Abortion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see how $140,000 pa attracts the best talent to medicine.
That for me is the kicker. It isn't like many other sectors where, lower wages simply may equate to a lower standard of employee, meaning worse productivity, poorer service, quality control marginally suffering etc. etc.

A drop in clinical outcomes, equals loss of life. There is no rationalising it. It also means a spike in malpractice suits, leading to higher insurance costs.

Healthcare, though our system is far from perfect and medical research are two rare things we get largely right. Radical changes to the current system, like selling the government insurer, or overhauling the AMA, or trying to drive down the salaries of medical professionals, is really not going to be of benefit.

That for me is the kicker. It isn't like many other sectors where, lower wages simply may equate to a lower standard of employee, meaning worse productivity, poorer service, quality control marginally suffering etc. etc.

A drop in clinical outcomes, equals loss of life. There is no rationalising it. It also means a spike in malpractice suits, leading to higher insurance costs.

Healthcare, though our system is far from perfect and medical research are two rare things we get largely right. Radical changes to the current system, like selling the government insurer, or overhauling the AMA, or trying to drive down the salaries of medical professionals, is really not going to be of benefit.

I would argue the high pay actually causes a loss of life. That is the loss of the life of doctors who feel trapped in a job and lifestyle they hate but can not change jobs due to the change in lifestyle that would be required.

We see the same thing with partners in legal and accounting firms. It is quite sad really.

Good to see you"re a fan boi for the "it's someone elses fault, never mine" crusade.

If some one uses an abortion as contraception they probably won't be a good mum thus they are doing the kid and society a favour.

If the women or girl makes a mistake, then she and the kid shouldn't be punished for the rest of their lives.

If their is a medical reason, including a psychological issue, then the women needs treatment

If the women is raped.........

If the child has severe health issues...........

There are plenty of reason why a women may chose to terminate a pregnancy. Some of those include fault and as part of counselling this may be raised as a topic of discussion but it should not form part of the decision process for a doctor making a referral.

No, what I'm good at taking responsibilities for my own actions. Not making piss weak excuses for supposed grown adults.

Breaking it down simply - I agree that personal responsibility is a factor when it comes to f*cking. However, there is also a personal responsibility factor in any decision to be made when it comes to countermeasures such as RU486, the impending 'male' contraceptive pill or other methods of removal once cells divide and the early-stage embryo exists.

EVERYONE should be entitled to choose, or not choose, these options.

Should doctors have a choice in who gets what? As General Practitioners of Medicine, I don't think they should. Religious-minded people who still have a calling to the field of medicine should be able to administer to the needs of their various communities within the moral boundaries of said communities.

But if you're a General Practitioner, you should serve a common humanity.

Good point! And one I don't properly know the answer to. We're ALL meant to be 'equal under the law', aren't we?

Yes, and every individual should be treated in the same manner in any given circumstance. However, circumstances can differ in subtle and not-so-subtle ways, and accordingly sentences can vary in instances which are otherwise classified as the same crime. Mandatory sentencing is the law equivalent of what you were suggesting for medicine, and I believe it is pretty controversial even in the limited forms it is being used.

As I said in another post, medical ethics is a complex area, and a code with no moral grey areas would be unworkable. Anyway, this is probably off topic

I would argue the high pay actually causes a loss of life. That is the loss of the life of doctors who feel trapped in a job and lifestyle they hate but can not change jobs due to the change in lifestyle that would be required.

We see the same thing with partners in legal and accounting firms. It is quite sad really.
Have you ever seen the show Borgen? This is spin worthy of a fictional Danish spin doctor.

On Lateline last night it was reported that rape was on the increase and showed a 4 year old who had been raped by a 16 year old. Say this girl was 14 and was pregnant as a result of the rape? This child is already physiologically affected at 4, imagine a teenager who is the innocent party in all this? What right has a doctor refuse to refer the girl given they take an oath to help the sick. Would he be prepared to live with the consequences of his decision both legal and moral?

Not sure what the law is currently but for those doctors that refuse to refer then I would like them to document their reasons for refusing and then be responsible in a court of law for their decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a terrible story. I imagine the % of abortions related to rape would be minuscule.
Sorry, should have mentioned that the report was about girls in Cambodia but you are right, the grandfather of the 4 year old didn't even want it reported to the police. Wanted to handle it with talk! Said the young boy was an honest boy etc etc.

It's not merely a union, the AMA is the most powerful union in the country.

You cannot practice medicine in Australia without the endorsement of the AMA the AMB can and has banned medical practitioners from practicing medicine based solely on the recommendation of the AMA, Membership is compulsory.
And the Medical Board of Australia's Code of Conduct is quite clear on a medical practitioners responsibility:

2.4.7 Not allowing your moral or religious views to deny patients access to medical care,recognising that you are free to decline to personally provide or participate in that care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back