Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

G'day Sunbakers, I come with tidings. Like many a Victorian the ball and chain and I have retired to the Sunshine state. So bloody good to be out of Danistan, I tell ya. I'm never wearing a mask again in my life, unless I'm snorkelling.

Craving a bit of footy so I got along to your under 19 intra club yesterday. 80 minutes in very hot humid conditions. Jedd Foggo and Marlin Corbett were the stand outs going head to head on the ball most of the game.

G'day Sunbakers, I come with tidings. Like many a Victorian the ball and chain and I have retired to the Sunshine state. So bloody good to be out of Danistan, I tell ya. I'm never wearing a mask again in my life, unless I'm snorkelling.

Craving a bit of footy so I got along to your under 19 intra club yesterday. 80 minutes in very hot humid conditions. Jedd Foggo and Marlin Corbett were the stand outs going head to head on the ball most of the game.
Thanks mate and welcome to the best part of Australia! :thumbsu:

That's interesting that you felt Foggo and Corbett were the standouts. Both are from just over the border in the Tweed/Byron area which doesn't have the best track record when it comes to producing AFL players but I know we'd be more than happy to welcome them if they are up to the level. We're in such a unique position where the phrase "local" actually includes people from either side of a state border. Northern NSW certainly has a stronger history of producing professional rugby league players so it would be nice to see some Aussie rules players coming through as well.

In another thread I saw SUN OF A GUN state that "Harrington, Corbett, Rogers, Semmler, Dawson, Zanker-Close, Lake, Brown, Foggo, Bella and Walter were the standouts" so that backs up what you said about Corbett and Foggo. I know Jed Walter is one that has a lot of people excited because he's a genuine power forward who is already in the NAB AFL Academy and we haven't had a high level power forward come through our academy for a long time. Unfortunately we will have to wait another year for Walter as he was born in 2005. Harrington and Eckersley (didn't play) have received the most hype over the last 12 months so it'll be interesting to see how many/if any of these kids actually make it. Especially after we completely overhauled our academy program last year.

I assume the next academy game will be against the Lions over the next few weeks. Brisbane have their own NAB AFL Academy member in Jaspa Fletcher this year (son of Bears/Lions player Adrian) who is supposed to be an outstanding midfielder so the boys will have to do their homework to make sure Fletcher doesn't dominate them in the academy series. And of course, the best player in this year's draft, born and raised Gold Coaster Will Ashcroft will play for Sandringham this year and will almost definitely be father-son picked by the Lions. Unfortunately we don't have access to him as he moved to Melbourne one year before he would have been academy eligible for us (14) and I'm sure he's going to want to always play well against us so he can win the medal named after his father. At least we can take solace in the fact that Ashcroft should be playing his trade in Queensland, instead of Queensland losing another outstanding prospect to the southern states (Nick Riewoldt anyone?).

That's interesting that you felt Foggo and Corbett were the standouts. Both are from just over the border in the Tweed/Byron area which doesn't have the best track record when it comes to producing AFL players but I know we'd be more than happy to welcome them if they are up to the level. We're in such a unique position where the phrase "local" actually includes people from either side of a state border. Northern NSW certainly has a stronger history of producing professional rugby league players so it would be nice to see some Aussie rules players coming through as well.

In another thread I saw SUN OF A GUN state that "Harrington, Corbett, Rogers, Semmler, Dawson, Zanker-Close, Lake, Brown, Foggo, Bella and Walter were the standouts" so that backs up what you said about Corbett and Foggo. I know Jed Walter is one that has a lot of people excited because he's a genuine power forward who is already in the NAB AFL Academy and we haven't had a high level power forward come through our academy for a long time. Unfortunately we will have to wait another year for Walter as he was born in 2005. Harrington and Eckersley (didn't play) have received the most hype over the last 12 months so it'll be interesting to see how many/if any of these kids actually make it. Especially after we completely overhauled our academy program last year.

I assume the next academy game will be against the Lions over the next few weeks. Brisbane have their own NAB AFL Academy member in Jaspa Fletcher this year (son of Bears/Lions player Adrian) who is supposed to be an outstanding midfielder so the boys will have to do their homework to make sure Fletcher doesn't dominate them in the academy series. And of course, the best player in this year's draft, born and raised Gold Coaster Will Ashcroft will play for Sandringham this year and will almost definitely be father-son picked by the Lions. Unfortunately we don't have access to him as he moved to Melbourne one year before he would have been academy eligible for us (14) and I'm sure he's going to want to always play well against us so he can win the medal named after his father. At least we can take solace in the fact that Ashcroft should be playing his trade in Queensland, instead of Queensland losing another outstanding prospect to the southern states (Nick Riewoldt anyone?).
FTFY

Fletcher plays mostly wing, and is still pretty lite. He's more skilful than dominating.

Nick Riewoldt himself will tell you he's a Tasmanian who lived in Queensland for a few years.

People of course are loyal to their birth state. But Nick moved to QLD at 8 or 9 years old so it’s not disingenuous for Qld to claim him. Vast majority of junior footy played in QLD drafted from Qld
A couple of years ago I did some research into the background of the academy boys drafted by the two QLD clubs, that were currently on our lists. With the exception of two players, every players parents were from Victoria or WA, with two of the boys also having been born interstate (one from Vic and one from WA)

Jedd Walter was well beaten by Brinn Little...BOG for mine. Fish Corbett was very good. Didn't see much of Harrington. Bella wasn't prominent either. Difficult conditions for most of the game. Lake, Rogers, Zank and a few of last year's U17s showed a bit.

People of course are loyal to their birth state. But Nick moved to QLD at 8 or 9 years old so it’s not disingenuous for Qld to claim him. Vast majority of junior footy played in QLD drafted from Qld
So he lived in Tassie for 8 or 9 years, Qld for about the same and has lived in Victoria for more than 2 decades. I think you're saying he's Victorian?

Nick Riewoldt himself will tell you he's a Tasmanian who lived in Queensland for a few years.
So he lived in Tassie for 8 or 9 years, Qld for about the same and has lived in Victoria for more than 2 decades. I think you're saying he's Victorian?
Nick was afforded the opportunity to control the narrative of his origin due to a series of events that could have panned out differently. For example, if Nick had been just a few years older then he definitely would have represented Queensland in State of Origin footy in the 90s. The rules at the time would have ruled that Nick was a Queenslander and he certainly would have been selected for the Maroons immediately due to their team being relatively weak at the time and him being the number 1 draft pick. Another event that flipped the script was Eddie McGuire's successful attempt to remove Southport from Brisbane's recruiting zone in the late 90s. If Eddie had not been successful in that inquiry, Nick would have become a Lion and would be considered one of the greatest Queenslanders to ever play in the AFL. You may not know this, but Nick was desperate to remain in Queensland in the lead up to the 2000 draft because he wanted to stay near his family but that rule change guaranteed that Nick was heading to Victoria. Michael Voss lived in Victoria until he was 11 but not a single person considers him to be Victorian and he actually played for Queensland in state footy (just like Nick would have) so these sorts of things do factor into the narrative of a player's origin.

Nick also had the opportunity to 'come home' to the Suns in 2010 and become our first marquee signing, which again would have confirmed his status as a Queenslander, and although he said he was close to heading back to Queensland, he decided against it because St Kilda happened to be playing Grand Finals at the time. Ever since then Nick has been much more vocal about the fact that he feels Tasmanian and that is probably partially influenced by the pending introduction of a new Tasmanian team in the AFL and his involvement in that. So everything has really just fallen into place for Nick to be able to claim he's Tasmanian and at this point it's a fair call because there's no real definitive evidence to suggest something to the contrary. Good for you Nick but you'll still be named in mock Queensland state teams because QLD is the state you would have played for if interstate footy existed during your career.

U18 Suns girls playing Brisbane Lions Academy at Yeronga on Saturday. Game starts 2pm.

Live stream here:

A few of our girls to keep an eye on in this game. Mackay player Alana Gee is the best prospect coming out of Queensland this year and Fleur Davies is also highly rated. Fluer's sister Giselle is already on our list and I believe another sister, Darcie, is also participating in this game and she should be draft eligible next year. Rumour is there's even a fourth Davies at a lower age group as well haha. Not sure why another AFLW sibling in Jasmine Single isn't participating in this game but Tara Harrington (sister of Cody) is and she's supposed to be pretty good as well. Hopefully the girls go well today!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FT Lions 33 Suns 45

A lot of to like. A lot of talent. My favourite was Harris in the ruck, Gee, Harrington, Cockatoo-Motlap.

FT Lions 33 Suns 45

A lot of to like. A lot of talent. My favourite was Harris in the ruck, Gee, Harrington, Cockatoo-Motlap.
How exciting! Havana Harris is a Burleigh junior and is actually a bottom ager this year (draft eligible in 2023) but is already over 180cm in height. Harris is a very accomplished athlete who was a national champion in high jump, played high level state Oztag and finished second in the state for beach sprint. We're talking about a very talented athlete here but she's chosen to pursue footy and that's very exciting for us! Harris and Harrington are highly rated for next year's draft class.

Jed Walter, 16
Club: Palm Beach Currumbin
Position: Key Forward
Honours: 2022 National Academy, 2021 SUNS Academy U19 debut, 2021 U17 QLD, QLD U12, QLD U15, All Australian U15.
Jed is a deserving member of this year’s AFL National Academy as a bottom age player. He plays his best footy as an explosive key forward but can pinch hit in the ruck due to his incredible leap, power and 194cm frame. Jed made his debut for the SUNS Academy U19 team last year as a 15-year-old against the Dandenong Stingrays, where he impressed with this composure and ground level work. He recently had some experience training with the Gold Coast SUNS AFL team.

Palm Beach Currumbin's Jed Walter. Picture: Peter Wallis

Last edited:
Jed Walter, 16
Honours: 2022 National Academy, 2021 SUNS Academy U19 debut, 2021 U17 QLD, QLD U12, QLD U15, All Australian U15.
Jed is a deserving member of this year’s AFL National Academy as a bottom age player. He plays his best footy as an explosive key forward but can pinch hit in the ruck due to his incredible leap, power and 194cm frame. Jed made his debut for the SUNS Academy U19 team last year as a 15-year-old against the Dandenong Stingrays, where he impressed with this composure and ground level work. He recently had some experience training with the Gold Coast SUNS AFL team.

Palm Beach Currumbin's Jed Walter. Picture: Peter Wallis's Jed Walter. Picture: Peter Wallis

Twomey already started talking him up as a top prospect for 2023, last year.

Prepare for Twomey to start with the “potential number 1 pick, GC will need draft points” spin.

Prepare for Twomey to start with the “potential number 1 pick, GC will need draft points” spin.
There are 30 prospects mentioned in the article (17 Suns academy). This player got my attention from Lions.

Tom Gillett, 16
Club: Sherwood Magpies
Position: Key Forward / Ruck
Honours: Multiple schoolboys representative honours.

At 200cm and contested marking beast, Tom is a highly skilful player with very good footy IQ and good touch below his knees. He’s a multi sport athlete who is a new ball bowler in state cricket teams.

Last edited:
Just for those interested, this is the list of Suns academy players mentioned in the above article on 30 top prospects in QLD.

7 girls and 10 boys. Interestingly, only 2 girls and 3 boys are from GC, the rest are from Cairns, Townsville, Yeppoon.

Fleur Davies, 17, KF/R
Josie McCabe, 16, M/F
Ella Calleja, 17, F/M
Neive Ryan, 16, D
Siobhan Ross, 16, KF/M
Heidi Talbot, 16, M
Precious Simeona, 16, M

Jed Walter, 16, KF
Jared Eckersley, 17, M
Ethan Read, 16, R
Ben O'Brien, 17, M
Matthew Evans, 17, R
Xavier Cameron, 17, M
Christian Payne, 17, F/D
Harry Cook, 16, M/HF
Noah Cockerell, 17, KD
Maddox Hunt, 16, M

Last edited:
Just for those interested, this is the list of Suns academy players mentioned in the above article on 30 top prospects in QLD.

7 girls and 10 boys. Interestingly, only 2 girls and 3 boys are from GC, the rest are from Cairns, Townsville, Yeppoon.

Fleur Davies, 17, KF/R
Josie McCabe, 16, M/F
Ella Calleja, 17, F/M
Neive Ryan, 16, D
Siobhan Ross, 16, KF/M
Heidi Talbot, 16, M
Precious Simeona, 16, M

Jed Walter, 16, KF
Jared Eckersley, 17, M
Ethan Read, 16, R
Ben O'Brien, 17, M
Matthew Evans, 17, R
Xavier Cameron, 17, M
Christian Payne, 17, F/D
Harry Cook, 16, M/HF
Noah Cockerell, 17, KD
Maddox Hunt, 16, M

Interesting. For the boys, other than Jed, Jared and Ethan, none of these lads are in the current U19 Academy squad. Find it hard to believe they are amongst Qlds top prospects if they are not amongst the top 50 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 year olds in our academy……
None of these lads made Qld U17’s last year either.

Also interesting to note that the newly appointed U16/U17 Suns Academy coach, John Deitz, has just moved down from North Qld where he has been NQ Academy Coordinator……

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
There are 30 prospects mentioned in the article (17 Suns academy). This player got my attention from Lions.

Tom Gillett, 16
Club: Sherwood Magpies
Position: Key Forward / Ruck
Honours: Multiple schoolboys representative honours.

At 200cm and contested marking beast, Tom is a highly skilful player with very good footy IQ and good touch below his knees. He’s a multi sport athlete who is a new ball bowler in state cricket teams.
Ok if I c&p this to the Lions board?

Queensland Under 18 girls will play three matches as part the 2022 NAB AFL Women's National Championships to be played in March and April.
Tuesday 19 April: Queensland v Vic Metro (Gold Coast)
Friday 22 April: Vic Country v Queensland (Melbourne)
Saturday 30 April: Queensland v Allies (NT/Tas) (QLD)

Interesting. For the boys, other than Jed, Jared and Ethan, none of these lads are in the current U19 Academy squad. Find it hard to believe they are amongst Qlds top prospects if they are not amongst the top 50 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 year olds in our academy……
None of these lads made Qld U17’s last year either.

Also interesting to note that the newly appointed U16/U17 Suns Academy coach, John Deitz, has just moved down from North Qld where he has been NQ Academy Coordinator……
I've noticed this in the some of the lists produced by the GC Bulletin over the last few years. We know Eckersley and Walter are very talented and are Gold Coast locals but they didn't even mention Cody Harrington and he's supposed to be the best of the bunch. You wonder about this list...

Jed Walter, 16

Palm Beach Currumbin's Jed Walter. Picture: Peter Wallis's Jed Walter. Picture: Peter Wallis

Walter is our man. The best key forward to come through our zone/academy since Charlie Dixon and probably the best forward prospect to come out of Queensland since Nick Riewoldt. 194cm at 16 suggests he may still have a bit of growing to go so hopefully he doesn't go too much over 200cm and we retain his ability to play as a key forward, not as a ruck. I hope he gets talked about as a potential number one pick next year because there's absolutely no way we'll let him slip to another club and this is how the Sydney Swans were able to rebuild their list so quickly by getting multiple top 10 picks in through their academy in a short amount of time - Heeney, Mills, Blakey and Campbell. A forward line of King, Andrew and Walter would be a lot of fun to watch!

A Palmy junior the whole way through, this kid is the real deal. Now he gets to train against Liam Jones down at Salk Oval. That will be awesome for his development!

I've noticed this in the some of the lists produced by the GC Bulletin over the last few years. We know Eckersley and Walter are very talented and are Gold Coast locals but they didn't even mention Cody Harrington and he's supposed to be the best of the bunch. You wonder about this list...

Walter is our man. The best key forward to come through our zone/academy since Charlie Dixon and probably the best forward prospect to come out of Queensland since Nick Riewoldt. 194cm at 16 suggests he may still have a bit of growing to go so hopefully he doesn't go too much over 200cm and we retain his ability to play as a key forward, not as a ruck. I hope he gets talked about as a potential number one pick next year because there's absolutely no way we'll let him slip to another club and this is how the Sydney Swans were able to rebuild their list so quickly by getting multiple top 10 picks in through their academy in a short amount of time - Heeney, Mills, Blakey and Campbell. A forward line of King, Andrew and Walter would be a lot of fun to watch!

A Palmy junior the whole way through, this kid is the real deal. Now he gets to train against Liam Jones down at Salk Oval. That will be awesome for his development!
Eckers is the only one from this year's upcoming draft who may get selected. Bella an outside one for second chance. Harrington is too small in my opinion but definitely a goer. Jedd Walter the stand out for 2023. There will be interest far and wide for him. His old man lives in WA which also could be n issue if he wanted to go over there. Others who might step up in 2023 are Will Graham and Marlin Corbett - both good types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back