and the best part was that after I did those things, I was able to take some marks and kick some goals. It certainly paid off and helped me out a lot."

Got to say he's been saying all the right things in recent weeks. And even ignoring this article, not sure why anybody would want to get rid of him. Taken at pick 57, only 21 years of age....****en keeper!

Admit there's things he could work on and looks to be committed to working on them, even if the improvements coming slowly. Don't forget that our team in general loses it's s**t late in games which makes it all the harder. Looks to have fitness issues, but I've got no doubt that if our midfield and defense functioned with some consistency he could have had a few more chances in the last half and easily kicked 5 or 6 which is a good game for a forward despite late fades or lack of defensive pressure at times (although I thought he ran well for the most part).

Round 20 vs Adelaide

With Jonathan Brown out and Mitch Clark's future unclear, the Lions desperately need to develop new tall forwards. Aaron Cornelius stood up with four goals, but he needs to develop another dimension beyond marking and kicking.

cornelius5.jpg

Brian Taylor was commenting about how fatigued he was, saying it looked like he had stilts on, and that he was running up and down on the same spot.

I'm going to take this as a positive, in that he's running himself to exhaustion. That's all you can ask, and if he keeps doing that his match fitness will improve.

Four goals on Rutten. Good job.:thumbsu:

well done boyo !! at last heading in the right direction !!! lets turn that haul of 4 into 6 next week so i can let the disbelievers have it !! hahaha well done :thumbsu:

Happy with his performance. He wasn't running in the end no because he was lazy, but because he was buggered, and as Grim said, that's all you can ask for. If he is going to continue at AFL level though, he needs to address this. He is dangerous when the ball is coming near him, his leading is good and to the right spots and his hands and contested marking is great. There is certainly a spot for him in the senior side if he can run games out.

well done boyo !! at last heading in the right direction !!! lets turn that haul of 4 into 6 next week so i can let the disbelievers have it !! hahaha well done :thumbsu:

Interesting to see Cornelius's comments yesterday saying he didn't deserve senior selection earlier in the year citing the exact deficiencies that some people here previously suggested he needed to work on.

We see now the benefits of not picking players on reputation and when required, keeping them back until they meet certain non-negotiable requirements.

Great coaching, and also great modesty by Cornelius. Those people who claimed he was going to walk away due to lack of opportunity were doing his character a great disservice.

Love the new and improved Cornelius. Still very much a work in progress but the trajectory is now tracking steadily upward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back